If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Nov 10, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #722 of 19,252
I'm not good at quantitative / qualitative reviews, but I do know what sounds good to me.

I mentioned earlier I had abandoned my ETY 4S because they were no longer comfortable.

A month ago, after getting caught up - again - in the madness here, I decided to get an Arrow 4G, and found a local audiologist who fitted me with custom Sensaphonic molds.

W O W....

With the bass setting at 2, I am extremely happy. I've never been a big bass guy to start with, and I now have the perfect - for me - amount of bottom, while not losing the great midrange and highs of the ETY's.

Hard to believe these IEM's are 10 years old and still sound amazing.

Can I stop reading this forum now???? :)))

Nov 13, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #724 of 19,252
Quote:
A month ago, after getting caught up - again - in the madness here, I decided to get an Arrow 4G, and found a local audiologist who fitted me with custom Sensaphonic molds.

W O W....

With the bass setting at 2, I am extremely happy. I've never been a big bass guy to start with, and I now have the perfect - for me - amount of bottom, while not losing the great midrange and highs of the ETY's.

I had a similar experience with my ER-4S. I've had the Arrow 4G for a month or so and hadn't gotten around to trying it with the ER-4S, but when I did....BANG! Not only sweet punchy bass, but that clear cool Ety sound just blew me away. Lovin the ER-4 again.

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #725 of 19,252
A lot of people say the ER4S is bass light, and there are a few good reasons for this. One recently discussed is the issue of bone conductivity and "felt" bass from speakers that doesn't exist through headphones. Rin Choi talks seems to think it's a non-issue in his blog post here.

Another perhaps more pervasive issue affecting perceived bass response is loud listening. Apparently at levels over 75dB the ear engages an acoustic reflex that can reduce perceived bass levels by 20dB. It seems that anyone listening to loud music will prefer increased bass presence under these conditions. Tyll talks about it at about 42:26 in this episode of Home Theater Geeks.

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #726 of 19,252
I need help with the microphonic cable seriously .. I still can take it but it's really really annoying even though I use the clip ... 
Any cable recommendations ? 

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #727 of 19,252
Actually Rin goes with the 2011 study, kind of implying a small delay would be a good way to eliminate it.

Personally I think extension is missing on a lot of headphones/IEMs, both Rin and I actually do think the ER4S is missing bass (extension/subass), we only like to bump frequencies below 100hz though. 

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #728 of 19,252
Actually Rin goes with the 2011 study, kind of implying a small delay would be a good way to eliminate it.

Personally I think extension is missing on a lot of headphones/IEMs, both Rin and I actually do think the ER4S is missing bass (extension/subass), we only like to bump frequencies below 100hz though. 

Thanks for clarifying. I suppose a delay like this could be factored into an iem design? Otherwise does he concede that a mild bass boost is necessary? It seems like he says people can get over the effect with practice.

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #729 of 19,252
Thanks for clarifying. I suppose a delay like this could be factored into an iem design? Otherwise does he concede that a mild bass boost is necessary? It seems like he says people can get over the effect with practice.

Yup, surprisingly BOSE did a decent job at it though could be better. He concedes that the best bass bandwidth is optimal to help this phenomenon. Goes with below quote from Toole

The average bass extension - the low-cutoff frequency - progressively decreases as the fidelity rating increases. The listeners liked low bass - not more bass, in the sense that it is boosted, but bass extended to lower frequencies." F. Toole, "Sound Reproduction", Focal Press (2008).

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #730 of 19,252
Hi Anoxy.

Sorry, I've been a way a bit.

I wish I had a better answer for you, but I generally use this kit either sitting in a chair reading, or on a plane.

Microphonics is not a big issue for me.

Cheers.

Nov 25, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #732 of 19,252
The fact you can stand in front of a large subwoofer wearing the ER4S, not be able to hear the sub, but feel it, and whatever lack of sub bass you think the ER4S suffers goes away, makes me think the ER4S is flat and what you're experiencing is your difficulty in hearing sub bass rather than feeling it when just wearing them and not standing in front of sub.

Nov 26, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #734 of 19,252

Users who are viewing this thread

Back