iFi audio ZEN Stream - Streaming elevated to a higher plane
Mar 24, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #3,856 of 5,865
I thought I saw people were having issues with Spotify Connect...

I just updated the ZS to Newest beta and I have no issues to report. Guys let me know if I'm missing something...

Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 8.26.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 8.28.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 8.29.06 AM.png

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 24, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #3,857 of 5,865
Agreed, but try to remember I am not having any issues with the ZS. It has been working for me for the whole time I have had it without issues. I agree I have seen and experienced the issue many have come across here and tried to help them out by giving what has proven to be (so far) an almost foolproof setup method to avoid issues.

I believe that many of the issues with Tidal are not all iFi fault, and some lie with the Tidal app themselves. I also would like to point out that perhaps I have no issues because I am not a menu digger, If it sounds good out of the box settings, I leave it alone!! If I have no need for buffer settings, upsampling, or the like, I have often found that sometimes the factory settings are best. In fact I have very rarely found a need to change the dial on the back. Now that may be just me not hearing any huge difference to warrant those changes, so take that for what it's worth.

I agree that it would be wonderful to have an app like Wiim for the ZS, but I never expected that type off app so I am not missing it. Just Me!

Cheers!!
You’re using Roon, a third party program that manage your music and pay monthly fee. Most of us want everything that came with the unit to work out of the box without paying extra service such as roon Or audirvana. Since you have wiim on hand, get linear power supply before you compare it to stream because you’re using a better power supply on stream so it’s not Apple to apple comparison. Yea, my stream is in the closet now because every updates from beta it fix something and break something. Until stream move to volumio v3, no updates will fix the problem.

Mar 24, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #3,858 of 5,865
Tidal connect is f*ckd,whoever the person in charge of the software ought to be sacked ASAP,this software is the laughing stock on multiple forums,its that bad I'm lost for words
Get yourself a wiim for just 99 and your frustration of not working will go away. Add linear power supply on wiim and it can compete to other streamer that cost more.

Mar 24, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #3,859 of 5,865
You’re using Roon, a third party program that manage your music and pay monthly fee. Most of us want everything that came with the unit to work out of the box without paying extra service such as roon Or audirvana. Since you have wiim on hand, get linear power supply before you compare it to stream because you’re using a better power supply on stream so it’s not Apple to apple comparison. Yea, my stream is in the closet now because every updates from beta it fix something and break something. Until stream move to volumio v3, no updates will fix the problem.
iFi stated some time ago that they have no plans to support Volumio 3. This worries me. The ZS is running a version of Debian (jessie 8, 32 bit) delcared as "end of life" in January 2020. There are many related security issues (see here: Debian jessie) that will not be patched (and last patched in 2018) leaving iFi to attend to them. The nature of iFi's relationship with Volumio (if any) has never been made clear. Volumio 3.0 has now moved to 64 bit support and the latest Debian version meaning that security patches will be regularly available. Other than the undisclosed audio enhancements made to the ZS software, it is clear that the interface is stock Volumio 2 classic mode (with the exception of the iFi logo and the link to ifi-audio.com). I really think iFi should be more transparent on the software side of the ZS, the relationship to Volumio, and future plans to address security issues.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #3,860 of 5,865
I have never hid the fact that I use Roon, and am glad to pay for it as it works wonderfully.

I also have used every supposed "won't work for me" program that just about anyone has posted here in an attempt at helping! I have also subscribed to every streaming service I could to help people here. So lets break down what has happened in regards to this post.

"Most of us want everything that came with the unit to work out of the box without paying extra service"...

It does work and always has! Differences in the way people have dug into menus, and network issues that have been apparent, and the rushing into firmware betas has helped no one!! I myself resisted posting how to do the beta's until it was well out of the bag. If you don't believe me then I don't know what to say about that.

"Or audirvana"...

Audirvana is a pay service, and even that works nowhere near as well as Roon, I would know I pay for it.

"Since you have wiim on hand, get linear power supply before you compare it to stream"...

