iFi audio Pro iDSD Signature and Pro iCAN Signature - The Pro range just got better!
May 5, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #513 of 852
One more thing @iFi audio and others on this thread…

I understand that the way iFi works is that functionally both the Pro iDSD and iCan can be switched to 230 volts but the switch is done via the iPower Elite that comes packed with them?

I need a 230 volt unit but at the moment, considering getting one from a US dealer with whom I have good relations

May 5, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #514 of 852
I plan on purchasing the iCans soon, and want to connect it with my iDSD. The stock cables that come with this are RCA. Are there benefits to running XLR? If so, can someone suggest some quality XLRs cables I can use to connect the iCAN and iDSD together? (Forgive my ignorance. I am still learning)

May 5, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #515 of 852
I plan on purchasing the iCans soon, and want to connect it with my iDSD. The stock cables that come with this are RCA. Are there benefits to running XLR? If so, can someone suggest some quality XLRs cables I can use to connect the iCAN and iDSD together? (Forgive my ignorance. I am still learning)
There are considerable benefits to running XLR—the voltage achieved across XLR is considerably higher, due to the balanced connection, and the noise floor will benefit as well. I wouldn’t even give this a second thought.

As far as XLR cables go, there really isn’t that much difference (despite what anyone tells you to the contrary), but if you are concerned, you can get a modestly priced ($200 is more than enough!) AudioQuest option with the shortest possible length.

May 5, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #516 of 852
*duplicate post*

Last edited:
May 5, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #517 of 852
In addition to what @srkbear said, the iCan/iDSD Pro are both balanced in their design, so by using XLR connections, you're reaping the benefits of a system that was built to sound its best that way.

I somewhat agree with @srkbear about cables, but keep in mind that copper interconnects will sound more neutral (and maybe warmer) and silver interconnects will sound more defined (and maybe cooler). Copper/silver hybrids are a toss-up depending on how they're made.

Last edited:
May 5, 2022 at 8:23 PM Post #518 of 852
In addition to what @srkbear said, the iCan/iDSD Pro are both balanced in their design, so by using XLR connections, you're reaping the benefits of a system that was built to sound its best that way.

I somewhat agree with @srkbear about cables, but keep in mind that copper interconnects will sound more neutral (and maybe warmer) and silver interconnects will sound more defined (and maybe cooler). Copper/silver hybrids are a toss-up depending on how they're made.
Well, because of the respect I have for you based on previous posts I’m going to just wave hello and hope that we can agree to disagree on the last part ☺️

May 5, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #519 of 852
I would reccomend adding our Groundhog kit into your system and seeing if that helps: https://ifi-audio.com/products/groundhog/

You can buy a longer cable for this, like our Mecury 3.0: https://ifi-audio.com/products/mercury3-0/
Really? Malin has vibration or tube-related noise from their new unit. How is that related to a grounding issue that is going to be fixed by another iFi product? Did you guys communicate more about this issue outside of this thread? This seems like a strange response.

Last edited:
May 5, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #520 of 852
Ok, I am curious for iDSD owners here. Anyone here have / use the Mercury cable? Worth the upgrade? Cable is about $200 roughly vs a $6-10 cable on Amazon. I am curious if its actually worth its price? Anyone here use the mercury cable that is able to give me some insights on it?
The Mercury cable is nice, but it’s an inflexible flat cable and is really annoying to use unless you stack your source above or below your iDSD so the cable stays straight. Mine got all bent out of shape over time because I moved it around and tried to use it like I would a regular round cable. Unless you’re very gentle with your cables and don’t move it around, I wouldn’t recommend it over other (more flexible) round cable options.

Last edited:
May 7, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #521 of 852
Got the ican signature to drive my Susvara da and I’m incredibly happy about it… the point is that I have never tried them with anything more powerful.

Do they really need MORE than the signature to shine?!

May 7, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #522 of 852
Got the ican signature to drive my Susvara da and I’m incredibly happy about it… the point is that I have never tried them with anything more powerful.

I agree with you. The ican signature powers the Susvara beautifully, plus you have the added features such as xBass, and if you like tubes, you have that too! It is such a versatile performer.

May 7, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #523 of 852

Do they need more power?

It’s a slippery slope and you’ll hear different opinions. I think the Susvara sounded very good with the iCan Pro that I originally bought in 2018, but after three years with the iFi gear, I gave the Pro stack to my spouse and moved on to other amps.

My advice is to stick with what you’ve got for now if it works for you. You can always upgrade further down the line. And you might do yourself a favor by staying away from the Susvara thread and enjoying music instead. 😉

Last edited:
May 7, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #524 of 852

they do them justice , anything more powerful is chasing the last like 5 maybe 10% , and that’s me with the OG Pro iCan lol , tubes can help smooth stuff as susvara will not hold back on some recordings

May 7, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #525 of 852
they do them justice , anything more powerful is chasing the last like 5 maybe 10% , and that’s me with the OG Pro iCan lol , tubes can help smooth stuff as susvara will not hold back on some recordings
What do you mean OG pro ican?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back