iFi audio Pro iDSD (Official) - NEW Firmware - MQA and more.
Feb 19, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #1,741 of 2,186
Feb 21, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #1,742 of 2,186
if they will not help I will use my ipod as a source :) and put the ifi pro dsd to collect dust :)

Certainly hope that won't be the case!

Feb 22, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #1,744 of 2,186
I am so frustrated with ifi support. I opened up my ticket on January 26, and received a couple of replies concerning an issue with the combo iDSD and iCan. I get very half hearted replies, and it always takes nearly a week for the follow up :frowning2:

Can you please PM me with your ticket # and TLDR of your issue so I can follow up directly with the team for you when they get back in the office? Thanks!

Feb 23, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #1,746 of 2,186
Feb 26, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #1,747 of 2,186
Question: I have the pro idsd with the 2.5 mm trrs output. I also have the Stellia’s that I enjoy very much with a AC signum+ Cable via the 3.5 mm unbalanced. Now, I thought of trying the balanced and the question is does it make sense to buy a cable/adapter with a female 4 pin xlr to 2.5 mm trrs and connect it with the Stellia stock cable. Or is it just a waste of money and I might just upgrade my signum+ ?
many thanks for any considerations :smile_phones:

Feb 26, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #1,748 of 2,186
Question: I have the pro idsd with the 2.5 mm trrs output. I also have the Stellia’s that I enjoy very much with a AC signum+ Cable via the 3.5 mm unbalanced. Now, I thought of trying the balanced and the question is does it make sense to buy a cable/adapter with a female 4 pin xlr to 2.5 mm trrs and connect it with the Stellia stock cable. Or is it just a waste of money and I might just upgrade my signum+ ?
many thanks for any considerations :smile_phones:

I tend to generally recommend the fewer adapters with cables, the better! I'm in the club that votes on you upgrading your signum+ to balanced!

Feb 26, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #1,749 of 2,186
I tend to generally recommend the fewer adapters with cables, the better! I'm in the club that votes on you upgrading your signum+ to balanced!
Many Thanks, while I know this is ideal, I was just curious if I could experience the difference btw balanced and unbalanced with the Stellia stock cables. It will definitely not be as expensive compared with a new signum+....
Would I also have to upgrade with the iCan???? There is no end to this:triportsad:

Feb 27, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #1,751 of 2,186
Would I also have to upgrade with the iCan???? There is no end to this:triportsad:

That decision is entirely up to you!

Having a major issue with my iDSD. Updated the firmware to the latest version and now on boot I get "dsdl1793 init error. Please reboot." Reached out to IFI with no response. Not super thrilled at the moment.

Can you please PM me your support ticket # and I'll look into this first thing on Monday when the team gets back? Thank you!

Mar 13, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #1,752 of 2,186
My pro iDSD has been collecting dust for more than one year, the lack of roon support drove me away from it.

But today I connected it on my living room system, it sounds very good by network with airplay protocol with roon, but limited to 16bit 44.1 and no hi resolution files or DSD on airplay, but never could make it sound on USB as it sounds by direct ethernet connection and airplay. brought expensive usb cables, expensive power cables, paired with some usb streamers like sotm SMS200 ultra and some good power supply‘s. But USB still not a challenge in image or air around the instruments compared with airplay by Ethernet on the Pro iDSD.

Digital coaxial connection sometimes made some kind of noise, so opted to not use it. When I purchased the dac somehow roon support was an possible option in a future firmware, inclusive support tkets gave some hope, then on this same thread was posted that the hardware needed changes and that will never happen.

I still think the pro idsd is an amazing dac very stable firmware for a desktop computer, but with bad network software this is not a very good streamer, muso is very poor, and is flaws make me stop using it. Muso really is horrible.

As much as I like the pro idsd, it will still be collecting dust for me unfortunately, because the lack of roon RAAT support, and having to buy some costly aditional hardware to have roon taking advantage of this dac should make users to look other options fist.

For connecting directly to a computer is a good choice.

Mar 14, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #1,753 of 2,186
My pro iDSD has been collecting dust for more than one year, the lack of roon support drove me away from it.

But today I connected it on my living room system, it sounds very good by network with airplay protocol with roon, but limited to 16bit 44.1 and no hi resolution files or DSD on airplay, but never could make it sound on USB as it sounds by direct ethernet connection and airplay. brought expensive usb cables, expensive power cables, paired with some usb streamers like sotm SMS200 ultra and some good power supply‘s. But USB still not a challenge in image or air around the instruments compared with airplay by Ethernet on the Pro iDSD.

Digital coaxial connection sometimes made some kind of noise, so opted to not use it. When I purchased the dac somehow roon support was an possible option in a future firmware, inclusive support tkets gave some hope, then on this same thread was posted that the hardware needed changes and that will never happen.

I still think the pro idsd is an amazing dac very stable firmware for a desktop computer, but with bad network software this is not a very good streamer, muso is very poor, and is flaws make me stop using it. Muso really is horrible.

As much as I like the pro idsd, it will still be collecting dust for me unfortunately, because the lack of roon RAAT support, and having to buy some costly aditional hardware to have roon taking advantage of this dac should make users to look other options fist.

For connecting directly to a computer is a good choice.

You could try using an old iphone, ipad or cheap(ish) ipod touch with a lightning camera cable as a streamer for the iDSD Pro.
I'm doing exactly that with a Micro iDSD Signature with iPhone SE and it's wonderful.

Not ideal for the iDSD Pro when it's so close to being a useful streaming DAC on it's own, but using it with an idevice as the streamer via USB it can support MQA, DSD256 DoP, 384k DXD and Roon endpoint, and my Micro sounds amazing with an iPhone SE as the streamer.

MQA 352.8K FLAC
ifi idsd file formats by Hilton, on Flickr

DSD128 DoP

352.8K DXD FLAC

20210310_212152 by Hilton, on Flickr

iFi micro iDSD Signature TH610 by Hilton, on Flickr

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #1,754 of 2,186
You could try using an old iphone, ipad or cheap(ish) ipod touch with a lightning camera cable as a streamer for the iDSD Pro.
I'm doing exactly that with a Micro iDSD Signature with iPhone SE and it's wonderful.

Not ideal for the iDSD Pro when it's so close to being a useful streaming DAC on it's own, but using it with an idevice as the streamer via USB it can support MQA, DSD256 DoP, 384k DXD and Roon endpoint, and my Micro sounds amazing with an iPhone SE as the streamer.

MQA 352.8K FLAC

DSD128 DoP

352.8K DXD FLAC

20210310_212152 by Hilton, on Flickr
My comment is not a negative one, I hope not, with thw Sotm the pro iDSD plays with no problem dsd512 files, but as a stand alone streamer it fails big. As an AirPlay device sounds like a champ.

As a dac it made me want to build a good system for my living room again, and the sopras like it.

It’s more a dac than a streamer, but it plays best by network RJ45 connection.

Mar 14, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #1,755 of 2,186
I stream to my Pro iDSD with an Auralic Aries into the AES/EBU socket, I think it definitely sounds better than USB, but it's a shame that is not compatible with DSD.

After 'letting go' of any hope of using the Pro iDSD as a streamer, I am much happier with it. If iFi want me to buy another top of the line DAC in the future, they should do away with the crappy streaming section.

What still annoys me is the mini toslink inside the RCA socket, there is a reason no other manufacturer does this, how are you supposed to connect sources via optical and RCA at the same time.

I love my xDSD even more than my Pro iDSD, but why have a balanced output on 3.5mm, where are you supposed to buy cables with this termination? What is it with iFi and weird sockets!😠🤬

Users who are viewing this thread

Back