iFi audio ZEN Stream - Streaming elevated to a higher plane
Apr 6, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #3,916 of 5,865
ZEN Stream is a computer that relies on its OS that has multiple software processes engaged and their optimizations aren't anything new. A streamer's software layer in general greatly impacts its audio performance, so knowing that we took the extra step to really shut down everything but just one user-selected mode of operation.
I agree with this but you could go further. :wink:
My "exclusive NAA mode" :

Code:
volumio@ifi:~$ pstree -A
systemd-+-agetty
        |-networkaudiod---{networkaudiod}
        |-sshd---sshd---sshd---bash---pstree
        |-streamer-irq

Code:
volumio@ifi:~$ cset shield  -v -v
cset: --> shielding system active with
cset: "system" cpuset of CPUSPEC(0-2) with 8 tasks running
   USER       PID  PPID SPPr TASK NAME
   -------- ----- ----- ---- ---------
   root         1     0 Soth [systemd]
   root       781     1 Soth [sshd]
   root       909     1 Soth [streamer-irq]
   root      1027     1 Soth [agetty]
   root      1061   781 Soth [sshd]
   volumio   1065  1061 Soth [sshd]
   volumio   1067  1065 Soth -bash
   volumio   1076  1067 Roth /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/cset shield -v -v
cset: "user" cpuset of CPUSPEC(3) with 2 tasks running
   USER       PID  PPID SPPr TASK NAME
   -------- ----- ----- ---- ---------
   root       895     1 Sr98 [networkaudiod]
   root      1056     1 Sf_1 [networkaudiod]

And I'm still hoping for an unlocked PC768 / DSD 512 / Dop 256 stream. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #3,917 of 5,865
Thanks for your feedback and we've asked our R&D about this. We'll be happy to address this matter further as soon as we get a reply, thanks!

ZEN Stream is a computer that relies on its OS that has multiple software processes engaged and their optimizations aren't anything new. A streamer's software layer in general greatly impacts its audio performance, so knowing that we took the extra step to really shut down everything but just one user-selected mode of operation.
OK, I’ll buy it—but please, let’s get it working! In the meantime I might factory reset and forgo the beta for now—as I’ve said the Roon Bridge is a feature I’ve long adored about the ZS and I see nothing of additional benefit with the “Roon Ready” status. If it was already handling the RAAT protocol as a bridge, what else does the Roon Ready “upgrade” offer?

Also, any thoughts on why with the new firmware Roon is still populating the default maximum DSD resolution as 512, if the ZS can’t pass this through to my DAC? When I try to upsample to 512 Roon skips endlessly through tracks, unable to play them. At 256 it works fine.

Finally, is there any hope that a firmware upgrade could increase the ZS’s maximum resolution to PCM 786/DSD 512?

Thanks for the personal and prompt response, as always.

Apr 6, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #3,918 of 5,865
I recently purchased a Zen Stream, along with a Zen DAC Signature V2. My ZS is hard wired to my LAN via Ethernet and out to the Internet via AT&T fiber. The local Ethernet connection speed is 1 Gbps to my AT&T Fiber Router, and my Internet access is about 375 Mbps (up and down). I am using Tidal along with a USB thumb drive that has a copy of my iTunes library.

When I updated the ZS firmware to the latest production release (not beta), I had all kinds of problems and had to reset the system back to the factory installed firmware to be able to consistently stream Tidal (controlled from an iPhone). I tried updating about 5 times and had to revert back each time. I did lose the ability to have ZS do the unfolding of MQA for Tidal when I went back to the prior firmware. iFi needs to drastically improve the quality of their firmware testing, and I am not just talking about beta releases. Right now, I am experiencing some occasional freezes when streaming Tidal, but it works most of the time.

I contacted iFi support about the connection problems with the latest production firmware, but they didn't even understand what I asked them, and they told me it works better when the ZS is connected to Ethernet, even though I told them it was already to connected to my LAN via Ethernet and out to the Internet via Ethernet fiber. So contacting iFi support may be a waste of time.

Supposedly the reason for using an exclusive mode rather than AIO is that it shuts down some unnecessary processing that goes on, and the ZS already runs pretty warm since it is basically a PC without any fans inside. But as you experienced, using the hardware switch to do exclusive modes does not work. with the latest production firmware.
This is a bit off topic, but if you don't mind me asking, how do you find the Zen Stream / Zen Dac Signature V2 combo, soundwise? I've used the Zen Stream linked to a Hegel H95 via Coax, for Tidal Connect only (on ethernet, with good cables and stable connection) with good results and no dropouts. I've been away from home for a few months now and decided to buy a Signature V2 to replace the internal DAC in the Hegel. I won't be able to use it until August, when I'll be home again, and can't find many references to this combo. in the usual review sites. I know it adds higher resolution and full MQA to my setup, but I'm more interested in what it does to the sound. Thank you

Apr 6, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #3,919 of 5,865
I recently purchased a Zen Stream, along with a Zen DAC Signature V2. My ZS is hard wired to my LAN via Ethernet and out to the Internet via AT&T fiber. The local Ethernet connection speed is 1 Gbps to my AT&T Fiber Router, and my Internet access is about 375 Mbps (up and down). I am using Tidal along with a USB thumb drive that has a copy of my iTunes library.

