If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Mar 8, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #16,531 of 19,253
Anyway, I just bought er4sr, maybe along the line I will buy the er2se someday.
Don't. ER4SR and ER2SE sound more or less identical in my experience with ER4SR being superior in almost all aspects overall.
You are wasting money getting any of the SE versions if you have ER4SR.

That said, you can try ER2XR if you have ER4SR if you want more bass.
To be honest, if you have ER4 series, there's really no need to have either ER2 or ER3 other than for collectible purposes (or to have the 2XR experience).

Mar 8, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #16,532 of 19,253
Don't. ER4SR and ER2SE sound more or less identical in my experience with ER4SR being superior in almost all aspects overall.
You are wasting money getting any of the SE versions if you have ER4SR.

That said, you can try ER2XR if you have ER4SR if you want more bass.
To be honest, if you have ER4 series, there's really no need to have either ER2 or ER3 other than for collectible purposes (or to have the 2XR experience).

Even then the ER4SR can mimic 2XR's bass with a low shelf boost with much better decay/detail.

Mar 9, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #16,533 of 19,253
Yesterday I received the Er2xr with Etymotion Bluetooth cable. I am a big fan of the Er4xr, my favorite iem by far. Wise advice from this thread helped me getting those. I wanted a good sound quality Bluetooth solution and I believe the purchase was a success.
The cable is extremely lightweight and flexible those are good aspects. The remote controls: play/pause work with everything I have tried so far: IPhone xr; Astell SR25 and Sony Nwa-55L. The volume up and down works on the Iphone and Sony but it doesn’t on the Astel.
Pairing is extremely simple, only one device at a time (two would have been better) and it remembers the last device that has been paired. I tried a few phone calls and it works well. I am told that the micro works fine.Battery life seems to be according to specs. I have been running the thing fo more than 7 hours and no problem.
Now the best part, the sound quality is amazing. I still prefer my Er4xr which sounds somehow more refined. The Er2xr sounds harsher to my ears but absolutely excellent and very good value. AAC connection to the Iphone sounds perfect and even maybe a bit better with AptxHD with the Sony and Astell. I went for a walk yesterday with the Iphone and sound, incredible detail, isolation, immersion in the sound, it was the Etymotic experience that I love and expected. By the way, unlike some rewiews I have read, sound volume is perfectly fine with my Iphone, plenty of room to raise the volume. Sound is just great.
sound quality is the best I have heard in Bluetooth. I have the Jabra 65t which is very practical but the sound quality is rather low. I also have the Sony wh1000m3 headphone. Those are amazing for flights with the noise cancellation. The sound is too bass heavy. I tend to use them with cable in order to eq the sound and lower the bass. At the end then I use them not as Bluetooth. In Bluetooth mode I prefer the Etymotion.
Now criticism, the cable is truly peculiar. If you use it on its own it moves too much and microphonics appear. You need to use the included shirt clips so that the cable doesn’t move up and down or sideways and also to reduce microphonics. Also beware that the volume controls are so close to the right iem that it is, at least for me, impossible to use confortably with the cable going over the ear as I do with the Er4xr with cable. Once the shirt clips are on, the cable is confortable to wear.
All in all, very happy with the purchase and confirming my status as Etymotic fan. Looking forward to the future releases!
I include some pics. The tips are the Spinfit CP800 that work fine for me, although I am still doing tip rolling and using tripple, double etc

EB967FEE-C747-45BD-9471-BCF28E92606D.jpeg
4893648A-A074-4CE1-A223-186413674E05.jpeg

5823C99D-808E-41F3-B9D1-4916EBAD68A6.jpeg
DBC8EA4C-937A-4F5A-8EDD-0473150A9A25.jpeg

Mar 9, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #16,534 of 19,253
Yesterday I received the Er2xr with Etymotion Bluetooth cable. I am a big fan of the Er4xr, my favorite iem by far. Wise advice from this thread helped me getting those. I wanted a good sound quality Bluetooth solution and I believe the purchase was a success.
The cable is extremely lightweight and flexible those are good aspects. The remote controls: play/pause work with everything I have tried so far: IPhone xr; Astell SR25 and Sony Nwa-55L. The volume up and down works on the Iphone and Sony but it doesn’t on the Astel.
Pairing is extremely simple, only one device at a time (two would have been better) and it remembers the last device that has been paired. I tried a few phone calls and it works well. I am told that the micro works fine.Battery life seems to be according to specs. I have been running the thing fo more than 7 hours and no problem.
Now the best part, the sound quality is amazing. I still prefer my Er4xr which sounds somehow more refined. The Er2xr sounds harsher to my ears but absolutely excellent and very good value. AAC connection to the Iphone sounds perfect and even maybe a bit better with AptxHD with the Sony and Astell. I went for a walk yesterday with the Iphone and sound, incredible detail, isolation, immersion in the sound, it was the Etymotic experience that I love and expected. By the way, unlike some rewiews I have read, sound volume is perfectly fine with my Iphone, plenty of room to raise the volume. Sound is just great.
sound quality is the best I have heard in Bluetooth. I have the Jabra 65t which is very practical but the sound quality is rather low. I also have the Sony wh1000m3 headphone. Those are amazing for flights with the noise cancellation. The sound is too bass heavy. I tend to use them with cable in order to eq the sound and lower the bass. At the end then I use them not as Bluetooth. In Bluetooth mode I prefer the Etymotion.
Now criticism, the cable is truly peculiar. If you use it on its own it moves too much and microphonics appear. You need to use the included shirt clips so that the cable doesn’t move up and down or sideways and also to reduce microphonics. Also beware that the volume controls are so close to the right iem that it is, at least for me, impossible to use confortably with the cable going over the ear as I do with the Er4xr with cable. Once the shirt clips are on, the cable is confortable to wear.
All in all, very happy with the purchase and confirming my status as Etymotic fan. Looking forward to the future releases!
I include some pics. The tips are the Spinfit CP800 that work fine for me, although I am still doing tip rolling and using tripple, double etc

