If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 23, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #2,988 of 19,249

ER4P + Westone Star Tips + DX50

I like using my pfe tips a lot too.  They give me close to, if not the identical sound quality with much more comfort.  I just tried them again today and they work really really really well.  They slide all the way in with practically no effort at all.  They are more comfortable, because they apply less pressure overall in the ear canal.  But they seal internally where it matters, so when you get them in fully they sound great.

In fact, I'm going to try using them alone for a while and see how it goes.  I can fit them as deep as the triple flange too, but I don't feel like I need to go as critically deep to get the same sound.

Oct 23, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #2,989 of 19,249
^ I should try mine. My PFE's have been sitting with a broken cable for a year or more now, so I may as well make use of the tips. 

Oct 23, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #2,990 of 19,249
  ^ I should try mine. My PFE's have been sitting with a broken cable for a year or more now, so I may as well make use of the tips. 

Bah.  Did you have the first generation?  I know they had a cable problem they fixed in v2.

On another note... I've got the pfe112 sounding even closer to the er4s!  I still think the distortion or something is preventing the identical quality.  The er4s just wins there, period.  However, I've sort of been having fun trying to replicate the flatness of the er4s with the pfe112.  It's the closest thing to the er4s stock that I've heard, and with some eq the treble really opens up and sounds similar to the er4s.  However, there is just a lack of that true er4s depth and smoothness.  It does however have very nice dimensional sound and body.

Anyhow, it's a testament to the er4s that I'm trying to get another iem to sound like it. ha.  I'll post my final eqs in a bit.  I am really just tweaking them to ridiculous levels, but I don't think the two earphones could sound any better.  The er4s eq just nudges that last bit of quality out.  The pfe112 eq really opens the treble up and removes 90% of the muffle it has with no eq.

I think someone with the pfe112 would have a huge increase in enjoyment using this eq.  And it would give you a general idea of what the treble of the er4s sounds like.  Although it's not identical, it shifts the treble close to that impressive flatness and if you like that you'll love taking the next step and upgrading to the er4s.  I'm extremely glad I got the pfe, because it indeed was a gateway drug for me.  I probably would have never tried the er4s if I hadn't got used to the relative flatness of the pfe and started to prefer it over everything else.

The pfe just removed everything bad about every iem.  It isn't perfect, and has a few very small flaws, such as a slightly masked treble with a very small upper treble rasp.  But that doesn't matter.  Compared to every other iem I had ever had, the bass bloat was removed, the mid bass bloat removed, the treble comparatively was much smoother and more revealing and they just opened up the sound a lot compared to everything else.  After originally hearing the hf5 and hating the comfort of the tips, I decided maybe it was worth the risk to try the er4s.  Using accudio, although it isn't 100% accurate, I was able to hear more closely how the er4s sounds, because with an earphone like the pfe112 that has all the frequency response in good order, accudio is able to make a fairly accurate guess at another earphone's response.  So comparing the er4s setting and the stock pfe setting, the treble difference was just awesome.  Again, the pfe112 doesn't seem capable of true ety treble quality, but it showed me the direction I would be headed with the ety treble.

So I gave it a shot, and thank goodness it was the best audio risk I've ever taken.  More than I intended to spend originally, but I wouldn't take it back.  In fact, I'd probably have spent more if I knew how much i would end up liking them. (shhhhhh... don't tell etymotic that).  :p

Anyway, as usually I've started ranting off topic and about the pfe112.  ha.  But all for the benefit of the er4s, so it's justified.  :p  Both great earphones, but the more I try to eq them to perfection the more i like the er4s.  And it's so close without eq it's really impressive...

UPDATE:
Man i love king crimson's epitaph. :wink:

DOUBLE UPDATE (oh my gaaaawd):
After comparing the pfe112 and er4s directly (I have two identical devices side by side with the same music files simply switching earphones), I'm able to more clearly hear the differences now.  The eq'd frequency response is surprisingly VERY close on the pfe112 to the eq'd er4s, if not almost identical.  However, the difference is fairly noticeable that the pfe sounds a bit more rough or less smooth and deep.  It almost makes me think of sandpaper or something.  I'm exaggerating to make a point, but having the frequency response practically identical allows me to more easily hear the texture difference.  I don't know what to make of this other than distortion.  If it is in fact distortion than with the same eq is is absolutely audible and easy to differentiate.  If it isn't distortion than I don't know what it is other than not as smooth. :p

Anyway, I'll shut up now about them both.... maybe.  :wink:

TRIPLE UPDATE: (the rainbow guy would have a heart attack)
These small pfe tips are absolutely awesome with the er4s.  The quality is the same as the triple flange for me for sure, and the insertion time for me personally is cut by a third.  I can "almost" insert them as fast as the pfe.  They slide right in and then I just need to do the very slight push at the end to get that nice deep seal.  This is great, because i can compare other things faster now. :p

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #2,992 of 19,249
Pfe with qc control issue is V0, they fix the build quality of housing and cable in V1. So V2 non exist.

