iFi audio GO blu - Super small. Super light. Super Sound.
Sep 10, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #76 of 1,588
SoundAssistant_com.samsung.android.soundassistant.apk works on my Samsung S21 and my Samsung S7 to provide me more steps. So rather than 15, I have 75. (I could have 150 steps but that is too granular for me). I don't know if it works with non-samsung devices but it might be worth a try.
Some music players also allow the same in their settings. Poweramp and Neutron are two I can recall.

Sep 10, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #78 of 1,588
So only 5mW more than a BTR5 but more than double the price? Personally, I don't think 4.4mm and xbass /xspace bridge that gap for me (you may feel differently about that and that's ok).

It does look at very pretty and ifi build quality is usually excellent. But the price gap between this and the BTR5/Qudelix 5k makes this a hard sell for me based on current info on the ifi Go blu

Now, if I was to be told 1- that this could also output audio via USB-C so that it could act as a bluetooth receiver for other transportable DAC/Amps like the micro idsd Signature or Diablo (or even the dethonray Honey); and 2 - that we can expect an aptx
Lossless firmware update in the near future for this that would make the price more compelling. Without these features I'm happy sticking with my BTR5 and Qudelix 5k until they either die (which may be a while because they seem solid) or a more interesting proposition comes along.
I am a bit of an iFi fanboy. But I don't think they did their homework on this product; the Qudelix 5k is better featured at half the price - and sounds fantastic...

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #79 of 1,588
there’s not a hint of compromise when it comes to sound quality.
I wonder if the Blu could be upgraded to the upcoming aptx lossless codec that Qualcomm just launched.
there's no saying it can't be in the future, but for now, there are no plans.
Gonna be interesting to see the marketing blurb on that one.
The iFi GO blu v2 with aptX lossless, as free of compromises as ever, but better nonetheless!

Sep 10, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #81 of 1,588
MQAs are messed up. I wouldn't even want it in any form or shape in my collection. Watch Golden Sound's video to see what I mean.

Posting under spoiler to aviod any offtopic objection….Go all four links.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #83 of 1,588
How do we know its the correct VRMS? or should we not pay too much attention to that?
A multimeter will help.

...or you can do this: turn your external amp / loudspeaker volume to what you usually will listen to, then increase the volume on GO Blu till it almost match your usual listening volume.

On extra note, there is no universal “correct” Vrms except that which gives the best dynamic range. That is usually not easy to determine without an audio analyzer.

Sep 11, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #84 of 1,588
How do we know its the correct VRMS? or should we not pay too much attention to that?
Xcan need 2v
Ifi idsd black only need 1V in?( read it somewhere)
My monitors need only 1V. Distort if i give them moore

so we should check before buy

Sep 11, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #85 of 1,588
Not including a clip seems like a big mistake in my books. Why bother including a microphone and call functionality for "hands free" if you can't clip it to anything...

Sep 11, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #86 of 1,588
Looks great and well specced. Given the form factor. They will sell loads of them for sure.
I’m sure there will be cases available from someone with clips on - not that I have ever used a clip.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #87 of 1,588
Really glad iFi has entered the space! Will most likely pick one up.

Sep 11, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #88 of 1,588
Dammit, I'm VERY happy with the Qudelix 5K (IMO better, slightly, in every way than the BTR5 I had, except maybe cosmetic. For the purposes of my argument I am pretending that the BTR5 cosmetics aren't ruined by fingerprints ), but I much prefer 4.4 over 2.5, and the inclusion of a volume wheel is also a BIG plus for me over buttons.
I'm also fine with no clip (as long as I can get something to attach, like a case or whatever) as I rarely use the clip on the 5K. The magnets I use are more convenient, so I kinda wish the clip of the 5K was removable.
Just don't make it like the BTR5 clip please, which adds a fair bit of bulk, and really ruins the look of the device.

The 5K app and features it provides are phenomenal, but I only really use them to find things out about new earphones I've bought, and then I nearly always turn all the EQ off for normal use anyway. The simplicity of x-bass on or off is appealing too, and probably all I really need.
The only remaining feature missing from my perfect BT DAC/amp wish-list is a water resistance rating, which none of the worthwhile competing BT DAC/Amps have either.
I also look forward to reading how BT stability is. I had to return my BTR5 due to very sketchy BT stability, thankfully the 5K is much better in that regard, so at least I know it can be done.

The price is kinda steep, especially without any included case/clip/magnet attachment, but if iFi have matched or even bettered the superb SQ of the 5K then it will be well worth it, as the 5K is slightly better than the already excellent BTR5 (IMO of course). iFi do have a great reputation in all the technologies present in the GO blu though, so I suppose it's possible they've squeezed even better SQ from BT?