Another Ety fan made an ETY er2xr
tuned version of TWS:

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #16,535 of 19,253
Hi, head fi.
So, I still have some disposable money from Christmas. I don't know why I'm super curious with ER4SR. Currently rocking ER4B and previously having ER4XR. Will it be worth it? How much of a difference in sound sig? Or is it just too similar? I'm not looking for an upgrade or sidegrade though, just super curious.

Help me, please.

Thank you.

Mar 9, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #16,536 of 19,253
Hi, head fi.
So, I still have some disposable money from Christmas. I don't know why I'm super curious with ER4SR. Currently rocking ER4B and previously having ER4XR. Will it be worth it? How much of a difference in sound sig? Or is it just too similar? I'm not looking for an upgrade or sidegrade though, just super curious.

Help me, please.

Thank you.
As an er4 old gen user and being familiar with 4SR, I would say you're good with the current setup

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #16,537 of 19,253
Now the best part, the sound quality is amazing. I still prefer my Er4xr which sounds somehow more refined. The Er2xr sounds harsher to my ears but absolutely excellent and very good value.
Assuming you have both ER4XR and ER2XR, you can pop the Etymotion cables off the ER2 and onto the ER4.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #16,538 of 19,253
Hi, head fi.

Help me, please.

Thank you.
I had the ER4P for years before one channel went out a year ago and I bought the ER4XR. I recognize the same Etymotic "house" sound in the 4XR, but I'm not sure I hear the same crispness of the ER4P -- like the 4XR has been smoothed out a bit, maybe?? EtyDave (Ety employee) says the new 4XR/SR are as accurate, maybe a bit more accurate, than the older ER4 models, and I'm not going to argue with him, but my brain remembers the ER4P a little differently than what I think I'm hearing in the 4XR.

Having said that, you may not hear much difference between your 4B vs the new 4SR, except that the higher impedance of the 4B may make the new 4SR a bit more responsive with phones, DAP's etc. The 4B can sound fuller with amp'ing.

Anyway, I couldn't help myself when I found a used / mostly unused ER4P for a great price and bought it, so I'm waiting for it to come in a couple of days. I am curious to hear them both side-by-side to put the argument in my head to rest!

Mar 9, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #16,539 of 19,253
As an er4 old gen user and being familiar with 4SR, I would say you're good with the current setup
Alright, then. Thank you for the answer. I guess my wallet is safe for now :D
I had the ER4P for years before one channel went out a year ago and I bought the ER4XR. I recognize the same Etymotic "house" sound in the 4XR, but I'm not sure I hear the same crispness of the ER4P -- like the 4XR has been smoothed out a bit, maybe?? EtyDave (Ety employee) says the new 4XR/SR are as accurate, maybe a bit more accurate, than the older ER4 models, and I'm not going to argue with him, but my brain remembers the ER4P a little differently than what I think I'm hearing in the 4XR.

Having said that, you may not hear much difference between your 4B vs the new 4SR, except that the higher impedance of the 4B may make the new 4SR a bit more responsive with phones, DAP's etc. The 4B can sound fuller with amp'ing.

Anyway, I couldn't help myself when I found a used / mostly unused ER4P for a great price and bought it, so I'm waiting for it to come in a couple of days. I am curious to hear them both side-by-side to put the argument in my head to rest!
Yeah, I remember the treble was so smooth on ER4XR. Quite good, not fatiguing, but after listening to ER4B, gosh, the B is so much more airy. Can't say whether P or S are as airy, but B is definitely more airy than XR.

Regarding the similarities between the SR and the B, well, I guess I need to save up for some other stuff instead. Thank you for saving my wallet!

And can't wait to hear your ER4P test.

Mar 10, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #16,540 of 19,253
Another Ety fan made an ETY er2xr
tuned version of TWS:

Interesting video. To me the Etymotic experience is based on the extraordinary level of passive isolation that immerses you in the music and the incredible detail you can perceive in the music. Tuning also but it, at least for me, only part of the sound.

