If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 26, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #3,016 of 19,249
  C'mon SGS.. I've only had them for a couple of day (they're awesome).. and all the cool kids are doing it.
wink_face.gif

Ah, the perils of peer pressure... >10k is definitely elevated over the 4S, though, and IIRC SGS didn't like that (I find it tough to listen to bad tracks with it over time as well).
Also, less 2.5-3k emphasis than the 4S, but I don't think SGS would mind. What's most important --- less THD+N between 1-5k.

For the 4S, the CTM CT-100, CanalWorks CW-L01, CW-L05QD are the three CIEM models most like the ER4S to my ears (same/similar design principles). CustomArt Pro210 will probably sound like it too, but I haven't heard it.

Oct 26, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #3,017 of 19,249

Ah, the perils of peer pressure... >10k is definitely elevated over the 4S, though, and IIRC SGS didn't like that (I find it tough to listen to bad tracks with it over time as well).
Also, less 2.5-3k emphasis than the 4S, but I don't think SGS would mind. What's most important --- less THD+N between 1-5k.

For the 4S, the CTM CT-100, CanalWorks CW-L01, CW-L05QD are the three CIEM models most like the ER4S to my ears (same/similar design principles). CustomArt Pro210 will probably sound like it too, but I haven't heard it.

Yeah the UERM universal I heard was too bright to say it has an ER-4S sound.  It's a nice analytical FR but that's not what I'm looking for.  From what I gather the Hidition nt6 would also be too bright for me.

So far my list consists of the Custom Art Music One, which I understand to be a little warmer with more bass decay and those Canalworks models, which I understand to sound a little bit edgier in treble with more sparkle but similar dips around 10k.  I haven't considered the Custom Art Pro210, Piotr didn't mention that one to me and I'll need to read up on the CTM CT-100.

Oct 26, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #3,018 of 19,249
Perhaps you could remove the drivers from the ER4S like audiofreakie did (http://www.head-fi.org/t/538615/if-you-still-love-etymotic-er4-this-is-the-thread-for-you/3000#post_9919907) and get a company like Unique Melody to remold it into a custom shell. I once emailed Unique Melody asking if they could remold for me and they said that can't because they don't know how to remove the drivers. But if you can remove the drivers yourself then I don't see a reason for Unique Melody to refuse.

Oct 27, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #3,019 of 19,249
Not sure if its been mentioned, but why not Ety's custom tips? I've heard mixed reviews on them, but I'm leaning towards getting custom also. Its really hard to get a consistent seal with any of the universal tips without effort or pain.

Oct 27, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #3,020 of 19,249
For many, it's the risk of changing the sound frequency response from its intended specs.  This is the reason I have not gone the Ety custom tips route and the results from Rins blog with his custom tips sways on the side that the sound will change for the worse.  I have contacted Etymnotic in the past regarding their custom tips and they will even say there's no guarantee that the original sound response is preserved, only that its main selling point is consistent comfort for many.  However, the price is good for $100 you get the custom tips which includes the audiologist appointment and ear molds.  I've also been told by Etymotic that the custom tips are exchangeable with the ER4 and HF series only. 

I'm still in search of a good ER4S replacement in a custom application.  I think I'm going to go with the Lear LCM-5 ciem and adapters as I will be in HK over the holidays.

Oct 27, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #3,021 of 19,249
  Not sure if its been mentioned, but why not Ety's custom tips? I've heard mixed reviews on them, but I'm leaning towards getting custom also. Its really hard to get a consistent seal with any of the universal tips without effort or pain.

If keeping the etymotic's flat awesome sound is important to you do NOT get the custom tips through their program.  It WILL change the sound.  How much someone care's is another story.  For me it exaggerates the treble greatly and I lose all the reference quality of the er4s.  I'm on my fourth retry and second remold.

Rin has the exact same story with measurements even on his website.  This is essentially what happened with mine:

http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2013/05/etymotic-research-customfit-ear-sleeves.html

However, with the last iteration they managed to get the housing deeper into the mold and therefore closer to my eardrum.  But the difference is minimal at best.  They are still far from the original sound.  Are they more comfortable?  I suppose.  They don't dig deep into your ears like the ety, but I don't find them amazing either.  They just sort of feel like most earphones but bigger.  I prefer the pfe112 for comfort over anything I've ever tried.  Oh well.

If you absolutely can't stand the ety tips then perhaps this would give you a similar enough sound with better comfort.  However, it will be different.  So if the sound is critical, and you don't want the comfort issues, I'd switch earphones before I used the customs.  I'd rather use my earpods with no eq than my er4s with customs.  No joke.  They're too bright and peaky.  They also don't seal as well as the er4s.  And I don't really believe people who say they do.  I think they weren't getting a proper fit to begin with.  The ety can achieve 30-40db of isolation. I think this is partly due to the depth and the way the tips and housing seal.  The silicon customs change this and reduce the isolation.  They aren't bad, but not as good.

I would say the only reason to ever get them is comfort, but for me personally the sound is different enough that I'd rather use another earphone.  I always talk about the pfe112 if you follow this thread and I'd MUCH rather take the small amount of distortion compared to the ety custom sound.  But that's me.  I have heard a few success stories, but more failures.  And of the success stories how do we know they didn't prefer the bright sound just like some people prefer bassy sound?  Who knows.