So you wan't me to put a 300 dollar linear PS on the unit? Does that add to the 99 dollars you keep referring to or no?

"Until stream move to volumio v3"

Don't remember anyone saying anything about this, and I would hope they don't! I also have Volume 3 and it is a waste of money without the premiere! Again an add on service which you don't want to pay for!

I will say again, I am waiting and talking with the people from Wiim before I make any judgements. As it stands right now If I opened my mouth and compared it to the ZS I would have to say The Wiim sounds extremely Harsh out of the box, and not worth it for a main "Audiophile" listening area. Again I will say, that is very preliminary, but it would have been enough for me to return it, had I not communicated with Wiim.

I will say again, if you believe this unit with a linear PS is the cats meow, Please start thread on it so others can benefit from your experience with it! I said I would if the unit is too my liking, right now it is not.

I do not see the point of just popping in here to comment on the Wiim, like you are doing.

So now I need to go get my LPS all hooked up to it. Oh and I mine as well break out my 149 dollar Glass Optical cable, just to make sure I'm putting to use my 99 + 200+149 Wiim mini! :sweat_smile:

Cheers!!

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 24, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #3,861 of 5,865
I have never hid the fact that I use Roon, and am glad to pay for it as it works wonderfully.

I also have used every supposed "won't work for me" program that just about anyone has posted here in an attempt at helping! I have also subscribed to every streaming service I could to help people here. So lets break down what has happened in regards to this post.

"Most of us want everything that came with the unit to work out of the box without paying extra service"...

It does work and always has! Differences in the way people have dug into menus, and network issues that have been apparent, and the rushing into firmware betas has helped no one!! I myself resisted posting how to do the beta's until it was well out of the bag. If you don't believe me then I don't know what to say about that.

"Or audirvana"...

Audirvana is a pay service, and even that works nowhere near as well as Roon, I would know I pay for it.

"Since you have wiim on hand, get linear power supply before you compare it to stream"...

So you wan't me to put a 300 dollar linear PS on the unit? Does that add to the 99 dollars you keep referring to or no?

Don't remember anyone saying anything about this, and I would hope they don't! I also have Volume 3 and it is a waste of money without the premiere! Again an add on service which you don't want to pay for!

I will say again, I am waiting and talking with the people from Wiim before I make any judgements. As it stands right now If I opened my mouth and compared it to the ZS I would have to say The Wiim sounds extremely Harsh out of the box, and not worth it for a main "Audiophile" listening area. Again I will say, that is very preliminary, but it would have been enough for me to return it, had I not communicated with Wiim.

I will say again, if you believe this unit with a linear PS is the cats meow, Please start thread on it so others can benefit from your experience with it! I said I would if the unit is too my liking, right now it is not.

I do not see the point of just popping in here to comment on the Wiim, like you are doing.

So now I need to go get my LPS all hooked up to it. Oh and I mine as well break out my 149 dollar Glass Optical cable, just to make sure I'm putting to use my 99 + 200+149 Wiim mini! :sweat_smile:

Cheers!!
I use Tidal connect from day 1 without any problem. 😅😅😅

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #3,862 of 5,865

"Or audirvana"...

Cheers!!
Likewise. It sounds great!

Mar 24, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #3,863 of 5,865

"Or audirvana"...

Cheers!!
Harsh sound? It’s a neutral revealing sound. Your speaker character has been revealed and covered by using a mellow sounding unit. I’m using topping p50 among least expensive lps. Look at the review on amazon no one saying harsh just you.

