If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 23, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #17,521 of 19,246
What’s your opinion on stock clear tips vs the gray ones? Pics below.
Clear tips are less flexible and kinda hurt my ears compared to the grey ones. The surface is also more rubbery, not as soft as the grey ones. However... Clear tips are way more durable than the greys. The clear ones usually just become loose overtime, but the grey ones become loose AND deteriorate. I've had two pairs whose the top parts got ripped apart and separated from the middle and the bottom parts, they become dual flange instead. Also, sometimes the bottom part can also be ripped apart after spending many times pulling it in and out of ears by touching the bottom a bit. So... decision.... decision.

the best in terms of comfort and isolation is still the foam though, if you can actually glue the foam back to its stem once it is broken, or can find so many backup supplies you wouldn't worry too much about its rather short lifespan (1 month or 1.5 month at most). Or, Westone True Fit or Star tips. Those are simply the most balanced ones in terms of durability and comfort, and they just alter the sound a bit, if at all.

But unfortunately.... I've sold my Etys due to how I can't deal with finding yet another tips online with expensive shipping prices :D Now, I'm using Aonic 3, which is... surprisingly, not that bad, closer to Ety than I ever expected. And the Olive tips are just super durable and isolate close to Ety triple flange. But of course, Ety is still the best, and maybe in a few months, I'll find my way back to Ety again :) But yeah those olives....they're just super durable. Wish they sound good on Ety though, because they don't, at least for me.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #17,522 of 19,246
1A) ER4XR bass: Best of the XR line up but still some slight bloat in the upper bass(125 ~ 250Hz), Fine for casual use.

1B) ER4SR/ER4S bass : Zero bloat or any congestion, [..] Way easier to enjoy since the song already really bass boosted.
  • 1A & 1B: Aren't statement somewhat exclusive? The bass-detail shines more on the Er4SR [than the Er4XR].
  • 1B: AGREED. Going Er4XR -> Er4SR (in part to you), was a very good call; now that the initial placebo effect has somewhat tapered off, it remains more detailed than the Er4XR [when compensating for the less-bass-profile]. Especially bass-heavy tracks (e.g. 90's-Pantera) sound off at some volume-range on non-Er4SR-IEMs. On the SR, the bass and other ranges just keeps sounding so accurate [through many volume ranges] that I can still get the settings nailed for my guitar-cover work.
2A) Clear tips are way more durable than the greys. The clear ones usually just become loose overtime, but the grey ones become loose AND deteriorate.

2B) Now, I'm using Aonic 3, which is... surprisingly, not that bad, closer to Ety than I ever expected.
2C) Olive tips [..] isolate close to Ety triple flange.
2D) But of course, [..] I'll find my way back to Ety again :)
2E) those olives... Wish they sound good on Ety though, because they don't, at least for me.
  • 2A: Thank you very much, very good to know!
  • 2B: Coming from Shure's previous 1BA-earphone [180€], where I find an order-of-magnitude difference in sonic performance [compared to ER4], it seems a very forgiving statement. Very kind to Shure definitely.
  • 2C: No, they don't. Shure olives isolate rather well, but a significant difference remains. I think the ~5dB difference in claims from the makers is somewhat accurate, up-to -37dB (Shure) vs -42dB (Ety).
  • 2D: Yes, come back to Ety, you will. I hope so for you.
  • 2E: I agree that, alas, they deteriorate the accurate Ety-sound. Deep insertion of the small olives would have been great; comfort- & durability-wise.
Even if those Ety-tips deteriorate fast, it is much cheaper and convenient than a full-blown tailored HiFi-setup in some room. I think that is the order-of-magnitude they should be compared to. Try your importer for some nice price or other buying-potential. On all kind of accounts I couldn't get the triple-flanges at shops, but asking nicely ended me up getting a pack of 5 pairs.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #17,523 of 19,246
I find my ER2XR to have a natural sound. specially the mids. I am thinking of upgrading to the ER3XR. I read the BA Etys sound harsh than the dynamic driver in the 2XR. does the 3XR still have the smooth and neutral midrange of the 2XR with a great tone?