When I updated the ZS firmware to the latest production release (not beta), I had all kinds of problems and had to reset the system back to the factory installed firmware to be able to consistently stream Tidal (controlled from an iPhone). I tried updating about 5 times and had to revert back each time. I did lose the ability to have ZS do the unfolding of MQA for Tidal when I went back to the prior firmware. iFi needs to drastically improve the quality of their firmware testing, and I am not just talking about beta releases. Right now, I am experiencing some occasional freezes when streaming Tidal, but it works most of the time.

I contacted iFi support about the connection problems with the latest production firmware, but they didn't even understand what I asked them, and they told me it works better when the ZS is connected to Ethernet, even though I told them it was already to connected to my LAN via Ethernet and out to the Internet via Ethernet fiber. So contacting iFi support may be a waste of time.

Supposedly the reason for using an exclusive mode rather than AIO is that it shuts down some unnecessary processing that goes on, and the ZS already runs pretty warm since it is basically a PC without any fans inside. But as you experienced, using the hardware switch to do exclusive modes does not work. with the latest production firmware.
I’m with ya. But I will say that @iFi audio has historically been very responsive to feedback both on here and when I’ve gotten them on the phone, and they’ve already responded to my earlier post with acknowledgment of my issues a day after I reported them.

I say let’s give them a chance to work out the bugs—they certainly came through triumphantly to feedback about the xDSD Gryphon, despite a premature onslaught of bad faith on here within the first six weeks of launch.

@iFi audio, if you’re reading this, your products are truly unique, feature-rich and extraordinarily well-executed—and I’m a stalwart fan. The only flaw I would continue to level at your company is that you tend to market features before they’re ready for use. And I think you do this so unnecessarily—your products are brilliant without the false promises, and I think this practice consistently sabotages your consumer confidence, every time. It would be so much more satisfying if you just launched new releases as-is, and SURPRISED us with new features as they are perfected!

Apr 6, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #3,920 of 5,865
This is a bit off topic, but if you don't mind me asking, how do you find the Zen Stream / Zen Dac Signature V2 combo, soundwise? I've used the Zen Stream linked to a Hegel H95 via Coax, for Tidal Connect only (on ethernet, with good cables and stable connection) with good results and no dropouts. I've been away from home for a few months now and decided to buy a Signature V2 to replace the internal DAC in the Hegel. I won't be able to use it until August, when I'll be home again, and can't find many references to this combo. in the usual review sites. I know it adds higher resolution and full MQA to my setup, but I'm more interested in what it does to the sound. Thank you
You didn’t ask me directly, but I wasted a lot of cash “upgrading” DACs, one after the other, in pursuit of the sound quality I was happy with. And if you really are serious about sound and can spend a little more, consider getting a Topping D90se or a Gustard x18 when they are on sale, even if it hurts your wallet temporarily.

They’re the two highest-measuring DACs currently on the market, they pair flawlessly with the ZS via USB, and that’ll open up your options to truly high-resolution audio. You can’t go wrong with either one (the Gustard is about $150 cheaper), and once you hear either of them, you’ll never look back.

Apr 6, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #3,921 of 5,865
Hard reset and back to original software to get the official software and remove the beta.

Now roon does not update the bridge software, gives an error on bridge software update.

Could be on the roon site, frustrating coincidence.

6BD27CEB-8130-462B-942C-D48B0BC72917.jpeg
That totally sucks.

Apr 6, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #3,922 of 5,865
I'm a bit confused here, are you saying Roon isn't working for you since the update?

Over had no issues other than I miss the ability to use both outputs at the same time, I'll take the loss so I can stop hearing Roon "Ready" 😂😂😂

E1DB51C5-6CA7-4458-957F-5DE6C348994B.jpeg

Cheers!!
The issue is that after this latest firmware upgrade, when you switch the ZS to “Roon Exclusive” mode, Roon won’t let you go above 192 PCM and 24 bit. With AIO mode, the full 384/32/256 resolution is available.

Apr 6, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #3,923 of 5,865
The Zen DAC Signature V2 sounds fine to me, but I can't say whether it would sound better than the DAC built into the Hegel H95. I assume that the freeze problems I am having are from the Zen Stream and not the Zen DAC, but again I don't know for sure. One thing to consider is that the Zen DAC Signature V2 does not have balanced outputs, which might be useful to those who need longer cable runs to their amp, either initially or at some time in the future. But the Zen DAC only cost $299 plus tax.

Apr 6, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #3,924 of 5,865
Would be nice to have an option to select the version of firmware to update to.
I was using the previous beta firmware 2.31.3 and was working great.
I have my music on my USB drive & was playing a folder with music files that was repeating.
Trying to run in a Amplifier and play 24/7.
Just updated the other day to 2.31.4 and now my music cuts out after an hour or so.
The light on the right goes out on the ifi zen.
Logging into to the ifi zen (phone or PC) it appears that it is still playing but have no sound. So click on the track and it starts again playing, the right light goes on again and my music is heard.

