iFi audio iDSD Signature - The saga continues!
Nov 16, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #496 of 2,172
Just got mine in a few weeks ago! It's a beaut! I've been using it with Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Closed, both pretty new pieces of joy I've gotten myself.

As someone that has almost no audio gear, it's been rather insane to sort of experience clarity and sonic depth. Music doesn't sound "better", I can just hear the room more, ya know? I'd say that the Aeon 2's made the most obvious improvement in terms of music, but the Signature is pretty phenomenal in what it brought, maybe enough to make my library sound like a different set of songs. That being said, I'm impressed with how well electronic music has scaled as well. It's so, punishing really; the sudden stops, drops in bass, high frequencies, timing, percussiveness, all of that, it's like they're on time finally... I'm not saying the music is off, but rather the immediacy of the sounds are better. I've listened to these albums; what do you guys like listening to with the Sig?

• Folketoner - Det Norske Jentekor
  • Wilco - Summerteeth (remastered)
  • Max Cooper - 3D Reworks
  • Shore - Fleet Foxes
  • The Legendary Riverside Albums (remastered) - Chet Baker
  • Irene - Medasin
  • Lux - Anita Brevik
  • Debussy - Rameau - Vikingur Olafsson
  • Process - Sampha
  • Bubba - Kaytranada
  • Brandon Banks - Maxo Cream
  • Golden Hour - Kacey Musgraves
One thing to note: the first album, Folketoner, was listened in both Redbook and DSD256 (because I finally can haha), and I noticed I could hear the church it was recorded in so much better, like the resonance behind the head came through, and the way the music travelled through the building really came to life. Is this what people talk about in terms of "3D" or whatever? Not that it was holographic, but more like, I could measure distance between the singer and me, and every note came at different speeds when sung loud or soft, like how a car moving past sounds different over time. Might be the wrong thread to nerd out about the science.

Kacey is so good.

Nov 16, 2020 at 10:38 PM Post #497 of 2,172
Just got mine in a few weeks ago! It's a beaut! I've been using it with Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Closed, both pretty new pieces of joy I've gotten myself.

As someone that has almost no audio gear, it's been rather insane to sort of experience clarity and sonic depth. Music doesn't sound "better", I can just hear the room more, ya know? I'd say that the Aeon 2's made the most obvious improvement in terms of music, but the Signature is pretty phenomenal in what it brought, maybe enough to make my library sound like a different set of songs. That being said, I'm impressed with how well electronic music has scaled as well. It's so, punishing really; the sudden stops, drops in bass, high frequencies, timing, percussiveness, all of that, it's like they're on time finally... I'm not saying the music is off, but rather the immediacy of the sounds are better. I've listened to these albums; what do you guys like listening to with the Sig?

• Shore - Fleet Foxes
  • Irene - Medasin
  • Lux - Anita Brevik
  • Process - Sampha
  • Bubba - Kaytranada
One thing to note: the first album, Folketoner, was listened in both Redbook and DSD256 (because I finally can haha), and I noticed I could hear the church it was recorded in so much better, like the resonance behind the head came through, and the way the music travelled through the building really came to life. Is this what people talk about in terms of "3D" or whatever? Not that it was holographic, but more like, I could measure distance between the singer and me, and every note came at different speeds when sung loud or soft, like how a car moving past sounds different over time. Might be the wrong thread to nerd out about the science.

Kacey is so good.

Woop woop! It's totally the right thread to nerd about science!

My personal signature is coming in soon (sometime in the next week or so) and I love hearing impressions with the Aeon Flow 2 Closed because I own one (too!).

I'll let you know what albums I listen to when I get it :)

Nov 16, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #498 of 2,172
My thoughts....so far....
I used my Iphone and Ipad as the sources. Apple camera adapter 3 + the blue USB cable supplied.
Cans: Focal Clear, sensativity; 104, 56 ohms
LCD 2, sensativity; 101, 70 ohms
and HD 660s sensativity 98, 150 ohms
Settings: Eco, Bit Perfect, High sensativity
These settings allowed me to have decent volume travel so I could listen in the 11-1 o'clock range

Short takes - This is not a forgiving dac/amp. Poorly recorded tracks sound off - but it's not the Signature.
Hi res recordings sound the best.
Xbass adds weight, low end detail without sacrificing mids and highs. Great on Diana Krall tracks.
3D is more gimmicky than beneficial.
I think think the Signature matches better with warmer headphones as it's soundstage is open, clear and detailed.