Mar 24, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #3,864 of 5,865
Harsh sound? It’s a neutral revealing sound. Your speaker character has been revealed and covered by using a mellow sounding unit. I’m using topping p50 among least expensive lps. Look at the review on amazon no one saying harsh just you.
I think this forum totally lost its purpose. I signed in because I have a Zen Stream, love it, but it's not perfect and I'm keen to learn about other opinions, updates, problems, as well as anything that may help me make the most out of it (ex. including combinations with other gear). At a certain stage, some people seemed to be obsessed with the Node and that has been replaced by the Wiim now. I personally couldn't care less about this device and if I would I'd be on a different forum learning about it. Nothing against it, just not interested in more than a couple of comments regarding an AB comparison or something of the sort. Not an endless discussion about it. Btw, I appreciate the time some people dedicate to help others to properly configure and use these kind of devices. That has been very helpful when I started using the Stream. And, btw, I don't buy the idea that people who have been using the Stream flawlessly, especially with the so "hated" Tidal Connect, are simply "lucky". It doesn't make sense that the funcionality of an industrial device like the Stream is a random event. All the best and enjoy the music.

Mar 24, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #3,865 of 5,865
I think this forum totally lost its purpose. I signed in because I have a Zen Stream, love it, but it's not perfect and I'm keen to learn about other opinions, updates, problems, as well as anything that may help me make the most out of it (ex. including combinations with other gear). At a certain stage, some people seemed to be obsessed with the Node and that has been replaced by the Wiim now. I personally couldn't care less about this device and if I would I'd be on a different forum learning about it. Nothing against it, just not interested in more than a couple of comments regarding an AB comparison or something of the sort. Not an endless discussion about it. Btw, I appreciate the time some people dedicate to help others to properly configure and use these kind of devices. That has been very helpful when I started using the Stream. And, btw, I don't buy the idea that people who have been using the Stream flawlessly, especially with the so "hated" Tidal Connect, are simply "lucky". It doesn't make sense that the funcionality of an industrial device like the Stream is a random event. All the best and enjoy the music.
My apologies.... :beerchug:

Mar 24, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #3,866 of 5,865
I agree with most people say about stream having a great sounding but using the software has a problem with various dacs and services. However, with roon it eliminates most issue if not all. As a consumer, we want a unit that works fine out of the box without investing additional third party software. One of my issue with my stream when switching from let say airplay to tidal connect it doesn’t switch the connection aside from pausing it and wait for the right dot light to turn off. Because the beta firmware also add code it made my streamer laggy not snappy like the stock firmware. Another thing is that doesn’t have apps on which you can choose the streaming services you have. If ifi have apps and work flawlessly it will have a winner on his hand. Just look the reviews from amazon.

Mar 25, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #3,867 of 5,865
I can understand iFi Audio's approach of relying on a company (because Volumio is one) to start from a base integrating an interface and covering a maximum of uses (UPNP, Roon, Tidal, Qobuz, etc.) but it is necessary to accelerate to catch up.
The switch to kernel 5 and the update of software that works on SBCs have made a difference. Even at Volumio, they are highlighting the switch from Volumio 2 to Volumio 3... and for the Zen Stream, nothing on the horizon... Debian Jesse !
It's all the more unfortunate that iFi Audio claims an "open source" image. And that's partly true, but the ideal would be the possibility to have several distributions running on the ZenStream with a real emulation of the teams towards their users. DietPi, piCorePlayer or Ropieee are largely worth Volumio by being more pointed on more restricted axes. To want to be too generalist...
If you have a RPI4 or 3 and you use HQP, you can test a Jussy image or the one I assembled from piCorePlayer + NAA 4.20 (CPU isolation, preempt, priority, etc.), it's amazing! especially if you add a DC purifier and USB purifier iFi Audio. :wink:
Everything is there in the ZenStream to go even further.

With the NAA 4.20 version, I can go up to DSD 1024 on Rpi3/4.
For the ZenStream in 3.6... impossible to play DSD256 with HQP, although it is a claimed specificity. :disappointed_relieved:
(Edit : DSD256 may not be possible in DOP since the hardware is limited in PCM ? But why choose a hardware that is already limited)

Or be open and give me the method to boot on the USB-C, to test, for example, the last DietPi version (RockChip 3328).
In short, it's a nice tool but it still needs to be polished !

@Sebastien Chiu : from Jussy (HQP creator).
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/19715-hq-player/?do=findComment&comment=1191574
If they wanted to contract OS image from me, that could be also possibility, depending on the BSP support.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back