iFi audio ZEN Stream - Streaming elevated to a higher plane
Sep 4, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #1,277 of 5,899
so how do we stream Tidal on the ZS. Qobuz is not available. should i purchase ROON? stream Tidal through ROON. if it solved my problem it would be worth it. i am at wits end. is everyone having issues with Tidal or is it just me. i can afford to spend much much more but i doubt anything will beat the ZS?

If you are just looking for a solution to stream Tidal & Qobuz from your computer, and you don't need multi-zone / multi-node support, then Audirvana might be a more affordable solution over Roon. I don't have a ZS (yet), but I've been using the Audirvana for a couple of weeks now with Qobuz and it works much better than the Qobuz app. In any case, it has a 30 day free trial without providing credit card info if you want to give it a shot to see if it meets your requirements and it integrates both Qobuz and Tidal.

Sep 4, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #1,278 of 5,899
ok, i just signed up for Roon. Roon can not find the ZS as a Roon core device? only sees the MacBook. further i can not sign into ifi.local. have not heard from IFI support in over a week nor Tidal, have not heard back from the my dealer TREO in Singapore.
I'm really sorry that you just run into problems somehow, but can you rule out that you’re doing something wrong?
For using ZS with Roon, you have to switch from position #1 AIO to #2 Roon.
Did you do this before?

Sep 4, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #1,279 of 5,899
ok, i just signed up for Roon. Roon can not find the ZS as a Roon core device? only sees the MacBook. further i can not sign into ifi.local. have not heard from IFI support in over a week nor Tidal, have not heard back from the my dealer TREO in Singapore.

It looks like you are having a hard time with your setup. Looking at your posts, it's not clear exactly what you have. Maybe if you could describe your network in detail someone might be able to help, starting with your ISP and every link in the chain to your device, wired or wireless. It really sounds like a network issue.

Sep 4, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #1,280 of 5,899
I'm really sorry that you just run into problems somehow, but can you rule out that you’re doing something wrong?
For using ZS with Roon, you have to switch from position #1 AIO to #2 Roon.
Did you do this before?
ok, i switched to mode 2, when i press the power button on the stream two white lights turn and than turn off. thats it. no red power light.

Sep 4, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #1,281 of 5,899
It looks like you are having a hard time with your setup. Looking at your posts, it's not clear exactly what you have. Maybe if you could describe your network in detail someone might be able to help, starting with your ISP and every link in the chain to your device, wired or wireless. It really sounds like a network issue.
yes, i had my internet provide upgrade my service today with a new router. its DSL since fiber is not available here. speed test shows 20mbps up and down. i am using a ethernet from the router to the ZS. coax out to my dac from there. it was working for a few hours with the new upgrade and than the old demons struck and i was getting the same error messages and pauses. i thought i was out of the woods with this with the upgrades on my end. now, i press the power button and 2 white lights come on and than go out. thats it. also i cannot sign into ifi.local to add the ZS to my network, but like i said it was working anyway for a couple of hour although it was pausing and the little IFI icon on my tidal page would vanish as well. i switch to Roon today, but Roon could not find the ZS. just dead. second unit. $100 every time i have to ship it back. drag.

Sep 4, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #1,282 of 5,899
Is Qobuz Connect really 'a thing'? I thought it was just a euphemism for Chromecasting.

According to the Qobuz website, "Qobuz Connect" refers to 3rd party apps and services integrating their stream into their platform. Natively on PC, only ChromeCast is supported (from what I can see), and on Mac OS / iOS AirPlay is supported. They've tried to implement UPnP / DLNA in several beta versions of their own app, but so far unsuccessful.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #1,283 of 5,899
@rudy49 There are other things beyond the ISP provided bandwidth that could be contributing to your issue. While I don't have your configuration, here's a few things to consider:
  1. ISP provided routers are often garbage. If at all possible, consider purchasing your own WiFi router and have the ISP help you disable the router portion of the modem they provided (if it's a combo unit). If they provided separate router (for a fee) and modem, just give it back to them and have them cancel the addition fee.
  2. Beyond bandwidth, latency can also cause issues with streaming services, especially those that are "iffy" to start. From what I've seen in this thread, the Tidal Connect protocol does appear to have issues, at least with regard to the ZS.
  3. While 20 mbps may be adequate for hi-res audio streaming, if there are other devices on your local network also pulling that bandwidth pool it could cause some local network traffic delays. Again, this could trigger an already existing "glitch" in a particular asynchronous streaming protocol.