The dac is awesome. I connected the Signature as a pre-amp to my Lake People G111 HeadAmp. The dac alone is worth the price of admission.

I would get into the sound now but we all have different ears and gear. Happy to answer any questions.
I need to listen a while longer to properly critique the sound.

Thanks

Nov 16, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #499 of 2,172

• Shore - Fleet Foxes
  • Irene - Medasin
  • Lux - Anita Brevik
  • Process - Sampha
  • Bubba - Kaytranada

Kacey is so good.
Golden Hour is a well recorded album. The recording engineer knew what he was doing.

Nov 17, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #502 of 2,172
@iFi audio did you guys ship the Signature to your distributors/dealers in Russia?
I see that I can pre-order in some shops but it is not clear about actual availability.
Thanks

We do, but it's best to ask our distributor in Russia directly.

Can I use the 4.4.mm and 6.4mm ports at the same time? Thanks

I'd need to double-check that, but in 99% you should be able to.

My thoughts....so far....
I used my Iphone and Ipad as the sources. Apple camera adapter 3 + the blue USB cable supplied.
Cans: Focal Clear, sensativity; 104, 56 ohms
LCD 2, sensativity; 101, 70 ohms
and HD 660s sensativity 98, 150 ohms
Settings: Eco, Bit Perfect, High sensativity
These settings allowed me to have decent volume travel so I could listen in the 11-1 o'clock range

Short takes - This is not a forgiving dac/amp. Poorly recorded tracks sound off - but it's not the Signature.
Hi res recordings sound the best.
Xbass adds weight, low end detail without sacrificing mids and highs. Great on Diana Krall tracks.
3D is more gimmicky than beneficial.
I think think the Signature matches better with warmer headphones as it's soundstage is open, clear and detailed.

The dac is awesome. I connected the Signature as a pre-amp to my Lake People G111 HeadAmp. The dac alone is worth the price of admission.

I would get into the sound now but we all have different ears and gear. Happy to answer any questions.
I need to listen a while longer to properly critique the sound.

Thanks

Thanks and please enjoy the ride :)

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 17, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #503 of 2,172
So once again I came out as an iFi fanboy.

I have now all micro iDSD through. Started 3 years ago with the micro iDSD silver, then the BL. There the sound difference to the silver was not big. The investment could have been saved. 3D and XBass was slightly better. I sold the BL this summer because I had bought a Burson 3XP for my stationary workplace. Yes, I always have the sale ready. There is nothing like iFi house sound!

Now the signature came out... yes that's where I got weak. Add to that the fact that I had set up a third workstation at home for my occasional employee... Corona needs distance. There I work with HP Spectre 360X 15 and Philips Monitor 32 inch 4K. Of course the sounding was missing. So I ordered Signature. It arrived today!

So it's connected right away. I connected it to the monitor. Monitor goes with USB-C cable to the laptop. So I can use the iFi with every connected laptop and it connects automatically.

Yes there it is again, the missing micro sound! Yes it looks nicer in blue like the BL. The keys are better. Sound? Honestly, I can't hear any difference to the BL. So if you have a BL you don't have to update. If you buy a new one, in this size it is the best you can buy for money. Unbelievable power, absolutely clear sound, enormous basses, just to fall in love with. Also guaranteed to work with every headphone. So very happy at the moment again.

New is a female USB-A connector on the Signature. So far USB-B. There is a cable from USB-A male to USB-A female. Yes that works. There is also a USB-A female to USB-C male. Just ask me, what iFi was thinking here. Absolutely worthless and not to use. The idea was that you can connect with USB-C. Yes that works. But where does the USB-A port go? It doesn't fit anywhere. Neither as adapter to the blue USB cable nor directly into the device! Total bulls.... from iFi. Sorry! For iPad etc. you would have had to deliver a USB-C male to USB-A female. Then it would fit. Well, there are apparently employees who are not so intelligent, or I am not, because I don't know what to do with the cable... maybe one of you has the solution!
Image.jpeg
Image(2).jpeg
Image(1).jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #505 of 2,172
Beautiful rig @Swisshead! We share the exact same cable and Flow 2 setup!

