If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jul 2, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #1,906 of 19,253
Quote:
I just ordered a sansa fuze 2gb on eBay. They are brand new and factory sealed for 79.99, seems more expensive than I remember them a few years back however at least it isn't as much as the sellers on Amazon. I am just not sure if they are a v1 or v2, size wise it should pair with the pico dac/amp very well.

I received the er4s from BH photo and video today the box says it should come with 5 pair of foams however there were only 4 inside. The outside of the case and cardboard were sealed so I was wondering if there was a misprint. In the manual a photo actually only shows 4 instead of 5 as well.

I also would have thought that the build quality would be a little bit better. It appears that there is excess glue or something towards the back of the housings close to the cable, whee the housing is sealed to the back. The orientation of the housing also seems a bit off, however these were sealed and from an authorized dealer. So they must be brand new.

I've had a bunch of problems with items from BH Photo.  I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but I think they are like walmart in terms of getting items that didn't pass quality control tests or something.  I bought a pair of nikon binoculars the they eyepieces fell apart from poor glue.  I exchanged them for a pair of pentax and those had a problem as well, followed by a pair of bushnell and those had very poor barrel alignment.  I'm not talking optically, I'm talking the barrels weren't pointing the same direction.  Three in a row, three top brands.  Bought the bushnell from another site, amazon I think, and they were perfect.  So, perhaps it's possible this is the case with the er4s.  Just a theory.  I'm sure they must have good products too or they wouldn't be in business.  Perhaps an exchange if they're bad enough?

My er4s were direct from etymotic for $299.  They are flawless, durable, no visible glue anywhere.  Perfectly shaped, etc.  if there's no performance issues than I guess it's your call...

Jul 2, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #1,907 of 19,253
Quote:
About to board a 5 hour flight from Sydney to Perth with my ER4S. I'm excited to hear how well it will isolate the airplane noise.

Doesn't get much better.  The foam tips seated deeply isolate better than the 33db NRR foam plugs I use in our server room.  That's sick.

Jul 2, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #1,909 of 19,253
Quote:
Actually, it does get better. When I fly I wear a pair of Bose QC-2 ANR headphones on top of my IEMs. Its quieter than my room at night.
biggrin.gif

Haha.  When I use my pfe112 I actually put a pair of shooting ear protector muffs on.  Takes it down to the er4s level for a non er4s earphone. :p

Jul 2, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #1,913 of 19,253
Well if the next pair aren't any better I will just get a refund, if that is the case it will likely be an omen.

Hope it works out for you. I got my latest pair of er4s from Amazon Japan for below USD200 BNIB and built quality is top notch. I have only had bought lens and camera accessories from BHphoto and happy to report never had to RMA or had any issues.

Jul 2, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #1,914 of 19,253
Hope it works out for you. I got my latest pair of er4s from Amazon Japan for below USD200 BNIB and built quality is top notch. I have only had bought lens and camera accessories from BHphoto and happy to report never had to RMA or had any issues.

Was the box sealed? In English or Japanese? Which buyer did you buy from?

Jul 2, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #1,915 of 19,253
One set of tips arrived today which I ordered from eBay: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200914031755?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

They're decent quality / soft silicon, allows a little more comfort than the Ety triple flange (not as stiff), though what had me interested mostly about these tips is their larger bore which is similar to the diameter found on the foam tubing inside Ety foam tips. Isolation isn't as great as using foam but they sure do slide into the 2nd bend nicely, neatly for me without any fighting sealing well. Just not quite the same standard isolation as foam tips. Sure enough, as I suspected the sound is much more open due to the larger bore. I will continue to use these for the time being. I have one other set on their way and will report in when they arrive. Worth a try for those looking for a slightly different sound and possibly higher comfort levels over the Ety flanges..

Some pics:

And a bore comparison

Jul 3, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #1,916 of 19,253
Thanks for the report H20. So the treble is a bit more present? That'd be an interesting combo with the red filters. I wonder if those tips will hold up okay.

Jul 3, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #1,917 of 19,253
Thanks for the report H20. So the treble is a bit more present? That'd be an interesting combo with the red filters. I wonder if those tips will hold up okay.

These aren't the same tips I was showing you a few days ago, these were a second set (different). I will listen later this evening and give some thoughts on the sound, but one thing that struck me straight away was the imaging felt stronger, possibly a touch more width in the stage due to the Ety nozzle sitting back around the 2nd flange of the tip. I will check for treble changes later. They did achieve what I was looking for on the first listen though.

Jul 3, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #1,919 of 19,253
Was the box sealed? In English or Japanese? Which buyer did you buy from?

Sold by Amazon Japan themselves and not third party sellers on Amazon marketplace. Sealed and in English with a Japanese warranty card attached.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/B000300Y9O/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1372847774&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

Works out to under USD 150 but need to add $20 or so for the forwarding service of your choice to ship from Japan to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back