Mar 1, 2022 at 3:33 AM Post #17,524 of 19,246
I wish these 110-degree connectors were easier to obtain:
Clear.jpg
Black.jpg

The best I could find that can be ordered easily is this 80- or 90-degree connector. (Note that I didn't actually try ordering it, and that my experience with AliExpress has been ... mixed. So my linking to it doesn't constitute a recommendation.)

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2022 at 5:25 AM Post #17,526 of 19,246
For me, there is nothing more comfortable and better sounding than the Ety slim foams. I have fairly small ear openings where the larger foams don't sit right and the tri-flange silicones hurt after a while. Also dual flange create strange vacuum issues where an ear can sound congested.
These foams also have the best bass feel for me. No other tips have given me such a bass rumble when listening to Pop It Off by The Prototypes! It's almost as if they're shaking like a pair of high-end closed-back cans :)
product_e_a_ear_tip_kit-7_1-scaled-900x900.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2022 at 5:32 AM Post #17,527 of 19,246
For me, there is nothing more comfortable and better sounding than the Ety slim foams. I have fairly small ear openings where the larger foams don't sit right and the tri-flange silicones hurt after a while. Also dual flange create strange vacuum issues where an ear can sound congested.
These foams also have the best bass feel for me. No other tips have given me such a bass rumble when listening to Pop It Off by The Prototypes! It's almost as if they're shaking like a pair of high-end closed-back cans :)

I want to try these but can't find them anywhere in/near the UK. It's honestly quite disappointing how poor the provision of Ety products is to UK/Europe.

Mar 1, 2022 at 5:50 AM Post #17,528 of 19,246
I want to try these but can't find them anywhere in/near the UK. It's honestly quite disappointing how poor the provision of Ety products is to UK/Europe.
It's true but you know what's even better and what I use when drumming? Comply P-series. For me the medium is exactly the same fit and sound as the Ety slim foams. The comply are more comfortable coz they're so soft 😁

Here's a link if u fancy them. https://www.complyfoam.co.uk/collec...emory-foam-earbud-tips?variant=38150612058310

Mar 1, 2022 at 5:54 AM Post #17,529 of 19,246
It's true but you know what's even better and what I use when drumming? Comply P-series. For me the medium is exactly the same fit and sound as the Ety slim foams. The comply are more comfortable coz they're so soft 😁

Here's a link if u fancy them. https://www.complyfoam.co.uk/collections/shure®/products/professional-series-memory-foam-earbud-tips?variant=38150612058310

I saw these while purchasing the TSX-100 that works really well with the ER4B to soften things. The P-series seems wider than the Ety slim foam which might be a struggle due to my very small ear canals. For now I've settled on Ety Frosted cut to dual flange, they're very small, seal well and don't dull the treble extension too much. The only issue is that they are very stiff and not especially comfortable for >1-2 hours.

Mar 1, 2022 at 6:14 AM Post #17,530 of 19,246
I saw these while purchasing the TSX-100 that works really well with the ER4B to soften things. The P-series seems wider than the Ety slim foam which might be a struggle due to my very small ear canals. For now I've settled on Ety Frosted cut to dual flange, they're very small, seal well and don't dull the treble extension too much. The only issue is that they are very stiff and not especially comfortable for >1-2 hours.
Always fascinates me just how unique everybody's anatomy truly is when you get down to fine-tuning a fit. Be it earphones or shoes or gloves etc. In my case, the comply are even softer and more comfy than Ety foams. Interesting to hear other people's experiences

Mar 1, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #17,531 of 19,246
Always fascinates me just how unique everybody's anatomy truly is when you get down to fine-tuning a fit. Be it earphones or shoes or gloves etc. In my case, the comply are even softer and more comfy than Ety foams. Interesting to hear other people's experiences

Yeah! Fit is incredibly important and I rarely pass up the opportunity to try more tips. :)

Mar 1, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #17,532 of 19,246
Do the er3/4 have more distortion than the er2? Do the ety bas sound more grainy in the mids due to the distortion?

Mar 1, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #17,533 of 19,246
These are the best sounding and most comfortable for me too. Just a shame I cannot use them with the EVO's but for ER4XR these are my favorites too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back