If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Sep 5, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #422 of 19,252
Hi jim,
Would you mind explaining what you mean by this?
Does it apply to er4 too?
It sounds great,but I have no idea what it means!

What it means is basically this...

IEMs that use a Knowles Acoustic Dampers are tuned by the IEM Manufacturer. If the manu has not used the greatest resistance damper, some fine tuning can be undertaken by the End User by increasing the resistance.

Now as can be seen here: http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-effect-of-acoustic-dampers-on-iems.html?m=1

This has been measured and verified that the damper affects the higher frequencies. Smoothing them somewhat, so adding a greater resistance damper reduces the highs. Thus giving a boosted bass response feel.

I swapped out my stock MC5 Dampers for some ER-4 (green) dampers, and wow does it work...

Hope it helps, Jim

Sep 5, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #423 of 19,252
^ Interesting - thanks for bringing this to my attention. Not sure if I'll actually try it, but its nice to know about and never had any idea this existed

Sep 5, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #424 of 19,252
Quote:
About how much would you say you paid in total for all the services, fees, items, etc. in getting custom molds? I'm really considering it.

Hi guys,

I too am interested in this.  For those that got custom-fit molds how much did it cost?   I can't see any information on the Etymotic site concerning how much the cost is.  I have googled and found old information from late 2010 saying that you register with Etymotic and get a form, then take that form to the audiologist, get the impressions made and pay Etymotic $100.  Is this still the case?  On the faq page it says to pay the audiologist. Did you get your impressions from ACS in the mail?...or did you go back to the audiologist and get them there and made sure that they fit properly.  Sorry for all the questions.  I am really looking at these but am interested in also getting the custom-fit.

Thanks!

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #425 of 19,252
Quote:

Hi guys,

I too am interested in this.  For those that got custom-fit molds how much did it cost?   I can't see any information on the Etymotic site concerning how much the cost is.  I have googled and found old information from late 2010 saying that you register with Etymotic and get a form, then take that form to the audiologist, get the impressions made and pay Etymotic $100.  Is this still the case?  On the faq page it says to pay the audiologist. Did you get your impressions from ACS in the mail?...or did you go back to the audiologist and get them there and made sure that they fit properly.  Sorry for all the questions.  I am really looking at these but am interested in also getting the custom-fit.

Thanks!

i got mine last year, $100.
i paid the audiologist, who also did a long deferred set of hearing tests, so that was submitted to my health insurance.
audiologist mailed impressions to ACS, i got molds in mail from ACS.
fast, easy process.

Sep 6, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #427 of 19,252
Hi everybody - this is my first post, and I'm very excited.

I've been using the HF-5's for about 2 years now. They are my first pair of IEMs and I absolutely LOVE them. When I purchased them, I was playing drums for hours a day on a student budget, and these really allowed me to extend my practice time with comfort. Of course, I carry them everywhere and they are almost always in my ears : )

Anyway, about a year ago the left earbud shorted out. Etymotic replaced them - no questions asked. But, it has happened a second time (on the replacement pair) and my warranty is over. I've always been kind to them, never tugging on the wires, etc. But, I'm not too disappointed since I've used them for hours upon hours upon hours. 

Here are my options:

1. Buy a replacement pair for about $90. 

2. Step up to the ER4.

3. Find a different company.

I'm leaning toward stepping up to the ER4, but I'm hesitant because of the issue I've had with the cable connection on the HF5. 

Can anybody share their comparison of the HF5 vs the ER4, and perhaps speak to the durability issue? Links are just fine - no reason to re-invent the wheel.

Thanks in advance!

-sheldon

Sep 6, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #428 of 19,252
Welcome to headfi!

All I can say is that my HF-3s have lasted fine for a year and a half of hiking, biking, and everything else. My ER4s have lasted 5+ years and have had no issues. Very solid.

The ER4P can be driven without an amp sufficiently. The ER4S needs an amp to sound its best. The P should have more bass but less detail than the S.

Compared to the HF5, you should hear noticeably more detail and a slightly more analytical sound. It will pretty much be the same house sound, however.

Sep 6, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #430 of 19,252
Quote:
Welcome to headfi!

All I can say is that my HF-3s have lasted fine for a year and a half of hiking, biking, and everything else. My ER4s have lasted 5+ years and have had no issues. Very solid.

The ER4P can be driven without an amp sufficiently. The ER4S needs an amp to sound its best. The P should have more bass but less detail than the S.

Compared to the HF5, you should hear noticeably more detail and a slightly more analytical sound. It will pretty much be the same house sound, however.

Yes, I would like to have more detail. I also enjoy the warmth of the HF5s; however, I'm certainly more open to something more accurate.

I'm NOT a fan of overwhelming treble and bass. I actually bought a pair of Dre Beats Tours after my HF5s broke, absolutely desperate for something to use in the meantime. They were completely unbearable and I returned them almost immediately. Nothing but HUGE lows (although I admit they were clear) and the shrilly part of the treble that makes your head feel like it's splitting in half. I also couldn't get a good seal with the tri-flanges, which I need when I'm behind the drums. The thin rubbery dome-shaped things just don't isolate well enough.

Unrelated - but are there any tips I can get that are larger than Etymotics tri-flange? My ear canals are pretty big, but I'm not quite ready to step up to customs until I find a pair of headphones I really love.

-sheldon

Sep 6, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #431 of 19,252
Quote:

i got mine last year, $100.
i paid the audiologist, who also did a long deferred set of hearing tests, so that was submitted to my health insurance.
audiologist mailed impressions to ACS, i got molds in mail from ACS.
fast, easy process.

Quote:
So, its actually $200 for the molds... damn

cat6man thanks for your response.  So, would it have been more than $100 if you hadn't gone through your insurance?

robm321, I don't think it cost $200....haven't seen that amount anywhere yet.

Sep 6, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #432 of 19,252
Shelon get the P version and buy a seprate resistor, this way you actually have two different all wrapped in one. 

I personally went right away with the ER4S, but if I was to buy them again I would go down the route of buying a P with a S resistor. 

Sep 6, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #433 of 19,252
Quote:
What it means is basically this...
IEMs that use a Knowles Acoustic Dampers are tuned by the IEM Manufacturer. If the manu has not used the greatest resistance damper, some fine tuning can be undertaken by the End User by increasing the resistance.
Now as can be seen here: http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-effect-of-acoustic-dampers-on-iems.html?m=1
This has been measured and verified that the damper affects the higher frequencies. Smoothing them somewhat, so adding a greater resistance damper reduces the highs. Thus giving a boosted bass response feel.
I swapped out my stock MC5 Dampers for some ER-4 (green) dampers, and wow does it work...
Hope it helps, Jim

This is very interresting - thanks for sharing. 
Where can one aquire the different dampers? I can only find the green filters on Etymotics website?

Sep 6, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #434 of 19,252
This is very interresting - thanks for sharing. 
Where can one aquire the different dampers? I can only find the green filters on Etymotics website?

Here: http://www.mouser.com/Mobile/Electromechanical/Speakers-Transducers/_/N-wp8t/?P=1z0z39l&Keyword=Dampers

Jim

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #435 of 19,252
Quote:
Here: http://www.mouser.com/Mobile/Electromechanical/Speakers-Transducers/_/N-wp8t/?P=1z0z39l&Keyword=Dampers
Jim

Thanks! I guess I have to try each one of them....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back