If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 27, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #692 of 19,246
Quote:
ER-4S.

You have an amp, so you'd go the ER-4S for the "blacker" noise floor and (IMO) very slightly better sound over the 4P.
The 4B has a slight boost to treble around the 10kHz region, but I can't see why you'd want that in a phone that's already revealing and treble-centric.

The PT is just a P with some useless bits and a higher pricetag.

Thanks!

Oct 27, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #696 of 19,246
Quote:
and you cable of choice is ?????

this guy sells adapters so you can use whatever cable you want (except the default one ofc)
http://www.ebay.com/sch/awwan/m.html?item=290630811020&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562
with this you can put the cable behind the ear and forget microphonics.
only drawback is if you put them really really deep then the 90° angle can be a problem.

Oct 27, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #697 of 19,246
Actually, that's something I forgot to mention - something that can improve microphonic isolation is to wrap the cable around the back of your ears, over to the front (opposite to most configs).

Whether or not that's comfortable for you might be different, but still :wink:

Nov 2, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #698 of 19,246
Anyone care to try these eq settings on an er4? Head-fier bias posted that link in the sound science forum. It calls for -5dB at 2.5kHz and -8dB at 7.5kHz to correct for both resonance and FR boost in the er4s. I'm trying this on the er-6 as I type this.

Edit (copied from SS forum): Initial impressions are that it sounds somehow flatter. I expected it to muffle the sound a lot more than it did, but the overall effect takes a bit of high frequency emphasis off of vocals and certain drums without impacting much else. I will experiment with more tracks, but so far it is a very impressive effect imo.

Nov 5, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #699 of 19,246
when i want an "easy listening er4" aka "don't hurt me when i push the volume a little"  i do lower around those frequencies, but -1 and -2. not -5 and -8
blink.gif

i tried for science and humanity, but it sounds very much like something i wouldn't want even for free.

Nov 5, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #700 of 19,246
when i want an "easy listening er4" aka "don't hurt me when i push the volume a little"  i do lower around those frequencies, but -1 and -2. not -5 and -8 :blink:

i tried for science and humanity, but it sounds very much like something i wouldn't want even for free.

Awesome thanks for sharing your impressions. The theory is that everyone's preferences will be different. I'm still messing with the eq and I suspect that -5 and -8 is a bit much for me too.

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #702 of 19,246
Quote:
That kind of notch cutting is a bit much. Human hearing is less sensitive to cuts compared to peaks, and that might be why this person decided to cut it so steeply.

Surprisingly less sensitive in my case. I mean definitely noticeable but not at all like adding dB. 

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #703 of 19,246
I need a dealer in the EU who has the original "BLACK FOAM TIPS". Ordering from Etymotic directly is too expensive. Their shipping rates to Europe are just way too much.

So far I had no luck with either http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/ or any of my local dealers in Denmark. Any suggestions? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back