1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...

First

Back
16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36
Next

Last
  1. tomscy2000
    Finally found some tips that don't cause my ears to scream bloody murder when using the ER4B...

​
    IMG_8402.jpg
    Klipsch largesmall double flange ovals... my savior! I hate you, ER38-18...​

2. librarian
    I just made a comparative analysis of ER4S vs. Heir 4ai, and in my world ER4S is still going strong :) Unfortunately I don't have time for a full translation from danish to english at the moment, but if anyone have questions about how these compare, just bring it on... For clarity, accuracy, clean tone, airyness and the feeling of being very close to the instruments played, I'd take the ER4S anytime. It's beautiful!

3. kmhaynes
    Quote:

I guess most people would be interested in how the single BA ER4S compares in bass fullness to the 4-driver 4Ai, assuming you are using the same flat EQ settings for both to compare.  As I have stated many times, my Cowon J3 JetAudio EQ is super clean, introducing no discernable (to me, at least) distortion, so I can beef up the EQ to give my ER4P (+75-ohm adapter) a bit of bass body and fullness to satisfy me fully.

Quote:

LOL!!  Your ear canals must be much bigger than mine, because the milk-gray Ety 3-flange tips (ER38-18) fit wonderfully for me.  Mine have about 2 years of use on them, and with warm ear wax + regular cleaning, they are very soft and fit very snuggly in my ears.  Yours may have been going too deep to get a seal due to larger ear canals.  Glad the Klipsch tips work for you -- the ER4 is too good to be compromised by bad-fitting tips.

4. K3cT
    Quote:

Try sending them an e-mail and request shipping via Air Mail. That's what I did. 

5. Inks
    Quote:
      Nice, now try to get a hold of Knowles orange dampers. PM me if you need help with that. 

6. shotgunshane Contributor
    Will the dampers need modification to fit? Looks like Westone sells the orange dampers.

7. Inks
    No but you have to be careful when inserting them as they're metal not plastic. Westone's filters may be orange but that doesn't necessarily mean it will have the same acoustic impedance. 

8. shotgunshane Contributor
    They're the same: http://www.westone.com/store/index.php/knowles-acoustic-dampers-5.html
    But I'm sure mouser is cheaper.

9. Inks
    Oh, in that case yes. Thanks for the link didn't expect Westone selling them at all. 

10. tomscy2000
    Quote:

Actually, no, quite the opposite; they're actually the small double flange tips --- my mistake. My ear canals are small, and very oval in shape. Using the ER38 tips feels like an alien probing.

Quote:

If it were my own, I would, but this one isn't mine. Getting the 3300 ohm dampers makes it much more bass heavy, though --- not sure why you would want that from an ER4.

Quote:

Yeah, those are the right ones. People forget that Westone also makes hearing aids.

11. Inks
    Orange filters are simply flatter, the yellow ones are bass heavy. Red ones work well too. Too bad that can't be tested for you though.

12. tomscy2000
    Quote:

Perhaps not 'bass heavy', but you will hear more bass with orange filters.

13. librarian
    Quote:
    I tested with Colorfly C4 on "normal" (=flat) EQ setting. Using 16/44 Flac

For classical music I found 4ai's bass and all lower frequenzies to be very present. Sometimes adding a dramatic quality to the music, but mostly I found it to be too much. While the ER4s for me has just the right amount. For some other genres the signature of 4ai was better than er4s; reggae for instance. But then again I carry more than one iem to suit different genres of music, and I never listen to reggae with er4s.

Over all I find 4ai to be a good all round iem. And many will find them to be more pleasing and easy to listen to than the er4s. But it's not on er4s level when it comes to detail retrieval in the high frequenzies. Also in comparison the 4ai sound a bit muffled/congested/closed. Not that I didn't like 4ai, but the er4s is amazing :) It's a very special sound, and not for everyone, I guess.

14. Dragunov-21
    Quote:
    I don't suppose you've owned UM3Xs or had the chance to listen to them back to back with the Etys?  I love my Etys, but they lack the lower-end presence to really move me.  The UM3Xs on the other had, do not, but tend to let the bass cover the detail it's able to reproduce to a fair extent (once you get a good seal).  Good for dubstep, but it's missing the sharpness and detail I so love in classical/acoustic tracks.

I'm hoping that the 4.Ai might provide sit much closer to perfection for me (when listening for enjoyment), but obviously without listening to some first I'd be likely to end up with $455 of wasted cash.

15. Selenium
    I have to say, I've grown to love these. Took a while. I can finally get a consistently good fit.

The imaging is so good and the soundtage is a bit underrated IMO.

First

Back
16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36
Next

Last