If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 13, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #17,491 of 19,253
I'm so late into the party.. just received the ER4XR and it's one of the most clear and addictive items I've heard. What impress me most of the sound isolation . It's as good if not better than the Sony wf-1000xm4. The bass is surprisingly good too. Vocials are so beautiful. This makes my other iems sounded muffled and dull now.

Feb 13, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #17,492 of 19,253
I'm so late into the party.. just received the ER4XR and it's one of the most clear and addictive items I've heard. What impress me most of the sound isolation . It's as good if not better than the Sony wf-1000xm4. The bass is surprisingly good too. Vocials are so beautiful. This makes my other iems sounded muffled and dull now.
Welcome to the point of no return. If you ever get a chance you should also have a listen to the ER2XR with brown filters 😍

Feb 13, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #17,493 of 19,253
Welcome to the point of no return. If you ever get a chance you should also have a listen to the ER2XR with brown filters 😍
Does the brown filters reduce the bass and increase details? If so should I get the SR version?

Feb 13, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #17,494 of 19,253
You can try adding impedance adapter around 68-75 ohm (avoid Dunu adapter) on ER4XR. It will make 4XR clearer

Feb 14, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #17,496 of 19,253
I'm relatively new to this thread but a very long time etymotic user.

This coloured filter business completely bypassed me until now.

Is the recommendation just to use the brown filter with with ER2XR? I have the ER3XR and ER4XR too and wonder if they benefit from a filter swap as well (and if so how)?

Thanks in advance

Feb 14, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #17,497 of 19,253
I'm relatively new to this thread but a very long time etymotic user.

This coloured filter business completely bypassed me until now.

Is the recommendation just to use the brown filter with with ER2XR? I have the ER3XR and ER4XR too and wonder if they benefit from a filter swap as well (and if so how)?

Thanks in advance
Just tried the orange filters on ER4XR and planning to keep it there. It brings down the 4-6k range while keeping the rest of the highs and lows areas making its more relax to listen to without losing much details . The volume can then be brought up and the bass is now more elevated and musical.

Edit. It's the orange filter not the brown.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #17,498 of 19,253
i would really like to try brown filters with my ex2xr/ex3xr but cannot find anywhere that sells them without having to buy a complete kit (uk)

Any ideas?
Hi yes well all I would say is watch this space because, out of a pure labour of love for Etymotic, I will be buying many Knowles dampers in various forms and resizing them to fit onto any Ety IEMs. Not only that but I have an idea for shipping them with a removal tool that will make the filters reusable so you can play with tuning without waste (unless of course you have to replace them because of blockages after extensive use)

So yeah I would really really appreciate it if as many people as possible from wherever they are in the world would let me know exactly which filters they'd like - perhaps even a selection of all of them just to try.

I will work out prices soon but I promise the costs will be far cheaper than Ety. I'm not looking to make a penny of profit from this so it will mostly come down to shipping costs from UK :)

And apologies for not replying to some people who requested filters a few months back. Please simply let me know which filters and how many you'd like and we can go from there.

Thanks Ety fam!

Feb 14, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #17,499 of 19,253
Hi yes well all I would say is watch this space because, out of a pure labour of love for Etymotic, I will be buying many Knowles dampers in various forms and resizing them to fit onto any Ety IEMs. Not only that but I have an idea for shipping them with a removal tool that will make the filters reusable so you can play with tuning without waste (unless of course you have to replace them because of blockages after extensive use)

So yeah I would really really appreciate it if as many people as possible from wherever they are in the world would let me know exactly which filters they'd like - perhaps even a selection of all of them just to try.

I will work out prices soon but I promise the costs will be far cheaper than Ety. I'm not looking to make a penny of profit from this so it will mostly come down to shipping costs from UK :)

And apologies for not replying to some people who requested filters a few months back. Please simply let me know which filters and how many you'd like and we can go from there.

Thanks Ety fam!
What a wonderful idea, personally i want the orange filters to try - the red are available form hifiheadphones in the UK
d

Feb 14, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #17,501 of 19,253

Thanks Ety fam!
Knowles dampers don't fit... Sonion do :thumbsup:I like brown (1000ohm) in my ER4XR with PlusSound X series copper cable.

Feb 15, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #17,504 of 19,253
Feb 15, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #17,505 of 19,253
Is it worth it? Cut those metal ring vs. plug'n'play...
Can't get Sonion in UK though unless you have a dealer you can put me in touch with - would be greatly appreciated. But I've had 0 luck so far :frowning2:

Yeah it's not bad, takes some digital calipers and a Dremel. Very quick job to do a pair. I can do about 50 pairs over 3 hours or so. Plus I get the luxury of doing them during work time when it's quiet and the whole metro system I work on hasn't blown itself up 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back