iFi audio ZEN Stream - Streaming elevated to a higher plane
Mar 31, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #3,886 of 5,863
Set the DSP's "sample rate conversion" to DSD and DSD128.
connected via USB to Hugo 2.

When DSD 256, is set, 44.1 khz 16 bit Tidal flac tracks are skipped by Roon.

For SPDIF, the conversion rate for DSD is defaulted to DSD64 only.

Can someone explain please?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #3,887 of 5,863
Set the DSP's "sample rate conversion" to DSD and DSD128.
connected via USB to Hugo 2.

When DSD 256, is set, 44.1 khz 16 bit Tidal flac tracks are skipped by Roon.

For SPDIF, the conversion rate for DSD is defaulted to DSD64 only.

Can someone explain please?

Thanks.
The Hugo2 supports "native DSD" but nothing in the process makes it switch to dop mode ? hence the limitation to DSD128 / PCM 384.
It seems to be this :
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-hugo-2-the-official-thread.831345/post-14597821

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/native-dsd-chord-hugo-2/35777

That is LAME. With the new beta firmware its harder to select between SPDIF and USB.
if you want to disable the spdif, you have to block the module by getting your hands in the grease via ssh :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #3,890 of 5,863
Another issue i have come across is that the zen stream won't allow me to select dsd direct. Every time I select dsd direct from the drop down menu in the ifi app and hit save, it reverts to dsd over dop. I've got a gustard x26 pro connected to the zen stream which is capable of dsd native.

Do you come across this issue selecting any other formats, or is just DSD?

What app are you trying to play DSD from?

Since we don't have all the information (hardware limitations), it is very likely that the limit to PCM 384 and therefore DSD128 for dac's that go through dop mode is a kernel problem.
It would be really nice to have all the information to push "Optimised open-source architecture" to the maximum.
When will a new kernel be released ?

I currently don't have an ETA on when/if we are planning to release a new kernel. Happy to ask for you.

That is LAME. With the new beta firmware its harder to select between SPDIF and USB.

What issue are you experiencing when selecting SPDIF and USB?

Beta after beta issue still arise as it fix something and break something. I think the next stream will have most this issue resolve with volumio 3. Reason I think volumio move to v3 as it was written the code from ground up and up to date features and security.

Thank you for the suggestion! We appreciate it - I currently don't have any info I can share in regards to Volumio 3, but if we do, we'll communicate that here!

Mar 31, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #3,891 of 5,863
In latest beta in position 2 roon exclusive how to use the USB connection, spdif is present and I have nothing connected by spdif, but the usb is connected and there is no way in roon to make it work when on the back of the dac is on position 2 roon exclusive. In All In One position on the web interface works after selecting the usb on the settings, why not in roon exclusive when selected. Strange but is a beta Is to be expected.

the DSD 128 limitation is only present on the IFi, when playing DSD 256 on one of my dac’s this is also present, my sms200 does not do this, yes we need a new updated kernel to have the dsd256 over dop.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #3,892 of 5,863
Confirmed, USB doesn't work in Roon exclusive mode. Apart from that, Roon Works exceptionally well now. Switching between Roon and AirPlay didn't work correctly previously (Airplay stopped making sound), that appears to be fixed now. Fix this USB issue and all is well for me (well, airplay 2 would be nice...).

Apr 1, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #3,893 of 5,863
In latest beta in position 2 roon exclusive how to use the USB connection, spdif is present and I have nothing connected by spdif, but the usb is connected and there is no way in roon to make it work when on the back of the dac is on position 2 roon exclusive. In All In One position on the web interface works after selecting the usb on the settings, why not in roon exclusive when selected. Strange but is a beta Is to be expected.

the DSD 128 limitation is only present on the IFi, when playing DSD 256 on one of my dac’s this is also present, my sms200 does not do this, yes we need a new updated kernel to have the dsd256 over dop.
I’m able to upsample my audio stream in Roon to DSD 256 and the ZS plays fine. If I try upsampling to DSD 512, the tracks skip one after the other and the ZS won’t play them. I have my ZS connected to a Topping d90se.

