iFi audio Pro iDSD (Official) - NEW Firmware - MQA and more.
Aug 11, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #316 of 2,184
Is anyone driving MrSpeakers AEON Closed with the Pro iDSD directly, on the 0dB gain setting?

Can you listen to current popular music (recorded loud - say Deadmau5 for example) past 10 o'clock on the volume knob? Or is 10 o'clock too loud with these cans?

Cheers

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #317 of 2,184
Our policy is to not comment other manufacturers' doings, therefore no. Instead we'll point your attention to the first post of this thread. There's a generous number of links with our tech explained.

Hi. I wasn't suggesting that you comment on other manufacturer's tech -- I am merely trying to understand two things (if they aren't secret):

1. what does Pro iCan better over the Pro iDSD in terms of driving easy-drivable headphones (e.g. dynamics, control, proper balanced sockets = less crosstalk if any),

2. what was undertaken so that Pro iDSD's balanced HP output sounds equal or better than its single-ended HP output.
(*edit: I can see on the Pro iCan page that the balanced has better THD, SNR, power, etc. than SE, but I'm not automatically assuming the same is true for Pro iDSD.)

I already have the Pro iDSD on order, and I will most likely order the Pro iCan soon, if only to have a proper HP amp for my other DACs, but I'm just curious about the above. (*and I couldn't find this info in the first post's links so far)

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #320 of 2,184
Another question, how would one proceed about acquiring the DC-Loop cable? Is it available anywhere?

Side question: or is it better to power each Pro (iCAN, iDSD) with its own "charger" (I guess that's how we call transformers these days)?

Aug 12, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #321 of 2,184
Has anyone tried/tested the Pro iDSD using a Mac OS X with USB a connection? The reason I ask is I recently learned that another (more expensive) DAC on my short list was having connectivity issues with a Mac. The workaround was to reboot the DAC. Rebooting the Mac did not fix the issue. I just want t make sure the Pro iDSD works flawlessly with my Mac.

Aug 13, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #322 of 2,184
Has anyone tried/tested the Pro iDSD using a Mac OS X with USB a connection? The reason I ask is I recently learned that another (more expensive) DAC on my short list was having connectivity issues with a Mac. The workaround was to reboot the DAC. Rebooting the Mac did not fix the issue. I just want t make sure the Pro iDSD works flawlessly with my Mac.
I asked a similar question with no reply here.

Aug 13, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #323 of 2,184
I would have liked comparisons of other DACs with the iDSD pro, and of course not that the Qutest of Chord, it would have been problematic that the iDSD pro does not pass, compare a dac to 2750 € against another dac which costs 50% of the price, ........ if some dac owners costing at least twice the price of the iDSD pro could have left comments that would have been interesting, and would bring an advantage to the iDSD pro, thanks,

Aug 13, 2018 at 2:39 AM Post #324 of 2,184
Another question, how would one proceed about acquiring the DC-Loop cable? Is it available anywhere?

I just used a cable I had which has regular DC plugs on either end. It's not particularly special.

Yes. Works fine with the Macs I have here. Worst comes to worst, a Schiit Wyrd is only $99.

I would have liked comparisons of other DACs with the iDSD pro, and of course not that the Qutest of Chord, it would have been problematic that the iDSD pro does not pass, compare a dac to 2750 € against another dac which costs 50% of the price, ........ if some dac owners costing at least twice the price of the iDSD pro could have left comments that would have been interesting, and would bring an advantage to the iDSD pro, thanks,

Please do not use an online translator for English. We cannot understand what you post.

Aug 13, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #326 of 2,184
[QUOTE = "Currawong, post: 14419867, membre: 65761"] Je viens d'utiliser un câble que j'ai eu qui a des fiches DC régulières à chaque extrémité. Ce n'est pas particulièrement spécial.

Oui. Fonctionne bien avec les Mac que j'ai ici. Le pire vient au pire, un Schiit Wyrd est à seulement 99 $.

Veuillez ne pas utiliser un traducteur en ligne pour l'anglais. Nous ne pouvons pas comprendre ce que vous publiez. [/ QUOTE]
et ce que c'est mieux,...... j'ai commencé par écrire en français, dans ma langue et l'on m'a fait le même reproche, en me demandant de me servir de la traduction,....... veuillez vous présenter avant de faire des reproches, merci
J'aurais aimé les comparaisons du DAC avec l'iDSD pro, et bien sûr que le QDest de Chord, il aurait été question que l'iDSD ne passe pas, comparé à un jour à 2750 € coûte 50% du prix, si certains propriétaires dac coûtent au moins deux fois le prix du pro iDSD pour le compte de commentaires qui ont un intérêt, et qui apportent un avantage au professionnel iDSD, merci,

Aug 13, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #328 of 2,184
[QUOTE = "Baten, post: 14419876, membre: 342138"] Eh bien, vous lui avez dit de ne pas utiliser de traducteur. :cheval mort:[/ QUOTE]
je suis content que certain comprennent, en France avec des amis nous nous servons des barres de traductions, et nous n'avons jamais fait de reproche sur les langues utilisées,.....

exactement j'ai demandé si certain avaient fait des comparaisons avec des dac coûtant plus cher que le iDSD pro, des comparaisons ont été faites, mais avec le Qutest Chord qui coûte moins cher que le iDSD pro, merci

Aug 13, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #329 of 2,184
I have been using MacBook Pro (2016 & 2018, MacOS High Sierra (10.13.6)) + Roon ver 1.5 + USB connection (iFi Mercury 3.0 cable) without any problem.

Aug 13, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #330 of 2,184
^ @iFi audio could you share a bit of wisdom on what magic have you employed for the above article to not apply on the Pro iDSD? (as I know you would, being the audio wizards:)

A correctly implemented fully balanced design (as in the iDSD Pro) will have lower distortion (~ -6dB or 50%) and noise (-3dB) at the same output level and impedance in comparison to a single-ended design.

A balanced output that is derived from a single-ended source however and exploits circuitry often seen in pro-audio outputs (line and headphone) will have higher distortion (> +6dB) and noise (+9dB) in comparison to a simple SE circuit.

Balanced line outputs commonly use additional circuitry which degrades performance of the SE output and thus often SE outputs are preferable for short line connections though depends heavily on the precise design of the device.

So the bottom line is that without knowing in detail a given implementation, it is not possible to categorically state that one or the other type of output (balanced and unbalanced) in inherently superior, inferior or unnecessary. Any of these may apply.

Pro iDSD and Pro iCAN in fully balanced setup delivers better performance than single-ended operation, simply because of the way it is designed. However, their single-ended performance is equal to that of the same circuitry run in single-ended mode, thus there is no penalty for using our products' as SE devices.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back