If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Mar 4, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #16,516 of 19,246
I which case I can only yield to your awesomeness. Give Nessy and the others my best
I have been to Loch Ness but I didn’t see Nessie😊
Regarding the ear tips or anything else. You should question everything in life. I am not saying to buy these from AliExpress, but don’t just throw it out the window and say it doesn’t work because someone else says it makes no difference. Like I said, the exact same thing happened when I was discussing mains cables, how can the cable from the wall to the amp/cd player make a difference. What a load of rubbish! I was told. Well if you don’t try the product you can’t comment. Guess what? You can only lose out by not trying. If the cable/ear tips don’t work, you were correct and you will feel good. But if they do actually work you will feel even better. 😊

Mar 5, 2021 at 1:00 AM Post #16,517 of 19,246
OK. I have to come here just to post this. I own the er4b, er4s, er4sr, er4xr and have owned the er3se and er3xr in the past. I know, I have a problem...

However, a friend let me borrow the er2se and er2xr. I've always assumed they were cheaper and not as good as the er4 in at least "some" way. Over time i have gravitated strongly to dynamic driver earphones, as they just sound right to me more than balanced armature, even when the response isn't as good. Although er4xr is the least "BA" sounding "BA" to me, or maybe moondrop S8, which both ironically have the best responses.. Anyway, I'm absolutely astonished.

This may be a bit premature, but having the experience I do with the etymotic line I feel pretty confident... I think I might actually like the er2xr more than any other etymotic. I mean daaaaaaaang. It has a nice DD quality and none of the BA "thing" (timbre perhaps?) that I dislike. The response is superb. The imaging and smoothness and clarity are just phenomenal.

While I would say it is incredibly similar to the er4xr in almost every way, the DD character compared to the BA character really does make a better sound to my ears. I'm literally considering at least letting go of some other etymotics i have (not the er4xr just yet) to get a set. These things are great! I highly recommend them for the price and anyone with a similar driver taste. I can't believe I waited so long to try them.

EDIT: I may listen to a bunch of genres and come back later and find I was completely wrong. Just a disclaimer for all possible outcomes. :wink: But I doubt it. :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #16,518 of 19,246
OK. I have to come here just to post this. I own the er4b, er4s, er4sr, er4xr and have owned the er3se and er3xr in the past. I know, I have a problem...

However, a friend let me borrow the er2se and er2xr. I've always assumed they were cheaper and not as good as the er4 in at least "some" way. Over time i have gravitated strongly to dynamic driver earphones, as they just sound right to me more than balanced armature, even when the response isn't as good. Although er4xr is the least "BA" sounding "BA" to me, or maybe moondrop S8, which both ironically have the best responses.. Anyway, I'm absolutely astonished.

This may be a bit premature, but having the experience I do with the etymotic line I feel pretty confident... I think I might actually like the er2xr more than any other etymotic. I mean daaaaaaaang. It has a nice DD quality and none of the BA "thing" (timbre perhaps?) that I dislike. The response is superb. The imaging and smoothness and clarity are just phenomenal.

While I would say it is incredibly similar to the er4xr in almost every way, the DD character compared to the BA character really does make a better sound to my ears. I'm literally considering at least letting go of some other etymotics i have (not the er4xr just yet) to get a set. These things are great! I highly recommend them for the price and anyone with a similar driver taste. I can't believe I waited so long to try them.

EDIT: I may listen to a bunch of genres and come back later and find I was completely wrong. Just a disclaimer for all possible outcomes. :wink: But I doubt it. :wink:
I usually prefere my ER2 to my ER4. Some genres are handled different on the two sets but for the majority of what I listen to the ER2 is better.