I am frankly amazed at how much better BT can sound nowadays, although I've not heard any TWS iem's yet, I'm certain I'd lose a device that small, or run them through the washing machine or something (another reason, along with weather and watersports for a waterproof device!)

I can't get over iFi managing to cram a 4.4 into this tiny box, it's gonna require a custom cable/s though, another expense to add to an already high price.
I'm really on the fence re' this one as I'd have to sell the 5K (and cables) to finance it and that's a tough call.

Sep 11, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #89 of 1,588
So only 5mW more than a BTR5 but more than double the price? Personally, I don't think 4.4mm and xbass /xspace bridge that gap for me (you may feel differently about that and that's ok).

It does look at very pretty and ifi build quality is usually excellent. But the price gap between this and the BTR5/Qudelix 5k makes this a hard sell for me based on current info on the ifi Go blu

Now, if I was to be told 1- that this could also output audio via USB-C so that it could act as a bluetooth receiver for other transportable DAC/Amps like the micro idsd Signature or Diablo (or even the dethonray Honey); and 2 - that we can expect an aptx
Lossless firmware update in the near future for this that would make the price more compelling. Without these features I'm happy sticking with my BTR5 and Qudelix 5k until they either die (which may be a while because they seem solid) or a more interesting proposition comes along.
@Sebastien Chiu

Does this screenshot below from the user manual mean I should take back point 1 of my rant above?

Screenshot_20210911-100233_Drive.jpg

Specifically, can this Go Blu be connected via the USB-C port to the USB input of the micro iDSD Signature using the ifi USB-C OTG cable to essentially add Bluetooth to the Signature?

If so I'm, half way to adding this to my ifi collection (which so far has included the Zen DAC, Zen Can, Nano BL, micro signature and a couple of OTGs for good measure)

It seems clear to me that the marketing copy on the website was really cognizant that AptX Lossless was inconveniently announced just as the Go was about to drop (lots of references to "every current" Bluetooth format. Can/will AptX lossless be added by a firmware update or will that have to wait for a Go Blu V2?

Sep 11, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #90 of 1,588
Dammit, I'm VERY happy with the Qudelix 5K (IMO better, slightly, in every way than the BTR5 I had, except maybe cosmetic. For the purposes of my argument I am pretending that the BTR5 cosmetics aren't ruined by fingerprints ), but I much prefer 4.4 over 2.5, and the inclusion of a volume wheel is also a BIG plus for me over buttons.
I'm also fine with no clip (as long as I can get something to attach, like a case or whatever) as I rarely use the clip on the 5K. The magnets I use are more convenient, so I kinda wish the clip of the 5K was removable.
Just don't make it like the BTR5 clip please, which adds a fair bit of bulk, and really ruins the look of the device.

The 5K app and features it provides are phenomenal, but I only really use them to find things out about new earphones I've bought, and then I nearly always turn all the EQ off for normal use anyway. The simplicity of x-bass on or off is appealing too, and probably all I really need.
The only remaining feature missing from my perfect BT DAC/amp wish-list is a water resistance rating, which none of the worthwhile competing BT DAC/Amps have either.
I also look forward to reading how BT stability is. I had to return my BTR5 due to very sketchy BT stability, thankfully the 5K is much better in that regard, so at least I know it can be done.

The price is kinda steep, especially without any included case/clip/magnet attachment, but if iFi have matched or even bettered the superb SQ of the 5K then it will be well worth it, as the 5K is slightly better than the already excellent BTR5 (IMO of course). iFi do have a great reputation in all the technologies present in the GO blu though, so I suppose it's possible they've squeezed even better SQ from BT?

I am frankly amazed at how much better BT can sound nowadays, although I've not heard any TWS iem's yet, I'm certain I'd lose a device that small, or run them through the washing machine or something (another reason, along with weather and watersports for a waterproof device!)

I can't get over iFi managing to cram a 4.4 into this tiny box, it's gonna require a custom cable/s though, another expense to add to an already high price.
I'm really on the fence re' this one as I'd have to sell the 5K (and cables) to finance it and that's a tough call.
I love the BTR5 and the Qudelix and agree with you about the Qudelix app. It's great, but personally find myself using only a fraction of what it offers (mostly just the in app volume settings and controls for calls Vs other audio). However in building quality, whilst the Qudelix seems cheaper, it's proved more durable than my btr5 which now has chipped glass from one drop.

But the Go blu build looks great. The volume knob looks great, but how effective is it at not being pressed or turned while in pocket and on the go (a problem I always have with my Shanling Q1)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back