I know. And i almost specified that. I just meant "the second version" which is v1, but that in itself sounds confusing like saying "they fixed it in the first version"?!. They just started at version zero. ;-P

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #2,995 of 19,249
Wkwkwkwk, and V1 has a same problem too, the cable start to cracking after 1 year.
My ER4 cable more superior :D

I don't doubt the er4s cable is better... It is. But the v1 cable doesn't fail often according to audeo as well as a bunch of reviews i'v read, and my first hand experience. I've had my v1 about a year now, and i'm careful with it, but i'm not "super" careful with it. I also use it all the time; Probably more than most people. The cable shows absolutely no sign of wear for me...

But i'm probably even less careful with my er4s cable. Again, i'm careful with it, but i don't baby the cable. The more i started using it, the more i started being less super cautious with it. It just feels solid. Can't speak for the black version, but mine feels great. The only thing i'm cautious with on any cable, are the stress points where the cable parts connect. I don't wrap or coil cables tightly where the parts join. Otherwise, i feel like i can use the er4s with less worry than most cables. I have even put them in my pocket sometimes without any case.

Anyhow, if your pfe112 is a year old they will replace it for you. I would contact audeo.

Oct 24, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #2,996 of 19,249
Wildblue.. Are you saying that you prefer the p over the s?? Or is the p is what you have?

Yeah, I have the ER-4P, which has changed over the years in cable type and earpiece construction.  What I'm saying is that I prefer the construction of my original ER-4P's that I got back in 2002, which had a rubberized, non-braided cable, with earpieces that were entirely red and blue.  My current model ER-4P is all black, with only a red dot on one side of the right earpiece.  To me, it sounds the same as my original ER-4P, but I don't like the construction nearly as much.

I'm still looking for a good priced P-S adapter!!!!

Oct 24, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #2,997 of 19,249
Yeah, I have the ER-4P, which has changed over the years in cable type and earpiece construction.  What I'm saying is that I prefer the construction of my original ER-4P's that I got back in 2002, which had a rubberized, non-braided cable, with earpieces that were entirely red and blue.  My current model ER-4P is all black, with only a red dot on one side of the right earpiece.  To me, it sounds the same as my original ER-4P, but I don't like the construction nearly as much.

I'm still looking for a good priced P-S adapter!!!!
oh OK gotcha.. I actually sometimes like my p or my s.. I like rock n roll so I like that little extra bass I guess.. So ya I can say that maybe I do like the p over the s for most of what I'm listening to.... Maybe I'm crazy I don't know.. Just my opinion of course.. Plus you don't really need a amp with the s but it helps.. With the p ya don't need one at all.. Sometimes it's nice to be really portable ya know .. Anyways thanks for clearing that up.. Happy listening :)

Oct 24, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #2,999 of 19,249
Long time er4 user here. Has anyone else tried the ocharaku iems? I read about them on headfonia. Seem like a great area for exploration given I love the ety sound.

I've heard the SUI at length, and I'd say they're no where close to flat ala etymotic. They have more bass and a very large (about 10dB) treble peak. Honestly I thought they sounded terrible. I've heard the Kuro has even more treble.

Oct 24, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #3,000 of 19,249
I don't doubt the er4s cable is better... It is. But the v1 cable doesn't fail often according to audeo as well as a bunch of reviews i'v read, and my first hand experience. I've had my v1 about a year now, and i'm careful with it, but i'm not "super" careful with it. I also use it all the time; Probably more than most people. The cable shows absolutely no sign of wear for me...

But i'm probably even less careful with my er4s cable. Again, i'm careful with it, but i don't baby the cable. The more i started using it, the more i started being less super cautious with it. It just feels solid. Can't speak for the black version, but mine feels great. The only thing i'm cautious with on any cable, are the stress points where the cable parts connect. I don't wrap or coil cables tightly where the parts join. Otherwise, i feel like i can use the er4s with less worry than most cables. I have even put them in my pocket sometimes without any case.

Anyhow, if your pfe112 is a year old they will replace it for you. I would contact audeo.

Nope, its not covered by warranty anymore, so I open the housing (its easy) and plan to recable. Now purchase some goldplated cable :D for my PFE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back