iFi Hip-DAC Impressions Thread
Mar 20, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #48 of 768
I received my hip dac yesterday. I don’t have much gear to compare to. It is really a warm dac. I used my Hyla Sarda it sounded good without xbass and I prefer that way.
I notice has some ch imbalance at low volume on my unit and pass that threshold was all gone. Battery life wasn’t really great imo. Not scientific but I got around 6-7hrs using tidal and lossless on my iphonex.

Mar 20, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #49 of 768
I received my hip dac yesterday. I don’t have much gear to compare to. It is really a warm dac. I used my Hyla Sarda it sounded good without xbass and I prefer that way.
I notice has some ch imbalance at low volume on my unit and pass that threshold was all gone. Battery life wasn’t really great imo. Not scientific but I got around 6-7hrs using tidal and lossless on my iphonex.
Nice! I just learned that my HiBy R6 Pro doesn’t support MQA so I’m not getting full quality listening to Tidal masters

I have a Dragonfly Red that i use to play Tidal from my iPhone but that’s limited to 24/96. It also doesn’t have balanced out for my IEMs

hip DAC sounds like just what I need! Too bad they’re sold out everywhere. Almost as hard to get as toilet paper :)

Mar 30, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #55 of 768
I want to buy this to use with Hifiman 400i and Sennheiser 650hd . Does anyone have an experience with these? Does it provide enough power ? Combined with Senn 650 ,will it sound a bit too much warm?

Apr 2, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #58 of 768
Just an FYI for those looking to use sensitive IEMs with this to look elsewhere. Both the Campfire Audio Andromeda and Solaris are unusable due to the noise floor of the unit. Also encountered hiss on a pair of UE 18+ too.

I've replied to Cadgers post a few times now but my Hip Dac arrived today and I've ran it through a bunch of combo's. Here's my initial impression:

Cadgers is correct. The Solaris are unusable. I've swapped to balanced and they're even worse. Noise floor is VERY audible. Huge difference from the Cobalt but for the wrong reasons. Haven't tried the Atlas yet but i'm assuming they'll be the same. I've tried it with Powermatch on and off both both balanced and un-balanced and the Solaris are a no go. So if you're looking for a good balanced combo look elsewhere. All of the Campfire products i've tried sound amazing through the Cobalt so that's my rec if you want something portable for cheaper and don't need to go balanced.

HD6XX's balanced sound incredible. Immediate difference in body, resolution and dynamic's. Huge difference between the Hip Dac and the Cobalt.
BLON-03 - I've got a Null Audio Arete 4.4mm cable for these and this combo is unbelievable. I'd be hard pressed to find another combo that sounds this good for so little.

Apr 3, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #59 of 768
Just an FYI for those looking to use sensitive IEMs with this to look elsewhere. Both the Campfire Audio Andromeda and Solaris are unusable due to the noise floor of the unit. Also encountered hiss on a pair of UE 18+ too.

Same happens with my Noble K10U. Noise floor is unacceptable and ifi suggest me their product call IEMatch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back