iFi Audio IPurifier3.0
Nov 1, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #92 of 442
I didn’t reaise the purifier 3 got warm until it was on for about 4 hours and it was actually warmer than my dac. Good things are happening inside.

Wow, I had no clue either! It always sits behind my stack. Good thing I have a 120mm Noctua silent fan on the side keeping things nice and cool.

Nov 1, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #94 of 442
I've been using a 5m (16ft) Kimber USB cable for years now with an iPurifier2. It sounds no different from the 1.5m or 0.5m Kimber USB that I also own. The Kimber cable is a good step up from cheapo cables but not quite on the level of a Gemini. However, the differences between the cables cease to be audible once the iPurifer2 is warmed up.
Interesting

Nov 2, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #96 of 442
Will the iPurifier3 get enough power if only connected to an iPhone using the CCK adapter? I often stream Tidal on my phone and use the CCK adapter to connect to my JDS OL DAC. The OL DAC is self powered, so it’s not drawing any current from the phone. I just want to make sure the iPurifier3 will work in this setup. Anyone tried this out?

Nov 2, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #98 of 442
Will the iPurifier3 get enough power if only connected to an iPhone using the CCK adapter? I often stream Tidal on my phone and use the CCK adapter to connect to my JDS OL DAC. The OL DAC is self powered, so it’s not drawing any current from the phone. I just want to make sure the iPurifier3 will work in this setup. Anyone tried this out?
Propably not. Last time I tried out of my iPad air with my xDSD I could not power the ipurifier 3 unfortunately. Not even from my motoX which seems not to provide enough power from the usb port in general.

Nov 2, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #99 of 442
Propably not. Last time I tried out of my iPad air with my xDSD I could not power the ipurifier 3 unfortunately. Not even from my motoX which seems not to provide enough power from the usb port in general.
That’s too bad. Then again, I’m not sure how much the iPurifier3 is needed when using the iPhone as a source. If I get the nano iUSB3.0 it will work with the phone or computer because it’s got an iPower to provide power. May be total overkill for my setup though.

Nov 2, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #100 of 442
I was playing around the other day and hooked the iPurifier 3 up like this:

Samsung S7 > iPurifier 3 > Dragonfly Black 1.5. The setup worked really well actually, and iPurifier cleaned the sound of phone up a lot, almost to metaphorical whiteboard levels of clean. It was extremely smooth sounding.

Then I hooked up my LG V20 > iPurifier 3 > Dragonfly Black 1.5 and......haven't really experimented with that yet, but I assume it'll do essentially the same thing. However, to get the V20 to recognize anything, I had to go directly V20 > Audioquest C to USB A plug > rest of chain. Using a USB C cable (Audioquest) did not trigger any signal to iPurifier 3. I'll post pics if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #101 of 442
@stuck limo So you are saying the iPurifier3 in your setup is powered adequately by your phones? Looks like your phone is able to power the iPurifier3 and Dragonfly.

Has anyone successfully powered their iPurifier3 using their iPhone and the new style CCK adapter that has the female USB port and lightning port side by side?

Nov 2, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #102 of 442
@stuck limo So you are saying the iPurifier3 in your setup is powered adequately by your phones? Looks like your phone is able to power the iPurifier3 and Dragonfly.

Has anyone successfully powered their iPurifier3 using their iPhone and the new style CCK adapter that has the female USB port and lightning port side by side?

Yes, apparently both of them can. I've run no battery tests though, so I don't know if it's a viable option for long-ish term use. (my guess is no)

EDIT: The V20 seems incredibly glitchy with recognizing the iPurifier 2 or 3. I got the phone to recognize the 3 a couple of times but when I tried it again, I get zero recognition, even after trying all USB options in the pull down menu (Charge/File Transfer/etc.). Got no recognition on the 2 at all.

I have no such issues with my Samsung S7.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #103 of 442
But, but, just why? The point of the iPurifier is clean up noisy signals coming out of your PC. Your Smartphone and an OTG+ DAC is already the prefect scenario in terms of no noise (battery FTW!) and low jitter, and makes the iPurifier3 do nothing but drain your batteries. Think about it, it's just not practical! An interesting idea indeed, but useless.

FYI I have used the CCK with my iPurifier2, iPod touch 6G, and my xDSD. I heard no audible difference in audio quality (noise, jitter). What I did notice is how bloody fast my iPod's battery drained, and how ugly the chain was.
Edit: The only reason I even tried was because the cables I was using was already set up when I was doing the xDSD review, and I thought, why not eh?

Maybe it's just me, but with the xDSD using my iPod and Neutron as the transport vs my PC using Audirvana (and the iPurifier3), the iPod produces a much cleaner and refined sound. If only there was a way to incorporate my iTube2 with battery pack into the chain....

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #104 of 442
I just assumed my iPhone was just as prone to USB issues as my computer, but it is great to know I may be completely mistaken. If given the choice of steaming Tidal Hi-fi on my PC or iPhone (either of which is connected to the same external DAC), are you saying the phone may be the better option?

Nov 3, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #105 of 442
If given the choice of steaming Tidal Hi-fi on my PC or iPhone (either of which is connected to the same external DAC), are you saying the phone may be the better option?

I would say the pc is probably better for other reasons. The software in tidal on pc with direct mode/exclusive whatever is called it seems much better.

Actually in general, these are very tough questions to answer with yes or not. There are so many variables. Software, updated apps that change behaviour and so so much...

Example: xDSD was amazing with my iPad air through usb the old adapter without power in iOS 11. I think something changed in ios12 when briefly listen the other time.

But in general with computer audio there so many variables and changes and things are not designed for audio that even companies are confused.

The cck usb3 with power should work I do not see a problem otherwise.

Ipurifier 3 with phone is not convenient although I expect will improve the sound but I wanted to do with iPad air which has more capacity near my bed for night listening.

Now I am using ipurifier 3 in various combinations, with xDSD with dragongly 1.2 in combination with PC, usbridge and raspberry pi next to my bed. Too many combinations I am confused, i cannot yet rank things.

But I am impressed with my surface book.

I can not stress enough that there many unknown variables here.

1) even if ipurifier is powered from mobile device is it powered adequately?
2) is the driver in the Linux distribution in max2play of my raspberry pi the correct one? Why ipurifier 3 + dragonfly with my surface book sounds so good and with my pi can't even drive properly my HD6XX?

For a mobile cheap and affordable solution also jitterbug helps with dragongly.

I think ipurifier 3 is designed for computers and can work well with network adapters. But still I am early in my testing I can't make any conclusions yet, my review will attempt to clarify all these things.

But it seems that improves the sound even further with xDSD from my surface book and I do not know how I should feel about this.
IMG_20181027_123750951.jpg

IMG_20181027_114627357.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back