If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Sep 3, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #407 of 19,246
Quote:

Regular cleaning of the triple flanges with inexpensive alcohol swabs should solve that issue... and also increase hygiene / reduce risk of ear infections.

I actually clean them with Isocol once a week, the reason why I change them after 6 months is simply due to the reduce sealing effect. 

Sep 3, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #408 of 19,246
Quote:
I actually clean them with Isocol once a week, the reason why I change them after 6 months is simply due to the reduce sealing effect. 

Just curious, can you explain why the sealing effect is reduced? For me, actually the sealing improved over time when my ears get used with the tips and I don't need to replace the tips for years.... My ER4 with 3-flanges tips sealing is just behind my ES5.

Sep 3, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #409 of 19,246
Quote:
Just curious, can you explain why the sealing effect is reduced? For me, actually the sealing improved over time when my ears get used with the tips and I don't need to replace the tips for years.... My ER4 with 3-flanges tips sealing is just behind my ES5.

I am just extrapolating but everytime that i take off the flange to clean it I am rotating the flange and I think that might be the cause. meaning that the flange seems to not to like readjusting itself too much. 

It is not a huge change but it is enough to trouble me. I am sure for most it is not an issue. 
I can always achieve perfect seal if I insert the flange the way they etymotics folks recommend on their site but I find that deep insertion too troubling. The way I do it is simply push and twist. 

Sep 4, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #410 of 19,246
I have had the 4S for a year now. And, I agree... I've not heard any headphones that are as transparent and revealing of the music. And they have a deep soundstage. But, to really hear them at their best, you must get the custom molded ear pieces for them. These give you a very quiet background, and are very comfortable. Go to Ety's website and you can find how to get them. They will send you to an audiologist to make the mold, and they will send them to be made. It takes about 2 - 3 weeks to get them. Also, I drive them with my Lyr headphone amp with the GE tubes. This is MUSIC!

Sep 4, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #411 of 19,246
Quote:
I have had the 4S for a year now. And, I agree... I've not heard any headphones that are as transparent and revealing of the music. And they have a deep soundstage. But, to really hear them at their best, you must get the custom molded ear pieces for them. These give you a very quiet background, and are very comfortable. Go to Ety's website and you can find how to get them. They will send you to an audiologist to make the mold, and they will send them to be made. It takes about 2 - 3 weeks to get them. Also, I drive them with my Lyr headphone amp with the GE tubes. This is MUSIC!

About how much would you say you paid in total for all the services, fees, items, etc. in getting custom molds? I'm really considering it.

Sep 4, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #413 of 19,246
I was able to feel and hear the 40 Hz sine wave using my ER-4P's and HF-3's pretty easily. It was a bit more muted with the S cable adapter attached, but still easily discernible.

Just for fun I tried my GR07 with the 40 Hz, wow, blew the ety's away of course.

quick question for all you ety folks,...

with a good seal,...

listening at your normal listening volume,...

can you hear or feel a 40Hz sine wave?

Sep 4, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #414 of 19,246
I was able to feel and hear the 40 Hz sine wave using my ER-4P's and HF-3's pretty easily. It was a bit more muted with the S cable adapter attached, but still easily discernible.
Just for fun I tried my GR07 with the 40 Hz, wow, blew the ety's away of course.

Bumping the acoustic dampers on my Ety MC5s created a nut rattlin bass response.

All the while, it's other goodness still shines too!!!

Ymmv, Jim

Sep 4, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #415 of 19,246
I prefer the Ety ER4S to the DT1350 and Amperior, Vmoda M80, etc. They are just kick ass. I've been looking for a headphone to easily take on and off as apposed to having to go through a process with the Etys, and frankly, there isn't anything that is as good as the Etys under $400 anyway.

I got around the customs issue by getting the Shure Olives which isolate well and give a good sound.

Sep 4, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #417 of 19,246
Quote:
thanks for helping make up my mind guys!

Once again:

1-Lack of bass initially will bother you, this is normal since like most of us before we associte bass with good music. This in ear monitor will let you understand what detail, presentation and clear high notes is about. Give your ears at least few months to get used to it (depending on how often you use it)

2-The triple flange will initially make you hate them, use them, as more you use it the ear wax softens them up. I dont know how good it works but i actually placed my flange alone in boiling water for few minutes. I can really recall how effective it was for softening the plastic flange . But once you get used to it they will not bother you., 

3-You need good amp! You need a high voltage amp. Since this IEM are high in ohm your amp output impedance is not an issue. As far as amp goes I still have not found my ultimate portable amp. 
I have O2 right now as my transportable amp, it is a great amp but it does not bring the best of IEM in my opinion. 

Sep 4, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #418 of 19,246
cheers man,

i'm an earsonics fan so i understand about giving something enough time, haha!

i was looking for something that is the complete opposite to my em3pro's and these seem to fit the bill quite nicely,... it'll be interesting learning to work with them on tracks that i think i know so well. 

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #419 of 19,246
Quote:
cheers man,

i'm an earsonics fan so i understand about giving something enough time, haha!

i was looking for something that is the complete opposite to my em3pro's and these seem to fit the bill quite nicely,... it'll be interesting learning to work with them on tracks that i think i know so well. 

I think you will like this legends. Have them for now over 8 years, love them. The only think I kept and the k702. The only reason I kept the k702 purely for its soundstage (it suffers from mid-range to my ears, but in general I am sensitive to midrange)

Sep 5, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #420 of 19,246
My Headstage Arrow 3G has been a fantastic amp for my ER4B. Although I haven't tried any other amps except for the Fiio E11, so my opinion doesn't mean much. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back