If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jun 28, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #1,891 of 19,253
I'd be interested to know how those tips turn out. I was also thinking of changing tips recently. The stock grey triflanges (modded to biflange) lose their suppleness over time and don't keep a seal quite as well I'm finding. 

Has anyone cut the stock ety foams for a deeper fit?

Edit: Just tried the stock ety foams and they're too wide to fit into my ear canal past the second bend. :/
I find after the tri stock tips get worn in and used for a while they soften up I guess and kinda loose detail a bit..once I put new ones in it all comes back..the treble..the detail..everything..when I use complys I find the suck up all the treble and detail..the stock foam tips are ok but don't sound as good as the trI tips do..I have no problem getting a good seal and maintaining it with the tri tips..I find if I moisten them too much it's harder to get a proper seal..I've got it down to a science I think..took some pain saken time lol but it was well worth it :) I think people just need to experiment and be patient and they will get the hang of it..:)

Jun 28, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #1,892 of 19,253
Ok after a lot of researching, i am still not sure about the best portable set up for the ER4s.

What i really want to do is have the most neutral sound, but with the option to boost the bass when needed, as i listen to lots of EDM too.
What i've narrowed it down to so far:

Keeping my hifiman hm-801 (Currently for sale. Sounds really great but no bass boost)
Ipod touch to Arrow 4G/T
Ipod touch with Accudio to JDS labs C5
Something else..?

I wish i could hear all this stuff before deciding!-It makes it so hard to know which might sound the best.

Anyone have any ideas?

Jun 28, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #1,893 of 19,253
E
Ok after a lot of researching, i am still not sure about the best portable set up for the ER4s.

What i really want to do is have the most neutral sound, but with the option to boost the bass when needed, as i listen to lots of EDM too.
What i've narrowed it down to so far:

Keeping my hifiman hm-801 (Currently for sale. Sounds really great but no bass boost)
Ipod touch to Arrow 4G/T
Ipod touch with Accudio to JDS labs C5
Something else..?

I wish i could hear all this stuff before deciding!-It makes it so hard to know which might sound the best.

Anyone have any ideas?

End of story. Er4s, jds c5. Period.

C5 is the highest quality, most neutral amp for the price and then some... Look at clieos' reviews of the jds amps. He puts them at the top, near the objective 2 amp. I agree.

The bass boost is enough to pump out edm no problem. It isn't too much to affect the rest of the frequencies, but hits nice and deep. It's more than neutral with the er4s, but as you say you want a boost for edm, i think it would work very well giving you excellent slighty boosted bass while retaining what is so good about the er4s.

With the boost off you have a perfectly neutral amp with the c5. The er4s has slightly recessed sub bass, so i use a gentle sub bass eq or accudio. Accudio doesnt do much to the er4s other than bring the bass up to neutral. The c5 boost brings it up anothet 50-60% from that, so you get a good range of bass options. Accudio also allows you to add more bass.

That's the beauty of the er4s... Doesn't need much eq to sound flat. In fact, using accudio with most iems set to "hifi" actually makes them sound closer to the er4s but with more bass. :)

I vote strongly for c5. I wouldn't be without mine.

Jun 28, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #1,894 of 19,253
Thanks very much for that...
smile.gif
 Thats actually what i've been leaning towards recently, after trying out accudio..
Looks like that might be the one then!
Reading through the reviews of the arrow and the C5 makes it so hard to choose!
I'm sure they both sound great anyway,but the C5 is quite a bit cheaper too...

Jun 28, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #1,896 of 19,253
Quote:
Thanks very much for that...
smile.gif
 Thats actually what i've been leaning towards recently, after trying out accudio..
Looks like that might be the one then!
Reading through the reviews of the arrow and the C5 makes it so hard to choose!
I'm sure they both sound great anyway,but the C5 is quite a bit cheaper too...

I had a hard time too, but went with the C5.  Those are the only two amps I seriously considered.  I think the arrow has a better bass boost if you're going for perfect neutrality in the bass, as it is isolated a little bit lower down the spectrum and has multiple settings.  It has a treble setting too, but obviously that will never be used with the er4s :wink: :wink: haha  It has such perfect treble in my opinion.

However, from my pretty thorough research I found that the general consensus was that the C5 is more perfectly flat and neutral.  The arrow is supposedly a little "warmer" to most people.  This is just from my research.  I haven't heard the arrow amp.  But at much less cost and generally said to be better "reference" quality, I chose the C5.  I couldn't be happier.  But mind you, I do EQ my sub bass up a little to make it flat.

Funny enough, I actually decided to buy the ER4S, completely based off of accudio.  I think that shows how awesome accudio really is!  I was using the Westone 4r and found it too soft in the treble.  Simply too much mid bass.  I was using the accudio hifi setting which made the 4r sound phenomenal.  I tried it with my PFE112 and the results were the same.  Awesome.  Then I started thinking "why should I have a $500 IEM and use accudio when I can have a $150 IEM and get the same results with accudio?"  Then my thinking went further.  I wanted no accudio in case I wasn't' using an ipod.  ha.  Now, I've always wanted an IEM that is reference without needing EQ or any apps, because I mix on my computer with them, listen on the ipod, receiver, etc...  While I don't think that is completely possible thus far, the ER4S is the closest I've found.

