If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Sep 8, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #451 of 19,252
Looks like I'm going to pick up a pair of Grado iGi until I can afford the ER4s next month. There's a store just down the street from me that caries Groto products (I love Portland). I'll probably get my HF5's replaced in the near future, as well. 

Anyway, I'll listen for a few days and post a comparison. Does anybody have any advice for testing procedures? I know that the Grotos will need a lengthy break-in period, but other than that I'm just going to be reviewing based on my opinion.

-sheldon

Why not order some HF3's from Cowboom? They're $65 right now.

Sep 8, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #452 of 19,252
Sold out now right? If I'm wrong, please PM me because a friend of mine would pick these up in a second.

Sep 9, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #453 of 19,252
Astroturf: Why the least favorite album?

Unfortunately I had to use these today while I was doing some drum recording. Same thing tomorrow. So, I'll have to gradually enjoy the process of them breaking in. I'll post my initial impressions tomorrow.

-sheldon

Sep 9, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #455 of 19,252
Astroturf: Why the least favorite album?
-sheldon

Well, I am generally a Rock Guy. But, I do have quite a mix in my collection. Then one day I got around to the soundtrack from Saturday Night Fever and was absolutely blown away by it. The Ety Magic Dust was sprinkled all over it and it sounded fantastic.

Hence, Pick your least favorite and hopefully you will be wowed like I was.

Cheers, Jim

Sep 9, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #457 of 19,252
Anyone in hear bought the Fitear 111? Is it truly a better ER4 without the need of an amp?

I use my ER-4 unamped... And highly doubt that spending more than double the bucks for a F111 (that uses the self same Knowles Driver) is worth it.

But, Then again some peoples ears are tickled by how much they spend.

In My Opinion... Of course.

Jim

Sep 9, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #458 of 19,252
Quote:
I use my ER-4 unamped... And highly doubt that spending more than double the bucks for a F111 (that uses the self same Knowles Driver) is worth it.
But, Then again some peoples ears are tickled by how much they spend.
In My Opinion... Of course.
Jim

I think I read that it sounds like the ER4S without the need to amp it. 

ER4S definitely needs an amp to sound its best. I will pass on it for now simply because of the cost. 

Sep 9, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #459 of 19,252
I think I read that it sounds like the ER4S without the need to amp it. 

ER4S definitely needs an amp to sound its best. I will pass on it for now simply because of the cost. 

Ah, You may be right... Sorry.

Jim

PS Wouldn't all IEMs sound their best with an amp?

Sep 9, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #460 of 19,252
Quote:
Ah, You may be right... Sorry.
Jim
PS Wouldn't all IEMs sound their best with an amp?

Yes, all would sound better with an amp.  There is different quantities of what better is.  Better could be a tiny improvement (and I mean tiny), but audible (where the hassle of an amp as well as its price may not be worth it).  Most IEMs actually fall into this category and are able to easily be driven by portables.  Then there are those that really need an amp to be driven correctly.  The ER4S is said to be between these two categories.  It will benefit greatly from an amp, but it's said it's not a requirement any longer due to the portable sources' power increases through the years.

Sep 9, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #462 of 19,252
Quote:

Yes, all would sound better with an amp.  There is different quantities of what better is.  Better could be a tiny improvement (and I mean tiny), but audible (where the hassle of an amp as well as its price may not be worth it).  Most IEMs actually fall into this category and are able to easily be driven by portables.  Then there are those that really need an amp to be driven correctly.  The ER4S is said to be between these two categories.  It will benefit greatly from an amp, but it's said it's not a requirement any longer due to the portable sources' power increases through the years.

I am still looking for a portable which can do that. Tried rocoo BA, Hifiman 601, non of them do the job the way my desktop amp does. 

Sep 9, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #463 of 19,252
Quote:
I am still looking for a portable which can do that. Tried rocoo BA, Hifiman 601, non of them do the job the way my desktop amp does. 

Something with a larger battery and bigger power output may be better for doing that.  That said, maybe a phone or tablet may be what you're after.  Find a good phone with a good DAC.  The iPhone 4 may be a good DAC as a portable (I think one of the Galaxy phones uses a Wolfson as well; beware that many of them may be off the market soon in the US :p).

Sep 9, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #464 of 19,252
Quote:

Something with a larger battery and bigger power output may be better for doing that.  That said, maybe a phone or tablet may be what you're after.  Find a good phone with a good DAC.  The iPhone 4 may be a good DAC as a portable (I think one of the Galaxy phones uses a Wolfson as well; beware that many of them may be off the market soon in the US :p).

:D Glad I am not in the state :D

Sep 9, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #465 of 19,252
THe er4s scales very well. If you need an amp depends on how much you want the better sound. I find them to sound very good with my desktop set-up, but also with portable players like hifi man and colorfly. But I think a good source is even more important than the amp...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back