If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jun 26, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #1,862 of 19,256
Quote:

Funny, but I actually read impressions from guys who heard them at meets, and they said they sounded like crap.

The impression I get harkens to mind the Futurama episode with the Neutral planet. "Grey Alert"

Jun 26, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #1,863 of 19,256
Quote:
The impression I get harkens to mind the Futurama episode with the Neutral planet. "Grey Alert"

*beige.  
wink_face.gif
tongue.gif

Jun 27, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #1,865 of 19,256
Quote:
Quote:
For me they have to go very deep, past the second bend to sound correct. Hopefully that works for you. Also the triflange I cut was the grey stock one, not white if that makes a difference.

Deeeeeeeeep.  Mine were the grey as well.  I even cut off the back (largest) flange on a pair and tried those.  They are much easier to get deeper for me, and I have an issue where the largest flanges get all warped because of my ear shape so they can cause sealing issues (why i use foams now).  But cutting the biggest flange off requires more care with insertion and has its own seal issues if you're not doing it carefully.  It didn't really improve anything though.

I could never get them deep enough.  In the end I resorted to EQ to cure the problem with the resonance caused by inadequate insertion and inadequate bass:

Thankfully Neutron on android can handle such a simple parametric EQ profile (it only has 2 peaking bands and 2 shelf bands) so that's what I've been using to play my music on the go.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 27, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #1,867 of 19,256
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57590458-47/with-the-cardas-em5813-in-ear-headphones-just-got-a-lot-better/

And two pages on headfi...todd r has a pair now but seems to be sitting on writing a review. 

Guttenberg? Eh... No thanks. His reviews are bit too spiritual for me. He says he likes it but can't give any actual reason aside from apologetics: "it's not as accurate and has more bass than the UE900 but..."

And more bass than the UE900? There is a 20dB difference between 3k and 500Hz on that iem.

Jun 27, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #1,868 of 19,256
Quote:
Guttenberg? Eh... No thanks. His reviews are bit too spiritual for me. He says he likes it but can't give any actual reason aside from apologetics: "it's not as accurate and has more bass than the UE900 but..."

And more bass than the UE900? There is a 20dB difference between 3k and 500Hz on that iem.

I don't always agree with his reviews.  But to each his own.

Jun 27, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #1,869 of 19,256
Quote:

I could never get them deep enough.  In the end I resorted to EQ to cure the problem with the resonance caused by inadequate insertion and inadequate bass:

Thankfully Neutron on android can handle such a simple parametric EQ profile (it only has 2 peaking bands and 2 shelf bands) so that's what I've been using to play my music on the go.

Wow, -10db at 7.8kz?  That seems drastic to me.  The bass seems reasonable, but also a tad high if you're going for complete accuracy (that might not be your taste).  But I realize it could be due to the insertion depth issues.  Have you tried any of my previous suggestions?

The thing that I find helps most is screwing them into your ears like, well, a screw.  Really spin them.  Not fast, but rotate them fully 360 degrees.  Once you start getting deep or hitting the wall of the ear canal there are two things to note.  First, pulling up on the earlobe, or better yet the bone under the earlobe, helps straighten the canal.  Second, your canal actually bends backwards typically, so as you hit resistance, continue to screw the earphone while pushing the earphone body forward, causing the nozzle to tilt backward a bit and also upward a tad.  If you're screwing them in calmly and wiggling the angle here and there to try and get it right they should go pretty deep.

I find the silicon go in deeper, but not as comfortable at first (you get used to it, really).  The foam goes in past the second bend for me and is easier and more comfortable, but the expansion makes it hard to get it much deeper comfortably for me.  But past the sound bend with the foam sounds as good as the deepest with the silicon for me.

I'll be making a video on this.  I figure I might as well do it anyway if it helps anyone.  I'll let you know when it's posted. :)

If you've done all of this already, then just disregard this message. :p

Jun 27, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #1,870 of 19,256
I just ordered a pair of er4s from Amazon. The seller is alexcious, however it is fulfilled and shipped by Amazon. Does this mean it is Amazom stock or that the seller shipped it to amazon?

Are there any fake er4s? If so what should I be looking for? Hopefully it comes in the USA package as opposed to Japan it should be easier to identify that way I would think if there are fakes.

Jun 27, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #1,871 of 19,256
Quote:
I just ordered a pair of er4s from Amazon. The seller is alexcious, however it is fulfilled and shipped by Amazon. Does this mean it is Amazom stock or that the seller shipped it to amazon?

Are there any fake er4s? If so what should I be looking for? Hopefully it comes in the USA package as opposed to Japan it should be easier to identify that way I would think if there are fakes.

I think I remember somewhere that you can check the serial with etymotic or something?  I don't "think" there are a lot of fake er4s.  I'm not sure what fulfilled means exactly to amazon, but I do know it usually means they take all of the support, returns, etc. if you have problems.  Usually.

Jun 27, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #1,872 of 19,256
Quote:

If its accuracy doesn't pierce your very soul then you'll know they're fake.

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #1,875 of 19,256
Loving your sig lol. 

Long live the Ety's, amazing people constantly.

I would feel inclined to say that pairing in my sig gives me the most professional or 'matured' sound from all my gear. :wink:

All I need is a silicone tip that can provide me a similar sound to foam so I'm not chewing through comply constantly. I have a few on order like these.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151063654329?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Users who are viewing this thread

Back