In regard to other issues with the new firmware, for my audio setup in Roon, I have the audio settings for the ZS set to MQA “decoding and rendering”, and “Enable MQA Core Decoder’ set to “off”, since the Topping is a full decoder. With these settings I’m able to play MQA Studio files instead of MQB, since the Roon software first unfold is disabled and the ZS passes the MQA signal through to the Topping to perform all unfolds. Note that with the new “Roon Ready” capability for the ZS, its recommended settings are quite different—it defaults to MQA rendering only, with the core decoder on. This setup does not allow me to play MQA Studio like my custom settings do—presumably because not all DACs are full decoders. But if you have a full decoding DAC, my custom settings are the way to go.

I did notice that the ZS is now showing a maximum PCM rate of 384, whereas before this latest update it allowed up to 768–this is appropriate because although my Topping will support 786, the maximum the ZS handles is 384.

What I remain unsure about is whether the Roon Ready certification actually handles the RAAT transport system any differently than before. Although the Roon literature suggests that a Roon Ready designation is required to utilize RAAT, even before I updated the ZS firmware to Roon Ready status, the Roon app suggested that it was using RAAT for audio transport.

Finally, before the update the ZS showed up as a Roon Bridge in the “about” section of the Roon settings. This has now disappeared. This is odd to me because the ZS still has a Roon Bridge built within, and its bridge version used to be updatable. Wonder how this will be handled moving forward?

Apr 1, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #3,894 of 5,863
Without a deep update (kernel change), the ZS only allows native DSD limited to 256 (128 in dop mode) and PCM 384.
For the display change (disappearance of the RoonBridge mention) well... it's just a display change. :wink:
Nothing changes but the Roon Ready status by consistency displays the device by its name... that's what I conclude (it's a form of certification, not a technical change).
To switch back to the statndard firmware, you have to disable beta mode and update again.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #3,895 of 5,863
I’m able to upsample my audio stream in Roon to DSD 256 and the ZS plays fine. If I try upsampling to DSD 512, the tracks skip one after the other and the ZS won’t play them. I have my ZS connected to a Topping d90se.

In regard to other issues with the new firmware, for my audio setup in Roon, I have the audio settings for the ZS set to MQA “decoding and rendering”, and “Enable MQA Core Decoder’ set to “off”, since the Topping is a full decoder. With these settings I’m able to play MQA Studio files instead of MQB, since the Roon software first unfold is disabled and the ZS passes the MQA signal through to the Topping to perform all unfolds. Note that with the new “Roon Ready” capability for the ZS, its recommended settings are quite different—it defaults to MQA rendering only, with the core decoder on. This setup does not allow me to play MQA Studio like my custom settings do—presumably because not all DACs are full decoders. But if you have a full decoding DAC, my custom settings are the way to go.

I did notice that the ZS is now showing a maximum PCM rate of 384, whereas before this latest update it allowed up to 768–this is appropriate because although my Topping will support 786, the maximum the ZS handles is 384.

What I remain unsure about is whether the Roon Ready certification actually handles the RAAT transport system any differently than before. Although the Roon literature suggests that a Roon Ready designation is required to utilize RAAT, even before I updated the ZS firmware to Roon Ready status, the Roon app suggested that it was using RAAT for audio transport.

Finally, before the update the ZS showed up as a Roon Bridge in the “about” section of the Roon settings. This has now disappeared. This is odd to me because the ZS still has a Roon Bridge built within, and its bridge version used to be updatable. Wonder how this will be handled moving forward?
Thanks for sharing that useful information. I, too, have a full decoder/renderer DAC. However, there is one caveat to your settings: If you're using any DSP (EQ or convolution etc.) you need to turn the Enable MQA Core Decoder on to preserve the MQA data through the audio chain. It seems to be related to the way Roon does DSP. I've verified this with my DAC display.

