iFi audio GO blu - Super small. Super light. Super Sound.
Oct 9, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #497 of 1,594
Put another magnetic holder on the GO Blu.

PSX_20211009_174641.jpg

Oct 9, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #498 of 1,594
Put another magnetic holder on the GO Blu.

PSX_20211009_174641.jpg
What is your take on the Go Blue btw? (Because you have reviewed all those BT dongles…)

Oct 9, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #499 of 1,594
What is your take on the Go Blue btw? (Because you have reviewed all those BT dongles…)

While my initial impression is positive, I haven't gave it enough time for any conclusion yet.

Oct 9, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #500 of 1,594
Today I have a chance to auditioned a bunch of IFI stuffs like Go Blue and Hip DAC 2, I write this review as soon as I could because i'm afraid to forget the impression.

What i like:
First of all, im in the market for new bluetooth amp and looking for an upgrade from my Shanling UP4. First impression with GO Blue is really good, yes it is warm and got a somewhat heavy tonal weight, but don't worry, imho it doesn't sound boring or sluggish like some old FiiO X Series because it got a remarkable dynamic range that enough to crush UP4 in that respect. It's the kind of a DAC when you tried it for the first time gives the "woah" effect whether you an audio enthusiast or just a casual who plug his/her earphone to mobile phone, it has a significant difference and upgrade compared to listening from your mobile phone.

Go blue carry the sound signature of Ifi house, seriously if you like any ifi product before, this product will surely suit your taste. Staging is really nice, the soundfield surround your head and give impression of wide soundstage; simply a pair made in heaven for orchestral music. By the way i only use low impedace IEM so i can't really judge about its power to drive power hungry headphone like Senny. on normal mode, it got healthy boost on bass and upper mid to make the song feel exciting and fun, honestly i have zero complain in term of frequency response tuning. I couldn't care less about the absence of clip because I only use my DAC on bed/table and because I used it for basic function, i found no inconvenient or bug during my session.

What i dont:
Xbass and Xspace sounded too artificial for me. It's not like i hate bass sounding IEM, but the Xbass doesn't really increase the bass slam, instead, it adds extra warmth on the mid bass region which i can't really enjoy. The Xspace kinda make tonal into weird, so yeah both feature are a hard pass for me. However don't get me wrong, even when i close my eyes to both feature, Go Blue is still a good bluetooth DAC in my book.

i listened to Go blue for like 30-50 minutes, after intense listening i found a few flaw in Go Blue. The warmth sounding makes the tonal too cohesive, separation is not the best point in this DAC, i wont say as far that the separation is bad, but coming from a cheaper UP4, i can still pinpoint instrument better on UP4 and make Go blue sounds more grainy. I've zero experience in modding Bluetooth DAC, but I think using better OPAMP such as OPA 1612 as LPF could fix the problem or just make a better shielding to minimize Electrical interference.

Conclusion:
Go blue is a good Bluetooth DAC, the only reason i haven't pulled the trigger because I kinda tempted to buy Hip DAC 2 instead, it has the same energy with Go Blue, having cleaner sound and better separation for cheaper price in my place. I'm still not sure whether I should choose portability in Go Blue or go for Hip Dac 2 for better sound quality albeit the impractical feeling of using cable

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #501 of 1,594
I‘ve had my unit for about two weeks now, mainly using it with my N8. Sound is fine, although I still like the ES100 a bit better. The build quality of the GO is much better though (the clip on the ES100 is nice to have, but so fragile that I constantly have to readjust it’s spine).

I really don’t mind the absence of a dedicated app except for firmware updates: I don’t use Android, so that’s rather unsatisfactory.

Oct 10, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #502 of 1,594
Go blue is a good Bluetooth DAC, the only reason i haven't pulled the trigger because I kinda tempted to buy Hip DAC 2 instead, it has the same energy with Go Blue, having cleaner sound and better separation for cheaper price in my place. I'm still not sure whether I should choose portability in Go Blue or go for Hip Dac 2 for better sound quality albeit the impractical feeling of using cable

First of all, many thanks for your impressions. And secondly, GO blu is the one to go after if on top of sound quality you also want something super-small and wireless. If not, hip-dac 2 is in the same ballpark as far as sound performance goes.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 11, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #503 of 1,594
I’ve been using the blu for about a week now and I much say that it pairs excellent with the focal phones I have.

I have been playing test tones to try Xbass, I hear boosts starting at 30hz, the easiest way to test I found was start playing a test tone, decrease the volume to just inaudible and then hit Xbass which brings the bass to audible.

I have not found much use for Xspace although I generally dislike soundstage.

edit* how does one tell when the go blu has finished charging? It always just stays at green light, it’s annoying

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #504 of 1,594
I’ve been using the blu for about a week now and I much say that it pairs excellent with the focal phones I have.

I have been playing test tones to try Xbass, I hear boosts starting at 30hz, the easiest way to test I found was start playing a test tone, decrease the volume to just inaudible and then hit Xbass which brings the bass to audible.

I have not found much use for Xspace although I generally dislike soundstage.

edit* how does one tell when the go blu has finished charging? It always just stays at green light, it’s annoying
Which focal headphones did you try out on it?

Oct 11, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #505 of 1,594
Which focal headphones did you try out on it?
I have: Stellia, Elear, Clear mg and Utopia
The Blu does not add any slam but it does not remove it either so good match, the Xbass just increases bass, which is a little to much for me with the Stellia, unless I switch to other pads

maybe punch would be a better word than slam

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #507 of 1,594
I have: Stellia, Elear, Clear mg and Utopia
The Blu does not add any slam but it does not remove it either so good match, the Xbass just increases bass, which is a little to much for me with the Stellia, unless I switch to other pads

maybe punch would be a better word than slam
Nice! Got the clear mg coming my way for Christmas so good to know it’s a good match.

This must mean it would work well with the Celestee as well. That could be a really good portable option.

Oct 11, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #508 of 1,594
I thus trust that you're a Focal fan :)
Good guess :dt880smile:
Nice! Got the clear mg coming my way for Christmas so good to know it’s a good match.

This must mean it would work well with the Celestee as well. That could be a really good portable option.
I assume it will be nice with the Celestee but my experience with the closed focals is limited to the Stellia, I am actually thinking the Xspace might be nice with the closed models. I’ll try it when I’m home

Oct 11, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #510 of 1,594
Does it work for tws ; - ; never used a bluetooth dac before
You mean you would like to hook up your true wireless earphones with the Go Blue? This does not work, since the Go Blue is a BT receiver and not a transmitter…nor would it make any sense, because the digital signal will be converted to an analog signal through the DAC chip in your tws earphones anyway, no matter whether your phone or any other source sends it to it (means: you would not take any advantage of the DAC section of the Go Blue even if it was a BT transmitter)…

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back