iFi audio Pro iDSD Signature and Pro iCAN Signature - The Pro range just got better!
May 8, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #541 of 850
Check your adapter with a different source?
The 4.4mm cable with a different source works perfectly.

The same 4.4mm cable, plugged into the iCan with a xlr adapter works perfectly, too.

Some people here are saying that the iCan 4.4mm output has iem match, which makes it unusable for pier demanding cans (Susvara, Stealth). Never knew before, though…

May 8, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #542 of 850
May 8, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #544 of 850
Choose one from Amazon… the one on the inside. Or…. One from ForzaAudioCables… on the outside.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
May 8, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #545 of 850
Choose one from Amazon… the one on the inside. Or…. One from ForzaAudioCables… on the outside.
It needs to be a female 4.4mm and a male 4 pin XLR.

Something like this offers the shortest path between 4.4 and XLR. Not sure how good the quality is - probably ok. I'm using a similar one on a different amp for a cable that terminates in 4.4 on a pair of Stellias - no complaints. A search of "ddHiFi XLR44B" will bring up numerous suppliers of them.

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #546 of 850
It needs to be a female 4.4mm and a male 4 pin XLR.

Something like this offers the shortest path between 4.4 and XLR. Not sure how good the quality is - probably ok. I'm using a similar one on a different amp for a cable that terminates in 4.4 on a pair of Stellias - no complaints. A search of "ddHiFi XLR44B" will bring up numerous suppliers of them.
Oops... you're right... I'm using it the other way 'round as I have XLR terminations on my Headphone cables.

May 8, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #547 of 850
BTW, as I understand it, the reason for this (whopping big) 18dB attenuation is to allow for buds and IEMs that don't need a lot of driving. Not sure why you can't just turn the volume down though.....because it is hamstringing people with bigger cans that need driving, but that also terminate in 4.4mm. The Pentaconn termination offers the best of both worlds for desk amp and DAP users (like me) who have a crackers expensive 4.4 cable that they'd like to use on both devices (like me) who don't want to buy another crackers expensive cable (also...like me!).

A criticism of this built-in IEMatch -18dB attenuation is that it is not switchable off. This is a very justified criticism.

May 8, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #548 of 850
BTW, as I understand it, the reason for this (whopping big) 18dB attenuation is to allow for buds and IEMs that don't need a lot of driving. Not sure why you can't just turn the volume down though.....because it is hamstringing people with bigger cans that need driving, but that also terminate in 4.4mm. The Pentaconn termination offers the best of both worlds for desk amp and DAP users (like me) who have a crackers expensive 4.4 cable that they'd like to use on both devices (like me) who don't want to buy another crackers expensive cable (also...like me!).

A criticism of this built-in IEMatch -18dB attenuation is that it is not switchable off. This is a very justified criticism.
Yes. The only reason I had a 4.4 custom made is to listen to the Diablo 4.4. but the upgrade trajectory to a pro iCan sig using the same cable is not doable.

May 8, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #549 of 850
May 8, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #550 of 850
The one I have (from Amazon) is 70mm long, so 21.5mm longer than the ddhifi version. It's a big ugly thing sticking 52mm out the front of the amp when not in use, so the ddhifi is more appealing as it sticks out 30mm. Another point that can be relevant is if your cable is heavy then the shorter the adaptor the less leverage there is dragging down the adaptor, if the cable hangs for any distance.

In short, it would be MUCH better if the IEMatch could be simply switched off, or just eliminated completely from this amp. Users with a Pentaconn cable are being forced into a very clumsy adaptation rather unnecessarily.

May 12, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #551 of 850
I am using the iDSD and iCAN signature. Does it matter how I stack it? Does the iCan need to be on the top vs the bottom? Not sure about heat, but it gets really hot, so I figured, which ever one generates the most heat, should be on top?

May 12, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #552 of 850
I am using the iDSD and iCAN signature. Does it matter how I stack it? Does the iCan need to be on the top vs the bottom? Not sure about heat, but it gets really hot, so I figured, which ever one generates the most heat, should be on top?
Did you try to search the thread for an answer? TL;DR? The iCan amp gets hotter and should go on top. I always had mine on separate shelves, but stacking them seems to be popular.

Last edited:
May 12, 2022 at 11:56 PM Post #554 of 850
Has anyone compared this one to the ferrum oor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back