If you were to make a torture tape...
May 10, 2002 at 4:51 PM Post #46 of 79
I'm surprised nobody added any 20th century "classical" music to the list. I mean those particular pieces that go on forever and somehow succeed to avoid ever having just a single chord, just a couple of tones in consonant order. You know, that music that sounds like randomly generated notes except that it is not random as consonance shows absolutely never, against all odds.
It is not natural. I literally get headaches after half an hour at most. This of course doesn't cover all 20th century classical by a long shot - many of which I like very much, even when it has dissonances.

On other note, I'm quite surprised that Madonna was put on the list. While I don't listen to pop at all, I was under the impression that Madonna was one of the most respected figures in music business and it is one of very few such persons I myself would call an artist. I believe she's (or was) quite original.

May 10, 2002 at 5:55 PM Post #47 of 79
aos, what composers are you talking about specifically? while i agree that a lot of the reich/glass stuff that sounds like that usually turns a lot of people off, the vocal phase pieces were a really revolutionary technique at the time, and actually have some really interesting qualities to them. for example, they sound completely different depending on how close you are to the speakers, sort of like looking at a painting

as far as the instrumental phase pieces go, if you listen to these really closely, they are very interesting just in terms of the patterns made when the different parts overlap

as to the topic of this thread, just take a tape and record a modern rock/rap/pop station for the length of it, oh wait no, ive got one: [size=small]BELLE AND SEBASTIAN[/size] ANYTHING by them makes me want to kill myself, them and countless other whiny indie rock losers

oh and lets not forget Joni Mitchell

May 10, 2002 at 6:23 PM Post #48 of 79
my tourture tape consisted of the following:

The person's favorite song @ -15dB (so they had to turn it way up) with the sound a ballon makes when rubbed against your head @ 0dB somewhere in the middle. That person never tried to mooch a burnt cd off me again.

May 11, 2002 at 5:53 AM Post #49 of 79
B0000026QV.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

May 11, 2002 at 6:39 AM Post #50 of 79
mrselfdestruct, luckily, I cannot name any of those composers, as I haven't been trying to listen such music for 10 years. While I grew more accustomed to music of that sort and I can certainly listen and even love pieces by, say, Honegger or Prokofiev, or a few things from Bartok or Shostakovich, there are things I will never learn to love. These days anything passes for a painting or a music as long as there's a method behind it.

May 14, 2002 at 3:15 PM Post #52 of 79
Miss Cvnting Kitten and the Hacker

White gospel music (the rubber bladder of piety)

90s Country MOR (the drool-cup of cud-pokes), sung by people with names like Bonita Lilarla

Gravel-voiced post-rock bands that want to be sensitive but end every phrase like Metallica ("I . . . feel-uhhhhhhhhhh . . . . . . .")

Mindlessly ironic singer-songwriters with lyrics that pass for clever but could easily be used in a commercial for Claritin

Dour Blurry Nordic Bands in White-Face Holding ****ing Flowers

Belle and Sebastian (their ooh-la-la tootings nearly destroyed my ability to focus on Todd Solenz's otherwise decent movie, _Storytelling_)

Jam own it! Jam own it! Jam own it! Jam own it! Jam own it! Jam own it! Jam own it! Jam own it! Jam own it! Jam own it! Jam own it! Jam own it! CHRIST ON A CRUTCH, PLEASE STOP AND DIE IMMEDIATELY! IMPALE YOURSELF ON MARMADUKE'S ARTIFICIAL LEG, WHY DON'T YOU -- ONLY SUTURE YOUR SPLIFF-CHUTE, FOR THE LOVE OF SAINT IMINGA FLASPENARD!

Post-rock grrrrrrrrrrrl bands with cute instruments like tubas and flugelhorns

French Latin Lounge Versions of 60s Protest Songs ("Zee anzer-r-r-r, mah fwien, zee'z blowin' in zee wen'. . . .")

Neo-80s bands like Soviet, who live to sound like out-takes from Depeche Mode and the Young Marble Giants

May 15, 2002 at 4:47 PM Post #53 of 79
I can't believe Guns 'N Roses actually got votes. And you know you like Bon Jovi's "Living on a Prayer." I mean, who are you people?

So what'd I put on there? How 'bout some Peabo Bryson. Radiohead. David Bowie -- I mean, okay, good songwriter, but, please, someone cut out his vocal cords.

kerelybonto

Oct 19, 2002 at 5:47 PM Post #54 of 79
That's RIGHT! I sound WAY, WAY, WAAAAAAY worse in singing/performing than all of those "craptastic pop-tarts" combined!

That's it, Nick Dangerous, but you can completely annihilate me from the ranks of Head-Fi with a thermonuclear blast!
tongue.gif

Oct 19, 2002 at 9:56 PM Post #55 of 79
Don Johnson, umm.. MegaDeth (especially doing a capela -- can't stand Musthane's voice), Randy Travis. A real torture tape would be getting a really fly super-DJ to mix them all together into a medly.

Oct 19, 2002 at 10:20 PM Post #56 of 79
Would I merely mix some CD's?

Heck no!

Assuming I'm the one doing the torturing, and Fiddler is the victim:

I would have a Tippett string concerto, with one twist. Everyone to play on Zeta MIDI violin/viola/cellos with only one sample used for all instruments (at the correct relative pitch): A human scream.

(Alternatively that rather disturbing moan that you got with one of the factory cartridges on the old Ensoniq VFX wavetable synth)

The rendition to be played back to you from a wallful of Cerwin-Vegas.

Oct 20, 2002 at 12:47 AM Post #59 of 79
The Koyaanisquatsi soundtrack... at least certain parts. Don't get me wrong... they're a couple of pieces on it I like.

Oct 20, 2002 at 3:42 AM Post #60 of 79
The Barney the Dinosaur Song

I love you
you love me
we're a happy...... oh $#@& it's hurting my head already just thinking about it.

Get that song on mp3 and set it to repeat mode, and it'll turn your brain to mush in no time at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back