iFi Hip-DAC Impressions Thread
Mar 8, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #31 of 768
Just an FYI for those looking to use sensitive IEMs with this to look elsewhere. Both the Campfire Audio Andromeda and Solaris are unusable due to the noise floor of the unit. Also encountered hiss on a pair of UE 18+ too.

I’ve tested (and also reviewed on YT) the hip dac with my Fiio FA7. These IEMs work really well but I have got the power match switched off.

Mar 10, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #32 of 768
Just an FYI for those looking to use sensitive IEMs with this to look elsewhere. Both the Campfire Audio Andromeda and Solaris are unusable due to the noise floor of the unit. Also encountered hiss on a pair of UE 18+ too.
Listened to the Hip Dac at a local shop in Vancouver with the CA Solaris using an iPhone X as a source and encountered no noticeable hiss.

I also A/B Tested the Hip Dac vs the AudioQuest Cobalt and there's a huge difference in signature. The Burr Brown adds a lot of warmth to the Solaris.

I haven't tried the Hip Dac plugged into another source so i'm not sure what it sounds like. The Cobalt plugged into my Mac Mini sounds glorious and is dead quiet.

Mar 10, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #33 of 768
Listened to the Hip Dac at a local shop in Vancouver with the CA Solaris using an iPhone X as a source and encountered no noticeable hiss.

I also A/B Tested the Hip Dac vs the AudioQuest Cobalt and there's a huge difference in signature. The Burr Brown adds a lot of warmth to the Solaris.

I haven't tried the Hip Dac plugged into another source so i'm not sure what it sounds like. The Cobalt plugged into my Mac Mini sounds glorious and is dead quiet.

Used the iPhone 11 Max as the source for two different iFi Hip DACs and each had hiss. The Solaris was noticeable and the Andromeda/Solstice was unusable IMO.

Mar 10, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #34 of 768
Used the iPhone 11 Max as the source for two different iFi Hip DACs and each had hiss. The Solaris was noticeable and the Andromeda/Solstice was unusable IMO.
Thanks. Good to know as I haven't purchased it yet. They didn't have any in stock. I'll bring in my Solaris, 6XX and i'll test out the Atlas as that's the next IEM i'm looking to buy to make sure the Hip Dac is good before I purchase.

Mar 10, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #35 of 768
Mine has to go back. The USB connector is faulty. Not a fan of the design, but the sound quality was amazing with balanced cables to my HD600 and HD6XX.

Also the USB cable is too short. Another inch would be better.

Mar 11, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #36 of 768
Anyone who owns the Hip Dac already find a good case for it?
I’d love to use it as an on the go option hooked to an iPhone X. I’m currently using a Cobalt but want something warmer and balanced.

Mar 11, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #37 of 768
It’s a very attractive, well designed piece of hardware that worked well with IEMs and various headphones (Focal Elex, DT1990, 58x). I found the sound signature too warm for my tastes though, and ended up returning it (YMMV). I find the BTR5 easier to use with a sound sig more to my liking.

Mar 11, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #38 of 768
It’s a very attractive, well designed piece of hardware that worked well with IEMs and various headphones (Focal Elex, DT1990, 58x). I found the sound signature too warm for my tastes though, and ended up returning it (YMMV). I find the BTR5 easier to use with a sound sig more to my liking.
I've already got a Cobalt which I find perfect (balanced/neutral) but not warm at all. I'm looking for a different signature so I have both options. Just not sure how i'm going to stack it.

Mar 11, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #39 of 768
I've already got a Cobalt which I find perfect (balanced/neutral) but not warm at all. I'm looking for a different signature so I have both options. Just not sure how i'm going to stack it.

If you’re looking for a warmer signature, the Hip Dac will certainly provide that.

Mar 11, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #40 of 768
iFi has released their Hip-DAC, a $149/£149 portable DAC with S-Balanced 3.5mm single ended and a 4.4mm balanced output.

The DAC, a Burr-Brown DSD1793, is capable of supporting native playback up to DSD 256/DXD 384/PCM 384kHz and MQA.

It utilizes quad J-Fet OV4627A OPamps and can output 2.0V/400mW @16 Ohm. It's powered by a li-po 2200mAh battery, and weighs 125g. Charging is via a separate USB-C input, and battery is stated to last up to 12 hours.

It's got the iFi treatment, with a male USB-A inset input, connecting to the V.4 AMR XMOS chipset for a stable, quality connection. It's got an XBass bass boost, as well as switchable gain in their Power Match toggle.

Oh, and this little thing is able to plug into a PC and work as a USB DAC from your Window or Mac computer.

I'm currently using it as a portable DAC for an iPod and Pixel 4. With UAPP on the Pixel 4, I can get MQA, but otherwise Tidal will suffer the Android SRC and output 16-bit 44.1kHz. Honestly, I can't tell the difference on the go, so I'm a happy camper!

One thing I will note: on the iPod, volume is maxed out, and on low volumes, the Hip-DAC has a noticeable channel imbalance, which can be corrected in the iPod accessibility settings. However, out of the P4 (with or without UAPP) I can control the volume output on the phone. Reducing volume on the phone and raising it on the Hip-DAC will eliminate the imbalance and allow for a very enjoyable experience.

What do the rest of you think about this little offering from iFi?

How's the extra bass feature?

Mar 11, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #42 of 768
I found it to be overbearing, but I have an aversion to heavy bass. This was with Elex, DT1990, HD58X, and FiiO FH5.
It is a bit overbearing. For most of my gear I’d never really use it. On the 6XX’s I think it brings some fun. I listen to a lot of EDM, Hip-Hop & R&B so I’m a bit of a bass head and it’s a fun feature to have. On the Solaris it changes the signature quite a bit.

Mar 12, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #44 of 768
Does the bass lean boomy or tight?
On the Solaris it leans boomy with more body but still controlled. There must be a vast array of unit variance. The two I listened to at Headphone Bar in Vancouver had no noticeable hiss on any of my test tracks. Was it dead silent like the Cobalt or the M11 Pro? No, but definitely not un-useable. Maybe I need more time with it. I have noticed a lot of bad units. Headphone Bar had two returns with 10 units so QC may be an issue.

Mar 13, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #45 of 768
Do you think I’d have this problem with JH Lola’s connected with JH’s balanced cable + 2.5/4.4mm adapter?

this device would give me a lot of what I want.My Dragonfly Red sounds good with my iPhone but no balanced...

my ES100 has balanced, but doesn’t sound very good in DAC mode -> iPhone playing tidal masters because it doesn’t have MQA

I could also listen to Tidal and Qobuz from my iPhone on my Audeze LCD-2’s with the balanced 4.4 cable. Right now I really can only listen to stuff from my HiBy R6 Pro with the Audeze’s unless I want to switch cables

would love some expert advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back