Mar 10, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #16,541 of 19,253
Assuming you have both ER4XR and ER2XR, you can pop the Etymotion cables off the ER2 and onto the ER4.
Of course you are right, I have connected the Etymotion to the Er4xr and the result is excellent. Here with the Sr25 with AptxHd.
Comparing the two, Er4xr and Er2xr, I prefer the first but the second is excellent. I will leave the Er4xr with the cable for more attentive listening and home use. The Er2xr will stay with the Bluetooth module. It is more than fine. I do not want to be changing the cables all the time.
The Etymotion is excellent provided you can live with the weird need of using the shirt clips.

5B896959-1779-4338-A906-8959CC9D1BDC.jpeg+

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #16,542 of 19,253
Alright, then. Thank you for the answer. I guess my wallet is safe for now :D

Yeah, I remember the treble was so smooth on ER4XR. Quite good, not fatiguing, but after listening to ER4B, gosh, the B is so much more airy. Can't say whether P or S are as airy, but B is definitely more airy than XR.

Regarding the similarities between the SR and the B, well, I guess I need to save up for some other stuff instead. Thank you for saving my wallet!

And can't wait to hear your ER4P test.

er4b is airy because it has a treble shelf eq baked in by the hardware. er4s and er4b are identical earphones with different electrical components that shelf the trble in different amounts.

the er4p has a small resistor, the er4s has a larger resistor that increases the treble. the er4b adds a capacitor rc type circuit i believe to further increase the treble. that's why you can buy and er4 and swap cables to change the model you have.

in that regard, the er4sr is almost the same response as the er4s, but you can't change cables like you used to. so the er4b should be noticeably brighter (it is to me). airy, yes, but most people will find it thin and lacking bass. it was geared towards binaural recordings (hence the b moniker) and does super on those, but for common music it is probably not ideal, although if you like there's nothing wrong with that. but it won't be accurately portraying the tonal balance. now you could just eq in some lows and have a slightly u shaped etymoic sound. but I'd opt for the s myself or sr.

and i agree that the s with eq sounds better than the xr variants. but without eq i prefer the xr most of the time as the sr is more dynamic and transparent sounding, but lacks any low end that give the realistic bass response. you can hear it fine, but tonally it doesn't sound speaker like or accurare from a mixing engineers point of view...

I'm still waiting dor that perfect dynamic driver etymotic somke day. for now, despite maybe being a touch dark in some way, the er2xr has the most natural sound to me. er4xr has better response, but sounds less natural.

Mar 10, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #16,543 of 19,253
and i agree that the s with eq sounds better than the xr variants. but without eq i prefer the xr most of the time as the sr is more dynamic and transparent sounding, but lacks any low end that give the realistic bass response. you can hear it fine, but tonally it doesn't sound speaker like or accurare from a mixing engineers point of view...
Can't have it all, right? You might have fuller bass but some losses in midrange and vice versa.
Speakers are not enclosed and that should be a significant advantage to transparency coupled with massive bass output.

I'm still waiting dor that perfect dynamic driver etymotic somke day.
2-way system, two dynamic drivers :grinning:

Mar 11, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #16,544 of 19,253
I still remember how much I enjoyed my old ER-4S back in the old days.
ER-4S running from the iPod --> RSA P51 Mustang. I really thought was the best it could get and very portable too.

This picture is from 2012:
6871444581_3e9c6500b8_o.jpg

Some years ago I changed to the ER4XR and as people in here know, it CAN be the end-game for IEM's. At least I am no longer searching. I used to have the UERM or the InEar Stagediver SD2 on my wishlist. But for the price ER-4XR has been all I wanted. Together with the ER4XR I have used a lot of different portable amps.

As of lately my ER4XR has gotten a completely new life, after I changed my portable DAC/amplifier to the EarMen TR-Amp. The TR-Amp is so energetic and drives the ER4XR very well. I really enjoy this combination.

So, all this is to say, that if anyone is looking for a good companion for their ER4XR for portable use I can highly recommend the TR-Amp.

51026519362_59651bee51_k.jpg

51026416446_6500e5bf3a_k.jpg

Mar 11, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #16,545 of 19,253
The 2XR is quite a bargain - it punches way, way above its weight. It gives you a bit more of the bass presence that is seemingly hard to get via a BA design. It is tuned nearly perfectly for my taste, right out of the box.

But it simply cannot match the 4XR's resolution. I can see how it could easily be endgame for many folks - it punches way above its weight too. My Sony IER-M7 gives me greater bass weight (even though it is also BA), and it projects a larger soundstage. But the 4XR also has near perfect tuning, so I look to it when not using EQ, and I look to it when I want to peer more deeply into a musical performance. It can extract a few more details that the M7 misses.

Users need to be realistic about their preferred music; the 2XR is perhaps a better choice with bass heavy music, and the 4XR better for acoustic/sparsely arranged music. The M7 is pretty close to the best of both - but at more than double the price of the 4XR...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back