Mar 5, 2021 at 6:36 AM Post #16,519 of 19,246

When I got the two sets of ER2 series IEMs, I was rather confident that I would like the ER2, given that I already liked other more or less neutral-ish sounding dynamic driver in-ears (such as my Fostex TE-02 and HiFiMan RE-400i), which also turned out to be the case, but I didn't expect to liking the ER2XR as much as I then did. In fact I didn't even listen to them for some time as I didn't have too many expectations regarding their technical qualities given their confident sub-bass boost, but the first time I inserted them and played back whatever I did first (be it sine sweeps, noise signals, music, films, speech or YouTube - not sure anymore, but I think it were some films or music), I sort of already knew they would turn out to be something special. Well, fast forward, in terms of tuning and the overall package, they are now probably my all-time favourite IEMs for non-flat recreational listening regardless of price and driver tech.

Mar 5, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #16,520 of 19,246
Here a big fan of the Er4xr. My favorite iems by far. I simply love them!
I have just ordered the ER2xr with the Etymotion Bluetooth module. 108 dollars at Amazon USA, 128 euros for me with shipping and import to Spain. Very good price compared with the 250 euros at Amazon.es. I will post my impressions when I get them. I am not sure about the Bluetooth module, we’ll see. I do not expect the same soundquality as the cable, but ease of connection and practicality. I have the Sony wh1000m3 which I love for flights but the tuning is too bass heavy, I need to eq them. I do like the Sonys but they are of course full headphones. I also have the Jabra elite 65t which are very practical iems but the sound is rather poor imho.
I hope to get better sound quality with the ER2xr Etymotion than the Jabra and reasonable ease of use and practicality. We’ll see I have read mixed reviews. Worst case scenario I will have to buy a cable for them!

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #16,521 of 19,246
Wow. didn't expect so many similar responses. especially from people who have heard the er4. I really am amazed. Wish I had tried them sooner, but I had no real "need" to get a cheaper etymotic that I had assumed wouldn't match the er4 technically. Anyone on the fence, especially for financial reasons should just buy the er2xr.

Mar 5, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #16,522 of 19,246
Wow. didn't expect so many similar responses. especially from people who have heard the er4. I really am amazed. Wish I had tried them sooner, but I had no real "need" to get a cheaper etymotic that I had assumed wouldn't match the er4 technically. Anyone on the fence, especially for financial reasons should just buy the er2xr.
Well I guess this will not be the case for everyone. For example, I bought blon from hearing the rave about this magical timbre. At first it seemed the guitar was magical, but I am not sure anymore. I think it was placebo, or else why would I find edx to be better than blon?? I think, maybe the people on the bandwagon who says we are used to hearing dd timbre may have a case. Anyway, I just bought er4sr, maybe along the line I will buy the er2se someday.

Mar 5, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #16,523 of 19,246
Well I guess this will not be the case for everyone. For example, I bought blon from hearing the rave about this magical timbre. At first it seemed the guitar was magical, but I am not sure anymore. I think it was placebo, or else why would I find edx to be better than blon?? I think, maybe the people on the bandwagon who says we are used to hearing dd timbre may have a case. Anyway, I just bought er4sr, maybe along the line I will buy the er2se someday.
If you already have the ER4SR, then you don't really need the ER2SE or XR, so don't buy into that! Unless you have the extra money and for instance want to own a ER4SR/ER2XR combo, or a ER4XR/ER2SE combo.. to compliment each other, then that would make sense! If you do happen to have a lot of money, then just get all four :)
My personal preference is ER4SR<ER4XR=ER2SE<ER2XR.. but again this preference can certainly be altered depending on source and type of music..even time of day!

Mar 6, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #16,524 of 19,246
If you already have the ER4SR, then you don't really need the ER2SE or XR, so don't buy into that! Unless you have the extra money and for instance want to own a ER4SR/ER2XR combo, or a ER4XR/ER2SE combo.. to compliment each other, then that would make sense! If you do happen to have a lot of money, then just get all four :)
My personal preference is ER4SR<ER4XR=ER2SE<ER2XR.. but again this preference can certainly be altered depending on source and type of music..even time of day!
Thx for clearing it up, I don't need the SR/XR combo, I don't feel any lack of bass from my SR, and I certainly don't have infinite money. I already have to deal with my wife for the budget. :sweat_smile:

Mar 6, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #16,525 of 19,246
if the mood hits it's nice to have both, but i find I'm happy with either. and I'm fortunate enough to have got all of mine new for very good deals. nonetheless, from my li.ited experience I'd probably be happy with nothing but the er2xr. still going to try the er2se more. but the er4 has it's advantages in some small ways. i just prefer the tone and timbre of the dd, and what causes that i don't know, but it does sound different with basically the same response.