I started using accudio to simulate earphones in an attempt to find the one that was closest to flat.  I kept coming back to the er4s simulation.  It sounded almost identical to the hifi setting but with a little less sub bass.  So I started only using that simulation setting to see if I could deal with the bass lacking a tad.  It turns out that I preferred the slightly lacking bass to any other IEM (without accudio) because the rest of the spectrum was so incredible.  That meant for $300 I could have an IEM that sounded excellent with accudio and almost just as excellent without it.  Ultimately, I've stopped using accudio (for various reasons) and started using the denon eq app and au labs eq on my mac for system wide eq.

I don't "need" it, but the extra sub bass makes it truly reference quality, and it's such a simple eq you can do it pretty much anywhere an eq is available.  And if an eq is not available, I know I'm happy enough with the sound to not "need" it.  No other IEM has fulfilled that requirement at all except perhaps the pfe112 in some ways.  I find I need absolutely no eq with the pfe112 for it to sound great, but the treble just isn't as good as the er4s, so in a way i still would "prefer" to eq it, or better yet use accudio, as fixing the treble with eq is more elaborate than a simple bass boost to fix the ER4S.

Anyway, back to the amps.  I chose c5 for overall quality and value.  With any decent eq, using a slight sub bass boost the ER4S can't be beat in my opinion.  While the arrow may give better bass options without the need for an eq (i can't guarantee this as I haven't heard it, but i've seen the graphs) you would still need an eq to restore the treble (if even possible depending on why it is considered "warm") that the amp lacks.  With the C5, the bass boost is excellent, but it does put it about twice or almost twice the amount that I would eq the bass to make it "perfect".  It also bleeds into the mid bass a tad.  I think a lot of people might actually like this.  But I'm going for utmost flatness personally.  It makes the ER4S easy to listen to and relaxing, but even extending the boost into the few hundred hertz range is too much for me personally, so I use the eq option.  That way you get the full quality of the amp.  But for people who like high quality deep bass it's excellent.

Make sure to grab some red filters too.  Maybe if enough people want to we can do a group buy?  And send some to the guy in the other country that wanted them too. :p  Just a thought.  Reds rock, thanks to gnarlsagan for letting me find this out. :)  Did I mention the C5 is cheaper? :wink: haha  And John over at jds labs will custom engrave your case.  That's pretty awesome.  Also, one last thing.  The C5 bass boost has a slightly difference inflection point at each gain level.  So you do have a "slightly" different option there is it suits you.  But it's a pretty small difference.

Lastly, I use the line out of my ipod and recommend it.  I did a lot of testing and can fairly easily hear an improvement in spaciousness and separation with the line out.  I started with a fiio cable, but I think they're junk.  My L-shape cable fell apart in a few weeks tops with very careful use.  I was able to get a deal on a BTG adapter and decided to try it.  It is four times the cost, but hopefully will save me from going through 4 more fiio cables.  I don't believe in any quality differences with the type/length of cable.  I just got it for the durability (hopefully it lasts).

So, ipod >> line out >> C5 >> ER4s = amazing.

Jun 29, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #1,898 of 19,253
Thanks so much for the answer Luisdent!-Thats great, really helpful.
I think you have confirmed the decision for me!-I like the way you describe the ER4 sound, i feel confident that the C5 will be ideal for me after hearing your experience.
I also like the price better than the arrow. I'm in the UK and can't find a UK seller, so it might work out closer priced to the arrow after delivery (i haven't checked that out yet!)-Will still be cheaper though.

Thanks again!-I will update once i get it....

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #1,899 of 19,253
Quote:
I have been looking for an all in one solution and cannot wait to receive the pico dac/amp. I'll let you know how it pairs after I receive it.

Thanks,that would be good. i haven't looked into that one much actually, i would be interested to hear how it sounds.
I'm selling my hifiman HM801 to be able to afford the stuff, so i've still got time to research.
I'm 99% decided on the C5 at the moment though tbh!....

Jul 1, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #1,900 of 19,253
Finally they are with me after 2 moths of separation. It takes me 20 second after putting them on as why after all these years I still kept them. They do treble just right.

Jul 1, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #1,901 of 19,253
I just lost mine in China
frown.gif
They're the MC5, not the "real thing", but still
frown.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 1, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #1,903 of 19,253
I just ordered a sansa fuze 2gb on eBay. They are brand new and factory sealed for 79.99, seems more expensive than I remember them a few years back however at least it isn't as much as the sellers on Amazon. I am just not sure if they are a v1 or v2, size wise it should pair with the pico dac/amp very well.

I received the er4s from BH photo and video today the box says it should come with 5 pair of foams however there were only 4 inside. The outside of the case and cardboard were sealed so I was wondering if there was a misprint. In the manual a photo actually only shows 4 instead of 5 as well.

I also would have thought that the build quality would be a little bit better. It appears that there is excess glue or something towards the back of the housings close to the cable, whee the housing is sealed to the back. The orientation of the housing also seems a bit off, however these were sealed and from an authorized dealer. So they must be brand new.

Jul 2, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #1,904 of 19,253
Reporting in to express further love for my Ety's this evening, laying down
listening to Maria Mena, loving life here. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back