If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Dec 1, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #752 of 19,252
Just bought Gnarlsagan's ER4S. Can hardly wait to audition them. I have a feeling it will be good. Fingers crossed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #753 of 19,252
If you guys haven't already done so, give the Tzar 350 a look, and perhaps compromiseds another accuracy-oriented IEM.

I was seriously considering it but I don't support heir audio's method of marketing. If the claim for "reference" accuracy is made, there should be some supporting info about design goals and compromises, like what etymotic does. Without that it's a bunch of fluff imo.

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #755 of 19,252
like the graph paper for the er4pt or how they garanty a minimum difference between left and right drivers i suppose.

Dec 3, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #756 of 19,252
Although some aspects of Heir's marketing are questionable, I feel like the choice to not publish a frequency chart for their IEMs is a way of saying "trust your ears." As opposed to looking at a bunch of numbers/graphs and allowing them to heavily affect your impressions. Too many people get so caught up in the tech specs that they form premature bias and write things off for the wrong reasons. imo

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #757 of 19,252
So if I put a new cable on the ER4S without a resistor and without the adapters, how will that affect output? Does the ER4S become an ER4P?

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #758 of 19,252
I use my ER-4S with my Schiit Lyr. I didn't buy the Lyr for them specifically but also for my over-ear phones... right now Beyer 880 / 600ohm versions. I hear no noise from the Lyr with my 4S, and it sure gives more transparency and stage depth... as well as a little more bass response. 

And, speaking of bass with the 4S... if you will go have some custom ear pieces made for the 4S, it will help the bass end... as well as overall performance. For a little over $100, you can't beat it. And then you don't have to look for the right tips. I love 'em!

I also use 4S a lot for watching movies in bed when my wife is asleep. I just plug them into the headphone output on the side of my Samsung LCD. And I use a rather cheap 10 extension to reach me in bed... never for serious music listening in my main system. The Samsung drives the 4S fairly well for movie watching... or for programs.

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #759 of 19,252
Hey Skooks, would you mind posting a pic of what your ER4s with custom tips look like in your ears? Also, where did you get them done?

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #760 of 19,252
Yep.
Quote:
So if I put a new cable on the ER4S without a resistor and without the adapters, how will that affect output? Does the ER4S become an ER4P?

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #761 of 19,252
Okay so I just got my new set direct from Etymotic, and it's the old version with red and blue cable connectors and unbraided cable. Wow. Will definitely be exchanging it but why would they do that? Exchanging is such a hassle, and I have to pay for shipping again. 

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #763 of 19,252
Quote:
Did you e-mail them and ask them about it first?

Yeah I filled out the return form explaining my problem. Obviously I'll wait until they respond to do anything. I was going to change the cable anyway, but I shouldn't be getting an older version when buying new. The picture on their website has black connectors and an updated box. The whole thing is just weird to me. 

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #764 of 19,252
I should add that they sound absolutely perfect though. The foams seem to work best for me since there is no bi-flange option included. Thanks to soundstige for selling a pair at a good price that got me to finally bite on these.

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #765 of 19,252
Hmm sounds like they're still in the old-to-new version transition phase, and trying to get rid of old inventory; but doing it in this way is not cool. Etymotic should just ship you the new version right now instead of having you wait another week and pay for shipping; that's the right thing to do after you've been caught screwing up! This is unfortunate... but if they take my recommended course of action, you'll have two ER4S! haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back