Sep 4, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #1,284 of 5,899
According to the Qobuz website, "Qobuz Connect" refers to 3rd party apps and services integrating their stream into their platform. Natively on PC, only ChromeCast is support (from what I can see), and on Mac OS / iOS AirPlay is supported. They've tried to implement UPnP / DLNA in several beta versions of their own app, but so far unsuccessful.
With Qobuz' Android app, pressing the connect button does not do anything that pressing the cast button doesn't do.
However, if you select 'share', from the 'the dot menu', you can share with BubbleUPnP, and get UPnP/DLNA streaming (I don't have a zen stream, but it should work). This is a bit clunky, but it lets you use Qobuz's discovery features.
I have a couple of different streamers which integrate Qobuz into their control apps, but the connect icon in the Qobuz app does not link to these.
I guess Qobuz plan to launch a Spotify Connect type function in the future.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #1,285 of 5,899
With Qobuz' Android app, pressing the connect button does not do anything that pressing the cast button doesn't do.
However, if you select 'share', from the 'the dot menu', you can share with BubbleUPnP, and get UPnP/DLNA streaming (I don't have a zen stream, but it should work). This is a bit clunky, but it lets you use Qobuz's discovery features.
I guess Qobuz plan to launch a Spotify Connect type function in the future.

I wrote to Qobuz and Sebastien said that they are still working toward a usable UPnP/DLNA implementation, at least for the desktop apps (Win / Mac OS). My guess is that they probably won't invest in a proprietary protocol / connect method unless they have no other option, IMO.

Sep 4, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #1,286 of 5,899
@rudy49 There are other things beyond the ISP provided bandwidth that could be contributing to your issue. While I don't have your configuration, here's a few things to consider:
  1. ISP provided routers are often garbage. If at all possible, consider purchasing your own WiFi router and have the ISP help you disable the router portion of the modem they provided (if it's a combo unit). If they provided separate router (for a fee) and modem, just give it back to them and have them cancel the addition fee.
  2. Beyond bandwidth, latency can also cause issues with streaming services, especially those that are "iffy" to start. From what I've seen in this thread, the Tidal Connect protocol does appear to have issues, at least with regard to the ZS.
  3. While 20 mbps may be adequate for hi-res audio streaming, if there are other devices on your local network also pulling that bandwidth pool it could cause some local network traffic delays. Again, this could trigger an already existing "glitch" in a particular asynchronous streaming protocol.
nothing else on the network, just the ZS. i do not share the network with anyone. download speed is 35/35

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #1,287 of 5,899
nothing else on the network, just the ZS. i do not share the network with anyone. download speed is 35/35

So, no smartphones or computers browsing internet, or watching YouTube (or other free streaming video)? All of these things can contribute to issues, especially if the router is not of a decent quality.

Sep 4, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #1,289 of 5,899
are you saying that i should close all windows on the MacBook except for the Tidal stream page?

For troubleshooting, I would say reboot and don't open anything but Tidal and try that. Also, if you're currently using the web interface, try installing and using the Mac OS app (if you don't already have it installed). Again, I don't have your setup so these are just generic suggestions in the hopes it will help.

Download TIDAL

Sep 4, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #1,290 of 5,899
Alright so I am listening to the Zen Stream via my Linear PSU now as I am typing. Suffice to say I returned my Bluesound Node 2021...that device just didn't compare. Watch the audio excellence video and believe in what Vilip says to the letter if you wanna compare...I don't want to repeat what was said there.

Both on Roon as well as Tidal Connect, I can say this...I have not heard anything this good before.... especially with the Linear PSU. My end game is very very close☺️
Ok so I need to fact correct my comment for the P50 Linear PSU being better than the IFI supplied iPower brick. The fact is that Topping P50 is rated at 1milivolt and iPower is rated a 1microvolt noise and so the iPower is cleaner...also in my subjective opinion the iPower sounds better as well. Hope this saves people unnecessary spending on LPSUs...

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back