iFi audio iCAN Phantom - Vanish into the music!
Jul 29, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #181 of 301
@BTD1 , I can't find the App (in Google Play there is only an iFi Steam Application from iFi):

photo_2023-07-29_22-20-02.jpg

photo_2023-07-29_22-20-09.jpg

@Mr BubbaHyde, could You please let us know the correct App Name for iCan Phantom / Nexis module?
I tried "iFi Nexis" and "iFi iCan Phantom", but I can't find anything similar in Google Play (my phone is Galaxy S23, Android 13).

Jul 30, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #182 of 301
@BTD1 , I can't find the App (in Google Play there is only an iFi Steam Application from iFi):

@Mr BubbaHyde, could You please let us know the correct App Name for iCan Phantom / Nexis module?
I tried "iFi Nexis" and "iFi iCan Phantom", but I can't find anything similar in Google Play (my phone is Galaxy S23, Android 13).
I will check the specifics for you and post back hopefully tomorrow when I have an answer for you.

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 5, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #183 of 301
Still breaking in my Phantom received last week …
IMG_1116.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 12:10 AM Post #184 of 301
Hi there. Am a new member here who has been slowly building my collection of audio paraphernalia since I started dipping my toes into the Audiophile “Pool” about 10 years ago.
It’s been an interesting journey navigating the different driver technologies and the various DAC chips and their sonic distinctions that feed them, not to mention my own acoustic preferences, auditory biases & age specific limitations. Have subsequently come to realize my own preference for a darker/warmer sound rather than a colder/sterile reference sound. Got recently hooked onto the E-stat sound after an SR-L700Mk1 demo and after much research managed to acquire a SR-007Mk1 and in my quest for an appropriate amp to drive them stumbled upon the ifi Phantom (which would also hopefully satisfy my quest for better amplification for my other headphones as well) and pre-ordered it. I must say I’m quite satisfied with it so far, although I’m a little underwhelmed using it with my SR-007. Maybe have to try the different options available in the ESL section;
- AC termination adjustment - Normal, Pro & Full (which dont seem to have any effect at all on my SR-007)
- Impedance adjustment - 16, 24, 64, 96 ohms (preferred 16 Ohms as it seems loudest)
Pls excuse the jumble of interconnects & switches as they’re the only way I can try any & all combos of my various DACs & amps from my Roon/Tidal PC source.
Observations so far:
Can use the XLR (back), XLR HP (Front) & iESL outs simultaneously !
Need to mod my SR-007 pads as I have larger ears.
My current DAC ranking (based on my sound preferences) VMV D1SE2>Ares 12th-1>EF400>D90 (Haven’t got round to my DAVE yet)
Any recommendation/suggestions are most welcome

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 12:13 AM Post #185 of 301

Can’t find it on the iOS App store either. Don’t think it’s out yet

Aug 6, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #186 of 301
Can’t find it on the iOS App store either. Don’t think it’s out yet
I’m hearing that they are still working on early test builds of the app. No date set for release yet.

Aug 6, 2023 at 1:46 AM Post #187 of 301
Hi there. Am a new member here who has been slowly building my collection of audio paraphernalia since I started dipping my toes into the Audiophile “Pool” about 10 years ago.
It’s been an interesting journey navigating the different driver technologies and the various DAC chips and their sonic distinctions that feed them, not to mention my own acoustic preferences, auditory biases & age specific limitations. Have subsequently come to realize my own preference for a darker/warmer sound rather than a colder/sterile reference sound. Got recently hooked onto the E-stat sound after an SL-700Mk1 demo and after much research managed to acquire a SR-007Mk1 and in my quest for an appropriate amp to drive them stumbled upon the ifi Phantom (which would also hopefully satisfy my quest for better amplification for my other headphones as well) and pre-ordered it. I must say I’m quite satisfied with it so far, although I’m a little underwhelmed using it with my SR-007. Maybe have to try the different options available in the ESL section;
- AC termination adjustment - Normal, Pro & Full (which dont seem to have any effect at all on my SR-007)
- Impedance adjustment - 16, 24, 64, 96 ohms (preferred 16 Ohms as it seems loudest)
Pls excuse the jumble of interconnects & switches as they’re the only way I can try any & all combos of my various DACs & amps from my Roon/Tidal PC source.
Observations so far:
Can use the XLR (back), XLR HP (Front) & ESL outs simultaneously !
Need to mod my SR-007 pads as I have larger ears.
My current DAC ranking (based on my sound preferences) VMV D1SE2>Ares 12th-1>EF400>D90 (Haven’t got round to my DAVE yet)
Any recommendation/suggestions are most welcome
It might not have the stones for the SR-007 unfortunately, they don't talk about it much but the Phantom isn't even direct drive and still uses relatively small transformers... They should have kept the iESL in production at the very least so you could use proper proper amps to drive it...