Mar 6, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #16,526 of 19,246
Hi, i 'm always been curious about these ER4,i never tried them (but with my small ears it will certainly be much more confortable than most of iems with big shell)
I definitely do appreciate the size of the ER4's vs huge multidriver shells. I would also recommend you pick up the tip sampler pack and give foams/double flanges a shot if you don't find the default tips don't work out for you.

Update on double flanges: My ears still get super itchy after a hour or two despite using my ER4XR daily :<

Mar 7, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #16,527 of 19,246
Returned my ER4XR within a week. The sound is fine, but the ergonomics doesn't do it for me. We all know that human ear canal points slightly upward-forward into our skull. With the 120 degree between the earphone and the cable exit, the angle is actually perfect for wearing cable-down. However, for some reason Etymotic thought it is a good idea to add some weight to the cable by putting some nice aluminum on the Y-splitter. The extra cable weight adds to microphonics, making wearing the cable around the ear an necessity (especially when ER4 is not tuned to compensate the bass loss from microphonics). Yet, combine the 120 degree and the slight upward-forward ear canal, the cable exits at a weird angle when wearing the ER4 cable-up, making it impossible to loop the cable securely around my ears.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #16,528 of 19,246
I definitely do appreciate the size of the ER4's vs huge multidriver shells. I would also recommend you pick up the tip sampler pack and give foams/double flanges a shot if you don't find the default tips don't work out for you.

Update on double flanges: My ears still get super itchy after a hour or two despite using my ER4XR daily :<

This may be worth trying to help with comfort and decreasing itchiness: Oto-Ease lubricant 0.5 ounce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VQDVF...abc_MNDRQ32ZJC9HTW9E6AEB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

My mom’s an audiologist and she recommended I try it with my Etymotics when I had some comfort issues. I don’t use it too often now but I did find it would help at times. You need just the tiniest amount on your fingertip, then rub it around the Ety tip to lube it up.

Mar 7, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #16,529 of 19,246
Returned my ER4XR within a week. The sound is fine, but the ergonomics doesn't do it for me. We all know that human ear canal points slightly upward-forward into our skull. With the 120 degree between the earphone and the cable exit, the angle is actually perfect for wearing cable-down. However, for some reason Etymotic thought it is a good idea to add some weight to the cable by putting some nice aluminum on the Y-splitter. The extra cable weight adds to microphonics, making wearing the cable around the ear an necessity (especially when ER4 is not tuned to compensate the bass loss from microphonics). Yet, combine the 120 degree and the slight upward-forward ear canal, the cable exits at a weird angle when wearing the ER4 cable-up, making it impossible to loop the cable securely around my ears.
I definitely hear you on the cable looping being a bit odd. The way the connector to the IEM body points outwards doesnt help much in that sense.
This may be worth trying to help with comfort and decreasing itchiness: Oto-Ease lubricant 0.5 ounce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VQDVF...abc_MNDRQ32ZJC9HTW9E6AEB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

My mom’s an audiologist and she recommended I try it with my Etymotics when I had some comfort issues. I don’t use it too often now but I did find it would help at times. You need just the tiniest amount on your fingertip, then rub it around the Ety tip to lube it up.
Oh gosh. Ear lube for deep penetration:sweat_smile: I am amused that its made by Westone. Must be audiophile grade! I'll give it a try.

Mar 8, 2021 at 1:49 AM Post #16,530 of 19,246
if anyone cares to try it, this is my eq that makes the er2xr sound more neutral. slight changes, but opens things up nicely.

2021-03-08 00_49_34-Window.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back