If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 24, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #3,001 of 19,251
I don't doubt the er4s cable is better... It is. But the v1 cable doesn't fail often according to audeo as well as a bunch of reviews i'v read, and my first hand experience. I've had my v1 about a year now, and i'm careful with it, but i'm not "super" careful with it. I also use it all the time; Probably more than most people. The cable shows absolutely no sign of wear for me...

But i'm probably even less careful with my er4s cable. Again, i'm careful with it, but i don't baby the cable. The more i started using it, the more i started being less super cautious with it. It just feels solid. Can't speak for the black version, but mine feels great. The only thing i'm cautious with on any cable, are the stress points where the cable parts connect. I don't wrap or coil cables tightly where the parts join. Otherwise, i feel like i can use the er4s with less worry than most cables. I have even put them in my pocket sometimes without any case.

Anyhow, if your pfe112 is a year old they will replace it for you. I would contact audeo.

Nope, its not covered by warranty anymore, so I open the housing (its easy) and plan to recable. Now purchase some goldplated cable :D for my PFE.

Have you actually contacted them? It is covered under warranty if the cable cracked and you didn't abuse it. For two years anyway.

http://www.phonak.com/com/b2c/en/support/support/audeo_pfe.html

I know some people have had the same type of issue and got theirs replaced. Audeo said they are continuing to provide warranty service for the remainder of everyone's term, even though they stopped selling pfe's. I would call them. If you have already, call again and ask for a manager and make it happen. :p

Oct 25, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #3,002 of 19,251
Have you actually contacted them? It is covered under warranty if the cable cracked and you didn't abuse it. For two years anyway.

http://www.phonak.com/com/b2c/en/support/support/audeo_pfe.html

I know some people have had the same type of issue and got theirs replaced. Audeo said they are continuing to provide warranty service for the remainder of everyone's term, even though they stopped selling pfe's. I would call them. If you have already, call again and ask for a manager and make it happen. :p

Haha, thanks for the suggestion, but already open it :p

Oct 25, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #3,004 of 19,251
I really need to find the ciem equivalent to the ER-4S. I've tried many tips and none sound as good as the gray trips but my ears grow tired of them after about an hour. That seems to be my limit before they start to itch and the pressure on my canals becomes to annoying to enjoy. :frowning2:

Oct 25, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #3,005 of 19,251
I really need to find the ciem equivalent to the ER-4S. I've tried many tips and none sound as good as the gray trips but my ears grow tired of them after about an hour. That seems to be my limit before they start to itch and the pressure on my canals becomes to annoying to enjoy.
frown.gif

Have you tried slightly smaller triple flange tips? Etymotic sells many different sizes of them.

Oct 25, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #3,007 of 19,251
Yes and klipsch doubles too. The seal just isn't quite as good.

Hmm... have you tried cutting off the smallest flange, making it a double. That might bring the best of both worlds. Good luck on your endeavor, I'm out of ideas lol.

Oct 25, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #3,009 of 19,251
I haven't tried that. I'll have to see if I have an extra set of gray trips.

+1

Cutting off the smallest flange was necessary for me. If you find the grays to be slightly too big (hence uncomfortable), and the klipsch biflanges to be slightly too small, then I highly recommend these tips from amazon. They're just slightly smaller than the grays, and are a bit more pliable. They definitely turned the ER4S into a very comfortable iem for me.

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #3,011 of 19,251
Another possibility is to use the stem from the black/grey foam tips that are provided with the Ety's and place it inside a double flanger or any tips that comfort wise works for anyone's individual sized ear canal. 

Maybe cut a few mm of its length so matches to the length of the individual ear canal and doesn't bounce against the eardrum but gets as close as possible without feeling uncomfortable. I don't know if it works, I'm purely guessing but also believe that it is somewhat important to retain a certain (whatever that is) distance from the driver to the eardrum to maintain their optimal sound performance. Of course a full/correct seal and comfort are just as important as well, which kind of makes it complicated ( to any given and very individual ear(s)) or not to reach their full potential :wink:

Oct 26, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #3,012 of 19,251
Thanks- Ordered.

One last thing: for optimal fit I had to cut the base of the tip so the end of the tip would sit flush with the end of the barrel. I think this is necessary for me because the barrel acts as a solid core allowing the tip to go securely past the second bend. Of course YMMV.

Oct 26, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #3,014 of 19,251

I really need to find the ciem equivalent to the ER-4S. I've tried many tips and none sound as good as the gray trips but my ears grow tired of them after about an hour. That seems to be my limit before they start to itch and the pressure on my canals becomes to annoying to enjoy.
frown.gif

C'mon SGS.. I've only had them for a couple of day (they're awesome).. and all the cool kids are doing it.

wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back