Aug 6, 2023 at 5:53 AM Post #188 of 301
It might not have the stones for the SR-007 unfortunately, they don't talk about it much but the Phantom isn't even direct drive and still uses relatively small transformers... They should have kept the iESL in production at the very least so you could use proper proper amps to drive it...
Just 'discovered' the Gain button which made the SR-007 come alive. Options are 0, 9 or 18 dB (9dB does the trick for me). Between the Gain & Impedance adjustments its got pretty much all headphones covered I figure.
Apparently X-Bass, X-Space, iE Match, Gain and Impedance can be used (but may not work) across ALL headphone outputs (including the iESL) - but obviously don't use the same settings for all headphones i.e. although you can connect multiple headphones simultaneous its NOT advisable. If only there was a way to remember settings for different headphones (although it remembers the last used settings on start up). Will have to wait for the ifi Nexis app and see...
Also the remote is quite comprehensive with access to all the functions & options available - the volume buttons are quite finicky and jump 1-3 steps depending on the slightest pressure variations (seems almost random!)

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #189 of 301
Just 'discovered' the Gain button which made the SR-007 come alive. Options are 0, 9 or 18 dB (9dB does the trick for me). Between the Gain & Impedance adjustments its got pretty much all headphones covered I figure.
Apparently X-Bass, X-Space, iE Match, Gain and Impedance can be used (but may not work) across ALL headphone outputs (including the iESL) - but obviously don't use the same settings for all headphones i.e. although you can connect multiple headphones simultaneous its NOT advisable. If only there was a way to remember settings for different headphones (although it remembers the last used settings on start up). Will have to wait for the ifi Nexis app and see...
Also the remote is quite comprehensive with access to all the functions & options available - the volume buttons are quite finicky and jump 1-3 steps depending on the slightest pressure variations (seems almost random!)

Although the backlit motorized volume knob more than makes up for it

trim.007420DE-1378-46FA-9B11-0A3B09A8561F.gif

Aug 7, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #190 of 301
Although the backlit motorized volume knob more than makes up for it

trim.007420DE-1378-46FA-9B11-0A3B09A8561F.gif
If you are using a DAC than can output higher than the standard 2V, wouldn't that increase the headroom available to any e-stats you might want to use? Have you tested this to any extent?

Aug 7, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #191 of 301
If you are using a DAC than can output higher than the standard 2V, wouldn't that increase the headroom available to any e-stats you might want to use? Have you tested this to any extent?
I hear about this all the time, but what DAC's output more than 2V besides the Ferrum WANDALA Also, what is the output voltage of the if Pro iDSD?

Aug 7, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #192 of 301
I hear about this all the time, but what DAC's output more than 2V besides the Ferrum WANDALA Also, what is the output voltage of the if Pro iDSD?
I have a Mola Mola TambaQUI that can be configured to output 6V. I haven't used my iDSD in a while but it has a switch that configures it to Pro variable or fixed which is higher than standard or to HiFi variable or fixed.

Aug 8, 2023 at 2:19 AM Post #193 of 301
I had assumed the same about DAC output. I’m using XLR interconnects from all my DACs but am unsure if the passive XLR switches maybe attenuatIng them. The rated output voltage/amplitudes for my DACs as advertised are: D90=4Vrms, DV1SE2=5.2Vrms, Ares 12th-1=4.4(+/-10%) Vrms. All seem >2V

Aug 10, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #195 of 301
To: @Mr BubbaHyde iFi sponsor. There don't seem to be many reviews at all out in the wild. With such a unique product you would think there would be more buzz out there. Do you have any major reviewers publishing their thoughts on the Phantom any time soon? For a major flagship introduction, things seem very quiet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back