What would be great if I could go back to 2.31.3 and then as a newer firmware comes out, I could then try that if so inclined.
Currently now, I might have to think about a reset and going to released firmware to see if it works again like before.
Or wait again for the next update in the hope it returns my Zen back to its previous continuous state.

Also if I have to reset my IFI zen, I have to enter all my subscription Radio stations in manually. Takes a bit of time. Radiotunes, DIFM etc
If it was at all possible to have a button that exports my radio stations to a file after I enter them, then if reset, I could import them?
Not that important but would save a lot of time. :)

ADDED: Not using Roon or itunes or tidal.
Was just listening to tracks from my radio stations and off a USB drive. Was also going to look at connecting my other PC's to have access to my music on them.

Might format my External 1TB drive a Samsung t7 and copy the files back onto it, just in case that helps at all. I noticed a dud folder on there but was there before a firmware upgrade of the zen.
Update: Formatting the t7 drive and putting my music files back on did not help.

Update: It plays fine with another folder that has my DSD music. So could be just that one folder I am having a problem with.
Also copied a lot more files recently to that folder, so maybe too many now. Could be 600+ all 320kps files. Will do more testing.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2022 at 6:09 AM Post #3,925 of 5,865
@iFi audio, if you’re reading this, your products are truly unique, feature-rich and extraordinarily well-executed—and I’m a stalwart fan. The only flaw I would continue to level at your company is that you tend to market features before they’re ready for use. And I think you do this so unnecessarily—your products are brilliant without the false promises, and I think this practice consistently sabotages your consumer confidence, every time. It would be so much more satisfying if you just launched new releases as-is, and SURPRISED us with new features as they are perfected!

Thanks, we take in and process all kinds of feedback, be it good or bad. After reading this thread some issues raised by the communit were passed on and we'll keep everyone updated about any changes :)

Also, any thoughts on why with the new firmware Roon is still populating the default maximum DSD resolution as 512, if the ZS can’t pass this through to my DAC? When I try to upsample to 512 Roon skips endlessly through tracks, unable to play them. At 256 it works fine.

Finally, is there any hope that a firmware upgrade could increase the ZS’s maximum resolution to PCM 786/DSD 512?

I'll get back to you on that shortly, thanks!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 7, 2022 at 6:14 AM Post #3,926 of 5,865
You didn’t ask me directly, but I wasted a lot of cash “upgrading” DACs, one after the other, in pursuit of the sound quality I was happy with. And if you really are serious about sound and can spend a little more, consider getting a Topping D90se or a Gustard x18 when they are on sale, even if it hurts your wallet temporarily.

They’re the two highest-measuring DACs currently on the market, they pair flawlessly with the ZS via USB, and that’ll open up your options to truly high-resolution audio. You can’t go wrong with either one (the Gustard is about $150 cheaper), and once you hear either of them, you’ll never look back.
Thank you. I've already purchased the Signature V2 but it's always good to know about other people's experiences.

Apr 7, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #3,927 of 5,865
Thank you. I've already purchased the Signature V2 but it's always good to know about other people's experiences.
The Signature v2 is a great unit. Enjoy!

Apr 7, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #3,928 of 5,865
The issue is that after this latest firmware upgrade, when you switch the ZS to “Roon Exclusive” mode, Roon won’t let you go above 192 PCM and 24 bit. With AIO mode, the full 384/32/256 resolution is available.
Yes, I have read that.

I was referring to the original post about him not being able to get it working with the Roon update.

Could someone please point me in the right direction to find some of these over 192 HiRez files in the streaming services? I generally can't find much past 192? I am interested in checking them out. I know at one time there were a few 2L files over that mark, so I am just looking to check them out for myself. Or are these personally purchased, or upsampled files everyone is referring to?

Thanks!

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 7, 2022 at 8:14 AM Post #3,929 of 5,865
I’m with ya. But I will say that @iFi audio has historically been very responsive to feedback both on here and when I’ve gotten them on the phone, and they’ve already responded to my earlier post with acknowledgment of my issues a day after I reported them.

I say let’s give them a chance to work out the bugs—they certainly came through triumphantly to feedback about the xDSD Gryphon, despite a premature onslaught of bad faith on here within the first six weeks of launch.

Honestly, this thing has been out for almost a year now. I would expect the Zen Stream V2 shortly... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apr 7, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #3,930 of 5,865
Honestly, this thing has been out for almost a year now. I would expect the Zen Stream V2 shortly... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Ha! No kidding. Although more likely the “Zen Stream Signature”.

Today I woke up to even more interesting Roon settings—it defaulted to “Error” for DSD resolution and is now showing 5.1 and 7.1 channel options. Something is being fiddled with as we speak…

Attachments

• 96EDB7EC-BB25-4E65-A1EE-44AC70054D39.png
    96EDB7EC-BB25-4E65-A1EE-44AC70054D39.png
    415.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back