iFi audio Pro iDSD Signature and Pro iCAN Signature - The Pro range just got better!
Apr 30, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #496 of 850
I do have a problem with tubes that produce noise ( when on ) with only gentle touches on my desk :triportsad: This is the way I try to eliminate vibrations but with no improvements.
pls help. Are my tubes bad?
I need to tap the unit quite hard to get noise from it, just tapping the desk does nothing. And just to keep it off the desk I have my little stack on a small bedside table next to where I'm sitting.

IMG_6296.jpg

Apr 30, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #497 of 850
I need to tap the unit quite hard to get noise from it, just tapping the desk does nothing. And just to keep it off the desk I have my little stack on a small bedside table next to where I'm sitting.

could myh tubes possbile not be thorwoly instetedd and are smewhat lose on the socket??

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #498 of 850
cold myh tubes possbile not be thorwoly instetedd and are smewhat lose on the socket??
It’s probably a good place to start, it should be pretty obvious if something is loose or touching so the vibrations transfer. Or something is loose in the tube(s). iFi’s support probably knows exactly what’s wrong.

Apr 30, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #499 of 850
Is anyone able to comment on this please? Maybe take some measurements for me (metric or imperial, doesn't matter)? Just the measurements of the case without knobs etc, plus the overall height off the table including the feet.
Height without feet, 2 ⅛ inches
Height with feet 2.5 inches
Depth 6 ⅞ inches (with faceplate, minus knobs)
Depth 7 ⅜ inches (with knobs)
Width 8 ⅜ inches

That’s my best estimate.

Apr 30, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #500 of 850
I do have a problem with tubes that produce noise ( when on ) with only gentle touches on my desk :triportsad: This is the way I try to eliminate vibrations but with no improvements.
pls help. Are my tubes bad?

Hmmm…is that mic active? That could produce feedback. If you’ve never opened the chassis the likelihood of the tubes not being seated properly is low.

However, harmonic or gassy tubes should produce noise irrespective of touching surfaces. Noise with touching surfaces suggests a ground loop to me. Get yourself a cheap voltmeter or multimeter from Home Depot or Lowes, set the voltage at the most sensitive setting. Touch one end to chassis, touch the other end to the sleeve (not the pins) of whatever input on the rear you are using (RCA or XLR). If you get anything other than zero, you have a ground loop.

Apr 30, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #501 of 850
It’s probably a good place to start, it should be pretty obvious if something is loose or touching so the vibrations transfer. Or something is loose in the tube(s). iFi’s support probably knows exactly what’s wrong.
Problem solved! I had to attach the rubber feet to the gray rubber plate on the bottom of the unit, not to the metal chassis. Improvement: Now I can bang on my desk without any noise from the tubes :) I opened the unit and found very serious engineering work to eliminate vibrations using this gray rubber plate that is attached to internal arrangements....

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #502 of 850
Problems solved! I had to attach the rubber feet to the rubber plate on the bottom of the unit, not to the metal chassis.
That is very odd. Please see my previous post.

Apr 30, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #503 of 850
Height without feet, 2 ⅛ inches
Height with feet 2.5 inches
Depth 6 ⅞ inches (with faceplate, minus knobs)
Depth 7 ⅜ inches (with knobs)
Width 8 ⅜ inches

That’s my best estimate.
Thanks for that – matches Sparkofinsanity's metric measurements (of course) which just shows that the imperial measurements on the website and user manual are complete bollocks. @iFi audio you need to correct those numbers.

Apr 30, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #504 of 850
Thanks for that – matches Sparkofinsanity's metric measurements (of course) which just shows that the imperial measurements on the website and user manual are complete bollocks. @iFi audio you need to correct those numbers.
Missed his post, apologies!

Apr 30, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #505 of 850
Thanks for the response all. I don't really use Bluetooth streaming much. My main source is Via PC/USB and using Tidal (from my PC). I've been eyeing this unit for a while and figured I can go with the signature, and add the iCan one day if I wanted. Mainly, I plan to use this with my Focals and my Odin IEM (4.4mm plug) so that works well.

As long as my PC recognizes the drivers for the unit, and doesnt cause me headaches like the Fiio K9, I would be content. For the people who run their iFi via PC, hows your experience with it? Any issues of audio cutting out when swapping from Tidal to Youtube, etc etc?
If it’s streaming that you’re in the market for, having owned both I can say definitively that the Zen Stream way outperforms the Pro iDSD Signature in that regard—so much so that I sold my Pro iDSD Sig in exchange for the combination of the Zen Stream, a Topping d90se DAC and the iFi Pro iCAN Signature amp.

With Roon in particular, I’ve found this setup to be the best-sounding, most feature-rich and worry-free of any headphone solution I’ve owned (and I’ve been through a ton of them over the years).

To me the Pro iDSD Signature is a terrific, kitchen-sink all-in-one that maybe for the price would’ve been better if they had either left out the streamer in lieu of beefing up the amplification stage (and added xBass), or waited until they had achieved the tech they implemented in the ZS.

I think they really designed the Pro series to be bought together, because the iCAN adds all the typical iFi analog signal processing left out of the iDSD, and makes the pair a serious power output contender—although they still missed with the streamer aspect. And I think with separate mixed-and-matched components you can get way more bang for your buck considering the price of the Signature stack. That’s just me…

May 4, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #507 of 850
May 4, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #508 of 850
I just got my iFi Pro iDSD in and it looks amazing. Two little grips.

1. Remote came with no battery? COME ON lol...
2. The USB cable is super short (blue). Since I am using this from my computer, the blue cable is like 1 feet long max?

That being said....... Can someone tell me what kind of USB cable this is, so I can buy a longer one on Amazon? Are there "better" ones out there? Can someone give me a link to a good one. Thanks

May 4, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #509 of 850
ifi staff --- what is your recommendation to eliminate the noise from the tubes because of vibrations?

I would reccomend adding our Groundhog kit into your system and seeing if that helps: https://ifi-audio.com/products/groundhog/

I just got my iFi Pro iDSD in and it looks amazing. Two little grips.

1. Remote came with no battery? COME ON lol...
2. The USB cable is super short (blue). Since I am using this from my computer, the blue cable is like 1 feet long max?

That being said....... Can someone tell me what kind of USB cable this is, so I can buy a longer one on Amazon? Are there "better" ones out there? Can someone give me a link to a good one. Thanks

You can buy a longer cable for this, like our Mecury 3.0: https://ifi-audio.com/products/mercury3-0/

Last edited:
May 5, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #510 of 850
Ok, I am curious for iDSD owners here. Anyone here have / use the Mercury cable? Worth the upgrade? Cable is about $200 roughly vs a $6-10 cable on Amazon. I am curious if its actually worth its price? Anyone here use the mercury cable that is able to give me some insights on it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back