Just be aware they will sound different.  I think etymotic doesn't want to dissuade anyone from using the customs, and that is understandable, so they just say they could change the sound but can't guarantee anything.  They don't want to say "yeah, it will definitely change the sound".  No one would buy them.  But if they say "no they sound exactly the same" a lot of people would be even more mad.

If the money isn't too much, i guess that's your call as to how important the comfort it.  But I wouldn't do it again.  Maybe from someone like westone or something, as i've seen fuller deeper customs that might help, but that would be it.

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #3,022 of 19,249
Awesome session last night with ER4S / Studio V listening to Andrea Bocelli. I would prefer a little more colour in the mid range as both Studio and Ety can sound a little sterile together, but the vocals, those vocals and power output from the Studio just extend so deep in your ears, outstanding weight behind the paino as each key hits. Listening in the dark sends shivers down your spine.

ER4S lovers really should be checking out his Romanza album. 

Oct 28, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #3,023 of 19,249

I've heard Custom Art Pro210 and for me they sound similar to Etys - they have quick, punchy and analytical type of sound.

For some, Cosmic Ears BA4r is very close to Etys, but for me this is not so obvious - they have something in common but Cosmic Ears have much more fuller sound and does not have this treble spike around 6-10 kHz.

Oct 28, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #3,024 of 19,249

I have custom tips made by Peter from the Custom Art and I'm like them a lot. The ony reason why I decided to go for them was a desire to have a good seal all the time (which I losed ocassionally on the small Etys triples).

Of course there are some differences between the sound of Etys on the small triples and on the custom tips, but for me they are very tiny. Please find attached the measurement made by Peter of my Etys on both the small triples and the custom tips.

Oct 28, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #3,026 of 19,249
Purely from the graphs perspective the difference is hughe but when it comes to the listening experience I would not say that the difference is hughe, for me its tiny. I don't hear any sibiliance.

Oct 28, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #3,027 of 19,249
Thanks for the feedback Luisdent and others - it looks like I'll be living with the Shure Olives. They aren't perfect, but I don't want to change the sound at all. 

Oct 28, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #3,028 of 19,249
Purely from the graphs perspective the difference is hughe but when it comes to the listening experience I would not say that the difference is hughe, for me its tiny. I don't hear any sibiliance.

This seems to vary between people.  That graphed difference would definitely be huge for me based on my graph listening experience.  However, I have very good hearing and I'm very particular about my sound.  But then aren't most people who buy the er4s? :wink:

I make 1db changes with eq and hear a noticeable difference if there are a few here and there (such as my "flat er4s" eq setting I posted).  Others simply might not be as sensitive to the changes.  I'm not sure.  But for me that would be too much change by far.  I wouldn't take half of that boost.  If things were 1 to 2db here or there, but the comfort was a million times better, sure that might work.  But that isn't the case to my ears personally.  But if you don't mind it, by all means enjoy your er4s with custom tips. :)

You can put the filters in the end of the tips rather than in the earphone to change the sound.  I say "change" and not "improve", because while it does lower some of the treble spiking, it also cuts out a lot of treble.  So you need to choose where you want the loss of quality.  But if someone had bad high frequency hearing that might be a better option.

Oct 28, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #3,029 of 19,249
I meant to say that I'm making a series of er4s reviews/tutorials on youtube.  I thought I'd ask if there was anything anyone wanted to see in the reviews?  Any specifics you want me to cover, etc.?  Just curious...  So far I have a filter changing tutorial posted already ( www.youtube.com/user/dentreviews ).  I'll be adding a sort of general review, a detailed review of the sound quality/signature and a tutorial on tips and fitting of the er4s.  Just let me know...

Oct 29, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #3,030 of 19,249
This seems to vary between people.  That graphed difference would definitely be huge for me based on my graph listening experience.  However, I have very good hearing and I'm very particular about my sound.  But then aren't most people who buy the er4s? :wink:

I make 1db changes with eq and hear a noticeable difference if there are a few here and there (such as my "flat er4s" eq setting I posted).  Others simply might not be as sensitive to the changes.  I'm not sure.  But for me that would be too much change by far.  I wouldn't take half of that boost.  If things were 1 to 2db here or there, but the comfort was a million times better, sure that might work.  But that isn't the case to my ears personally.  But if you don't mind it, by all means enjoy your er4s with custom tips. :)

You can put the filters in the end of the tips rather than in the earphone to change the sound.  I say "change" and not "improve", because while it does lower some of the treble spiking, it also cuts out a lot of treble.  So you need to choose where you want the loss of quality.  But if someone had bad high frequency hearing that might be a better option.

lusident, I don't have any high frequency hearing problems; this was tested about two months ago at my local audiologist.

As I said I decided to buy the custom tips only due to the seal issues - I wanted to have a constant seal and not the seal which can be easily altered for example while moving my mouth or head.

I must admit that I did not have a time to compare one to one Etys on triple and Etys on the custom tips but my first impressions on the custom tips (once I received them) was that the sound is different but it is not night and day. Of course I based my first impressions on my memory so maybe once I do the one to one comparison I will have the same impressions as yours i.e. that the peaks in the treble are hughe.

Generally I see that a lot of people actually alter the original sound of Etys on the green filters for example by using the red flters or any others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back