Apr 1, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #3,897 of 5,863
is there roon ready certification with the latest beta?
I don't understand why people hang on to this certification... it works very well as a "Roon Tested" device. :wink:
But I see a real point in it if the "Roon Ready" statement complies with what Roon describes here :

https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/roon-ready#Technology

The RAAT technology is the backbone of the Roon Ready program. It offers technological benefits such as:
  1. Network auto-discovery of devices
  2. Highly reliable daily operation
  3. 32-bit/768khz PCM playback
  4. DSD playback
  5. Multi-channel playback
  6. DAC as its own clock master
  7. Two-way communication (for volume, mute, convenience switching, metadata displays, standby controls, and other commands)
  8. Multi-room synchronization of devices from different manufacturers For more information on the design goals and philosophy behind RAAT, see here.

Does the entire scope of RAAT have to be respected?
If so, would that mean that Zen could stream 768 PCM ?
Or could it be "Roon ready" limited to 384... small "Roon ready" ? :sweat:

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #3,898 of 5,863
Thanks for sharing that useful information. I, too, have a full decoder/renderer DAC. However, there is one caveat to your settings: If you're using any DSP (EQ or convolution etc.) you need to turn the Enable MQA Core Decoder on to preserve the MQA data through the audio chain. It seems to be related to the way Roon does DSP. I've verified this with my DAC display.
I haven’t found that to be the case—let me do some tweaking and see if I encounter what you’re describing. I’ve used convolution files and parametric EQ settings without any issues with MQA to my knowledge, if I set the audio settings to “decoder and renderer”. All I know is that if the software first unfold is on, it’s impossible to get MQA Studio—by definition that first unfold forces MQB decoding only

What DAC are you using out of curiosity?

Apr 1, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #3,899 of 5,863
Well you appear to be right about the MQA output with DSP, but I’m not sure what is going on to be honest. Here’s the signal chain when I have a parametric EQ enabled with the MQA software unfold off, vs on (see photos):

With it off, it seems to recognize the MQA file type, but my DAC shows 48 kHz PCM (?). With it on, the DAC shows 96khz OFS, even though the file is 192. I suspect that this is a result of MQB that it is not completing the final unfold or decoding MQA Studio.

Fortunately I have an amp with analog bass enhancement (the iFi Pro iCAN Signature), so I don’t need EQ adjustments. But it sucks that Roon doesn’t offer a full unfold option with DSPs enabled.

Attachments

• 878FF7D8-C195-473A-9928-B8DEEF2FCA8E.png
    878FF7D8-C195-473A-9928-B8DEEF2FCA8E.png
    724.6 KB · Views: 0
  • B2102A70-6255-491B-95F0-C967AC863614.png
    B2102A70-6255-491B-95F0-C967AC863614.png
    755.3 KB · Views: 0
Apr 1, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #3,900 of 5,863
Well you appear to be right about the MQA output with DSP, but I’m not sure what is going on to be honest. Here’s the signal chain when I have a parametric EQ enabled with the MQA software unfold off, vs on (see photos):

With it off, it seems to recognize the MQA file type, but my DAC shows 48 kHz PCM (?). With it on, the DAC shows 96khz OFS, even though the file is 192. I suspect that this is a result of MQB that it is not completing the final unfold or decoding MQA Studio.

Fortunately I have an amp with analog bass enhancement (the iFi Pro iCAN Signature), so I don’t need EQ adjustments. But it sucks that Roon doesn’t offer a full unfold option with DSPs enabled.

FYI, with my A&K SP1000M (Roon Ready), I get MQA full unfolds displayed on the screen (including 192 kHz) when using DSP. It makes sense to me that Roon needs to handle the first (core) unfold to apply the DSP and then reconstruct the stream for the renderer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back