iFi audio iDSD Signature - The saga continues!
Nov 14, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #466 of 2,172
Went to Audio46 today to pick up the iESL and ended up with the signature. The iESL will have to wait for Christmas. I have the whole micro stack, including Gemini cable, iPurifier, and iRaq (joke). I also have the Black Label which sounds better than the original iDSD. I’m glad to say the signature sounds better than the black label. Soundstage is bigger, bass, deeper, treble, a little brighter and airier. It’s better all around. Not a night and day difference, but noticeable. I’ve always loved the form factor.

Nov 15, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #467 of 2,172
Thanks for taking these beautiful shots, looking forward to your impressions as well!
Now I spent some time with the iDSD signature. Summary of my first impressions: :) :beerchug:

The iDSD Signature drives the HD800S very well. I set Power Mode to normal which is just right for my taste (I don’t like it too loud). I’m still experimenting with the filter settings. When listening to Jazz (piano, acoustic bass, drums) I set XBass on most of the time. The 3D switch changes the sound considerably, on some recordings I still prefer without 3D (classical music mostly). Overall it’s a real pleasure listening my music with the iDSD together with the HD800S.

The iDSD has the form factor and the features I was looking for: a USB DAC/AMP that is easy transportable for use at home, battery capacity for at least half a day without recharge necessary, enough power to drive demanding headphones. The DAC section should be capable to decode different formats. So overall for my preferences the iDSD is a perfect match. It’s nice that I can connect the HD800S balanced, too. I will compare the two connections in the next few days but I think I will stick to the balanced connection.

Some negative points? Yes, it’s about colours. No, not the so called space blue anodising. That blue colour is sooo elegant and classy, really. When you look at the iDSD from a distance it looks more black than blue. When you change the viewing angle it changes towards a dark blue. So cool. Way better than black or silver. One problem with the colour is that the technical specs on the bottom of the iDSD are printed in black. Hardly readable. I have a bit limited eyesight but still, why not print this in a manner that it is readable without special lighting.

And in case ifi decides to improve this I would suggest not to print the technical specs but some help that explains the meaning of the LEDs colours (charging LED and LED on front) and some hints about the charging logic. Who needs to read the specs while using the iDSD? No one. Who needs to know the meaning of the LEDs? Everyone :sunglasses: And the last point about colour is regarding the cables. The bright blue USB cable looks a bit cheap next to the iDSD. I would prefer the same finish as the ifi OTG cables. I use one and these look so much better.

Enough nagging :) Did I mention that the iDSD sounds good? I really like it. A cool little device and a perfect match for the way I like to listen to music. Well done, ifi.

Nov 15, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #468 of 2,172
Now I spent some time with the iDSD signature. Summary of my first impressions: :) :beerchug:

The iDSD Signature drives the HD800S very well. I set Power Mode to normal which is just right for my taste (I don’t like it too loud). I’m still experimenting with the filter settings. When listening to Jazz (piano, acoustic bass, drums) I set XBass on most of the time. The 3D switch changes the sound considerably, on some recordings I still prefer without 3D (classical music mostly). Overall it’s a real pleasure listening my music with the iDSD together with the HD800S.

The iDSD has the form factor and the features I was looking for: a USB DAC/AMP that is easy transportable for use at home, battery capacity for at least half a day without recharge necessary, enough power to drive demanding headphones. The DAC section should be capable to decode different formats. So overall for my preferences the iDSD is a perfect match. It’s nice that I can connect the HD800S balanced, too. I will compare the two connections in the next few days but I think I will stick to the balanced connection.

Some negative points? Yes, it’s about colours. No, not the so called space blue anodising. That blue colour is sooo elegant and classy, really. When you look at the iDSD from a distance it looks more black than blue. When you change the viewing angle it changes towards a dark blue. So cool. Way better than black or silver. One problem with the colour is that the technical specs on the bottom of the iDSD are printed in black. Hardly readable. I have a bit limited eyesight but still, why not print this in a manner that it is readable without special lighting.

And in case ifi decides to improve this I would suggest not to print the technical specs but some help that explains the meaning of the LEDs colours (charging LED and LED on front) and some hints about the charging logic. Who needs to read the specs while using the iDSD? No one. Who needs to know the meaning of the LEDs? Everyone :sunglasses: And the last point about colour is regarding the cables. The bright blue USB cable looks a bit cheap next to the iDSD. I would prefer the same finish as the ifi OTG cables. I use one and these look so much better.

Enough nagging :) Did I mention that the iDSD sounds good? I really like it. A cool little device and a perfect match for the way I like to listen to music. Well done, ifi.

Thank you dear. The more reviews that I read the more excited I am to get mine next week.
This 3d thingy, is it some kind of a crossfeed? I never owned any previous versions, so not sure what to make of it. A well implemented crossfeed can really work wonders on a headphone for music. If it is done really well then the only time I would turn it off is for gaming (which already has audio encoded positionaly). Here is hoping.

Nov 15, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #470 of 2,172
If there is no additional power, what is the advantage over the prior generation of BL? Will anyone really hear better crosstalk?
You'd have to ask iFi :p but I bet that they didn't do it just for the new connector, they call it "S-balanced" claiming "it delivers the sonic benefits of balanced connections with all headphone/earphone types"

Nov 15, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #474 of 2,172
Seriously, just order an iGalvanic3.0 and try it so you know. Even if you don't have the money, you can try and return it.....then re-buy it when you have the money. The idea is that you learn what makes a difference or what is "snake oil" as one guy in this feed said.

I'm not a fan of buying if one has a strong possibility of returning, even if you get your money back. and even if you rebuy later. That's because one of several things happens:

1) The vendor is a large vendor, and treats this as used, swallows the loss, and resells for a lower price in used. But if you keep doing this, like with Amazon, eventually Amazon is Not Happy.

2) The vendor is a smaller vendor, it is honest, and the loss is felt more, and causes its costs to go up, when it is sold used.

3) The vendor is a smallerr vendor, and just repackages it as new, and someone else get a "used" item being sold as new. Not so nice to the next buyer.

Nov 15, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #475 of 2,172
I'm not a fan of buying if one has a strong possibility of returning, even if you get your money back. and even if you rebuy later. That's because one of several things happens:

1) The vendor is a large vendor, and treats this as used, swallows the loss, and resells for a lower price in used. But if you keep doing this, like with Amazon, eventually Amazon is Not Happy.

2) The vendor is a smaller vendor, it is honest, and the loss is felt more, and causes its costs to go up, when it is sold used.

3) The vendor is a smallerr vendor, and just repackages it as new, and someone else get a "used" item being sold as new. Not so nice to the next buyer.

You're right about all this above, BUT, there are so few brick and mortar outlets left to physically listen. This is a new age of retail. The vendor, if they misrepresent new/used will die. I would suggest that one be damn serious about the purchase to begin with. These costs will be built into the price of the items.....just like the brick and mortar builds the cost of their physical location into the price. It's just a different model for a different time.

Nov 15, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #478 of 2,172
BTW, if I use my iPhone, I get green

With MQA? If so, this means that what your iPhone sends out isn't MQA but PCM. You need i.e. a Neutron player app.

I just got an email from B&H Photo saying that the original BL has been discontinued.

Since micro iDSD Signature is here, this had to happen.

If there is no additional power, what is the advantage over the prior generation of BL? Will anyone really hear better crosstalk?

IIRC it was already explained in this thread what micro iDSD Signature is in the context of the BL. You might want to take a look at previous pages, it's somewhere in there.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 15, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #479 of 2,172
Can anyone do the comparison between BL and Signature either here or online......anywhere?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back