100%, @aspirina750 - we're big USB C fans over here as well!

Nov 17, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #506 of 2,172
So I just got a BL for just shy of 220. Heck of a deal. Some people here though are claiming they are getting a significant increase in clarity, soundstage, treble, and separation with the signature. Is this just hyperbole, or will I see a significant upgrade selling my BL and paying an extra 400 for a signature?

Nov 17, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #507 of 2,172
So I just got a BL for just shy of 220. Heck of a deal. Some people here though are claiming they are getting a significant increase in clarity, soundstage, treble, and separation with the signature. Is this just hyperbole, or will I see a significant upgrade selling my BL and paying an extra 400 for a signature?

You know a lot of if is in the head. People that own BL for some time will get used to the sound (we are wired like that) and the Sig giving a "new" sound especially as we are conditioning out brain to expect better, will sound better. I mean go read the review of the BL before the Sig came out. If you had to quantify what the current reviews (by previous BL owners) are saying about how much better is sounds. It would technically mean that the Sig sound better than almost anything else out there. I mean BL "Sounded SOOOOO good". Not all of a sudden Sig sounds "SOOOO much better than BL".

Obviously I am exaggerating a bit, but my point is so are the ears of most of these people. That is not how music works. Sounding "much" better does not scale that way at this level. Wonder what these people would say if they listens to IFI much more expensive offerings. Sig is NOT the next best thing. I say this as brand new SIG owner myself...

But if you want to be convinced about the need to spend "more" money for gear upgrade, then you came to the best forum in the whole wild world.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #508 of 2,172
Not significant upgrade in anything, just noticeable, particularly out of 4.4 balanced.

Nov 17, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #509 of 2,172
You know a lot of if is in the head. People that own BL for some time will get used to the sound (we are wired like that) and the Sig giving a "new" sound especially as we are conditioning out brain to expect better, will sound better. I mean go read the review of the BL before the Sig came out. If you had to quantify what the current reviews (by previous BL owners) are saying about how much better is sounds. It would technically mean that the Sig sound better than almost anything else out there. I mean BL "Sounded SOOOOO good". Not all of a sudden Sig sounds "SOOOO much better than BL".

Obviously I am exaggerating a bit, but my point is so are the ears of most of these people. That is not how music works. Sounding "much" better does not scale that way at this level. Wonder what these people would say if they listens to IFI much more expensive offerings. Sig is NOT the next best thing. I say this as brand new SIG owner myself...

But if you want to be convinced about the need to spend "more" money for gear upgrade, then you came to the best forum in the whole wild world.

Do you own the signature? Once you get it, please provide your feedback. Also, I never stated it sounded much better, just better. I always thought the BL was too smooth sounding and the treble was a little off before I even purchased the signature. The BL wasn’t the end all, and neither is the signature, but I do know 1 thing, the signature sounds better. I can’t put a dollar difference on it, you get what you pay for generally.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #510 of 2,172
Do you own the signature? Once you get it, please provide your feedback. Also, I never stated it sounded much better, just better. I always thought the BL was too smooth sounding and the treble was a little off before I even purchased the signature. The BL wasn’t the end all, and neither is the signature, but I do know 1 thing, the signature sounds better. I can’t put a dollar difference on it, you get what you pay for generally.

Yes, as I mentioned my Sig arrived today. But I I never owned a BL, so cannot compare. Also I am no audiophile (completely average hearing) and neither my new D177X and FIBAE 6 (custom IEM) have arrived yet. So for a few days we will just be staring at each other :xf_eek:

BTW I do not doubt got one minute that you like the sound better. You have no reason to lie about it.
That was not my point.
You did mention that you can put a dollar difference on it. How much would you say? That is more in like with the question that guy was asking.

1605637128200.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back