If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Mar 11, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #16,546 of 19,246
I'm still waiting dor that perfect dynamic driver etymotic somke day. for now, despite maybe being a touch dark in some way, the er2xr has the most natural sound to me. er4xr has better response, but sounds less natural.
I like the ER2 with the brown filter too get a treble shelf boost.

Mar 12, 2021 at 1:27 AM Post #16,548 of 19,246
Shouer EJ07 is the better Ety. Thats all there is to it. It's the same signature but badass subbass, awesome wideness, 3D depth.
graph looks pretty good. price a bit steep. interesting though. got one you can loan me? :wink:

Mar 12, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #16,550 of 19,246
Shouer EJ07 is the better Ety. Thats all there is to it. It's the same signature but badass subbass, awesome wideness, 3D depth.
Yeah, right. Etyheads hear it all the time that there is something out there better than ER4:relaxed:
Not like there is no need to try other options though. Depends on what exactly you're looking for.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #16,551 of 19,246
er4b is airy because it has a treble shelf eq baked in by the hardware. er4s and er4b are identical earphones with different electrical components that shelf the trble in different amounts.

the er4p has a small resistor, the er4s has a larger resistor that increases the treble. the er4b adds a capacitor rc type circuit i believe to further increase the treble. that's why you can buy and er4 and swap cables to change the model you have.

in that regard, the er4sr is almost the same response as the er4s, but you can't change cables like you used to. so the er4b should be noticeably brighter (it is to me). airy, yes, but most people will find it thin and lacking bass. it was geared towards binaural recordings (hence the b moniker) and does super on those, but for common music it is probably not ideal, although if you like there's nothing wrong with that. but it won't be accurately portraying the tonal balance. now you could just eq in some lows and have a slightly u shaped etymoic sound. but I'd opt for the s myself or sr.

and i agree that the s with eq sounds better than the xr variants. but without eq i prefer the xr most of the time as the sr is more dynamic and transparent sounding, but lacks any low end that give the realistic bass response. you can hear it fine, but tonally it doesn't sound speaker like or accurare from a mixing engineers point of view...

I'm still waiting dor that perfect dynamic driver etymotic somke day. for now, despite maybe being a touch dark in some way, the er2xr has the most natural sound to me. er4xr has better response, but sounds less natural.
hmmm interesting take regarding the accuracy there. Yeah, I've also been thinking about that. It's airy, I like it, but I guess the B might be a bit less accurate. Now... will I spend 250 usd for the SR...? Just because I'm curious? Decision decision :D Thanks a lot for the answer btw.

Mar 12, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #16,552 of 19,246
hmmm interesting take regarding the accuracy there. Yeah, I've also been thinking about that. It's airy, I like it, but I guess the B might be a bit less accurate. Now... will I spend 250 usd for the SR...? Just because I'm curious? Decision decision :D Thanks a lot for the answer btw.
Er4sr are still $129 in adorama. If you can get er4sr from adorama I guess it will make your choice easier. 😉

Edit: forgot to add the link.
https://www.adorama.com/etyer4sr.ht...dV3iVCmUkEV3WVJRzMBUs0&utm_source=rflaid62905

Mar 12, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #16,553 of 19,246
Mar 13, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #16,554 of 19,246
Wow. This thread brings back memories. I think mine were eventually trashed but I remember the ER4’s were all I could afford until I saved up to Shure 53x
The triple flang tips were the best seal but not the most comfortable.
I didn’t realise they still existed!

Mar 15, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #16,558 of 19,246
I have created a new thread for Etymotic:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/etymotic-discussion-impressions-index-in-1st-post.956629/

I am not trying to compete with this thread... :wink:
In fact, 1 of the goals for my new thread is to serve as an index for everything Etymotic.
The index (that I will keep updating) on the 1st post already includes a link to this thread.

I am writing up short impressions and comparison between the ER3SE and ER3XR - should be done in a day or two, and will post it there.
After that - I plan to write impressions of the ER4SR and compare it to the ER3SE.

I know people have done it before! Not reading other impressions until I am done with mine, to keep it unbiased by others' opinions...

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:56 PM Post #16,559 of 19,246
Anyone recommends any good cheap portable amp-dac for er4sr? What about tempotec Sonata HD Pro? I was thinking of buying this at some point.

Mar 16, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #16,560 of 19,246
Anyone recommends any good cheap portable amp-dac for er4sr? What about tempotec Sonata HD Pro? I was thinking of buying this at some point.

In terms of objective audio performance, the Apple USB-C to Headphone Jack Adapter is all one actually needs - flat FR unloaded (should be naturally the case nowadays but some devices even fail in this area), excellently low output impedance below 0.5 Ohms, very good hiss performance (even better than the already great iBasso DX90), surpasses Red Book standards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back