If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 21, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #2,971 of 19,205
  Where did you buy those? And if I may what was the cost?

I'm writing an article on hearing protection (OHSA/NIOSH rules, why it matters to audiophiles as well and not just construction workers, musicians, etc.) and reached out to DEC for resources (they make some really cool active attenuation devices; their founder also designed BAs for Sonion); they sent some earplugs with different filters (similar from the common Elacin ER-style filters) that different NRR ratings, as well as the DS-11.

Just a few weeks ago, I could've sworn there were more buying options (such as from their own website), but they seem to have taken away the store listing. I did find an Amazon listing, but the price seems a bit high.

The ACS T15 is also difficult to find this side of the pond, which is perhaps why it quickly became a forgotten commodity within the head-fi carousel. The problem with DEC is like other hearing protection and/or hearing aid companies --- they have trouble appealing to consumers and marketing accordingly.

At this point, even without a direct A/B, I think the ER4 is still the superior choice when it comes to getting that "target response" that so many Ety-heads look for. However, this thing is a nice alternative to it, for people who want just a little more bass depth and a different feel for ergonomics.

Oct 21, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #2,972 of 19,205
I was thinking a headphone wire the same as it currently is with that black splitter in the middle but with a mini pot inside it where you can slide the thing between 4p and 4s responses and sensitivity.

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #2,973 of 19,205
I was thinking a headphone wire the same as it currently is with that black splitter in the middle but with a mini pot inside it where you can slide the thing between 4p and 4s responses and sensitivity.

That might be cool, but the er4s is driven well enough on most devices there really isn't "much" need for the p sensitivity. I think most s users would never use the p setting. I sure wouldn't. I'd use the s straight up from the portable or get an amp. If you really need two options, the p with s adapter is the way to go...

Any switch or potentiometer would add a huge point of failure. I wouldn't want that type of component personally. And they'd probably have more repairs, and you'd hear less people saying "i've had my er4 for 10 years."

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #2,974 of 19,205
I have p version with awwan's P to S adapter and if I would to choose once again I would buy s version right away. The adapter is not good for portable use mainly due to the fact that it does not sit as tight as headphones' jack and so any movement of the adapter causes some audible disruptions.

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #2,975 of 19,205
Having the slider option might negate the need for using different filters to suit the prevailing music/mood?

I understand the adapter and filter work at either end of the BA, but I can't help noticing the resemblance in how and where the FR gets shifted.

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #2,976 of 19,205
I have p version with awwan's P to S adapter and if I would to choose once again I would buy s version right away. The adapter is not good for portable use mainly due to the fact that it does not sit as tight as headphones' jack and so any movement of the adapter causes some audible disruptions.

That's unfortunate mate. A week ago, someone posted a link from Ebay for the original Ety P-S adapter at the same price. I'm using one and it fits perfect. You might want to check it out.

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #2,977 of 19,205
That's unfortunate mate. A week ago, someone posted a link from Ebay for the original Ety P-S adapter at the same price. I'm using one and it fits perfect. You might want to check it out.

When I was buying awwan's adapter I have seen this original adapter but at that moment the total cost of this original adapter (with the costs of shipping to Poland) was around USD 50 (total cost for awwan's adapter was USD 18 due to free shipping).

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #2,978 of 19,205
When I was buying awwan's adapter I have seen this original adapter but at that moment the total cost of this original adapter (with the costs of shipping to Poland) was around USD 50 (total cost for awwan's adapter was USD 18 due to free shipping).

Craps, I didn't realise you're in Europe.
confused_face.gif

For $50, you're better off buying direct from the ER online store. It's $49 + $2 shipping fee for international orders.

Oct 21, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #2,979 of 19,205

That's not normal.  The standard ety adapter fits the same as the earphone adapter.

Having the slider option might negate the need for using different filters to suit the prevailing music/mood?

I understand the adapter and filter work at either end of the BA, but I can't help noticing the resemblance in how and where the FR gets shifted.

It seems like they would have a similar effect, but perhaps not identical.  The filters don't reduce the entire treble region, just some slight humps, which ends up being a good thing.  The resistor, as far as I can tell, reduced the whole treble region.  So while you might want to change filters to adjust the treble, I personally wouldn't ever reduce the whole treble region.  But I'd like to see more graphs on the differences.

I can tell you this though.  With no eq ever, I'd use the red filters hands down.  With a little eq, the green filters with the s version are mind blowing.  The most transparent, flawless IEM i've ever heard.  No bass problems, perfectly smooth treble and openness.  I choose green filters with eq now personally and probably won't ever change unless I decide not to use eq again, which would make me switch back to reds.  But I say eq with green filters is superior to red with no eq easily...

Oct 21, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #2,980 of 19,205
If you reread my post, I specifically said I do not want to use the DX50 solely as a transport, but want to use the DX50's internal DAC to feed an external amp.

Many thanks for your comment however; I think I will give the DX50 a month or two before deciding whether to purchase a new external amp.
So the dx50 is worth buying in your opinion ? I have a nice amp now and I'm looking for a nice dac to go with it now..so it might be in my better interest to go with a nice dap with a half decent dac in it then to just buy a dac..probably be cheaper for me that way too ..thanks

Oct 21, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #2,981 of 19,205

Can't you get Matez to make you a cable? I know FAW has been working on ER4 cables.

Oct 21, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #2,982 of 19,205
I discussed this with Matez and we came to the conclusion that since er4 cable is of very good quality there is no need to change it. But at that time I wanted to change it due to the lack of shirt clip to the Etys cable. But now I have the clip so the original cable does not bother me anymore from that perspective. However, from the perspective of the adapter it's a good point Tom, thank you; I will reconsider replacing the cable so that I don't have to use the adapter.

Oct 22, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #2,983 of 19,205

Every now and again I feel the need to reassert my love for the diminutive but mighty ER4S!

No other audio purchase (apart form music of course) has given me such a consistent source of listening pleasure; nor have been as physically durable as Etymotic's early masterpiece!

Mine are 11 years old and still blowing my mind!

etysmile.gif

Oct 23, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #2,985 of 19,205
I bought "S " adapters from awwan  e-bay store that fit on to the end of the Ety Drivers then you can use aftermarket cables.
I found they stick out too far....damnn...I just want an S cable, but that involves shipping it to Etymotic blah blah.....weeks months etc...
Has anyone got an S cable for sale?????? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back