If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 4, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #16,006 of 19,246
I see. I'm curious, what difference or differences specifically? Anything specific other than possible changes in the cable?

Besides what have been mentioned above, I have also seen reports of early MMCX socket failure and driver imbalance. There is even a silly case of mismatch driver serial (the number on the driver doesn't match the one on the certificate) that make me wonder what the QC personal was doing when (s)he was doing the final checkup. These would have been very unusual a few years earlier, though I won't rule out maybe they are all isolated cases.

Jan 4, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #16,007 of 19,246
Sure glad that my post helped you score a good deal on a set of ER4SR.

In case anyone else interested in getting a set of the Etymotic earphones here are the links to the items with the discounted price:

ER4SR ($139): https://www.adorama.com/etyer4sr.html?emailprice=t
ER4XR ($139): https://www.adorama.com/etyer4xr.html?sdtid=14689085&emailprice=t
ER2SE ($59): https://www.adorama.com/etyer2se.html?sdtid=14643662&emailprice=t
ER3XR ($74.99): https://www.adorama.com/etyer3xr.html?sdtid=14643662&emailprice=t
ER3XR ($74.99): https://www.adorama.com/etyer3se.html?sdtid=14643662&emailprice=t

Can't take credit for finding the above deals but just repeating information I found on one of those deals forum.

BTW, anyone here care to share his or her opinion on the balanced cable for the ER4XR? Is it a worthwhile upgrade?

Also Brian, thanks for your help! :)

Thanks!

Last link is to the ER3SE not XR :wink: That said, I pulled the trigger on a pair of ER4SR, couldn't really pass up that deal. I'm upgrading from an ER3SE. I've always been a fan of Etymotic's in-house DF neutral sound, so these will be a treat to pair with my Etymotion cable :p

Jan 4, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #16,008 of 19,246
Last link is to the ER3SE not XR :wink: That said, I pulled the trigger on a pair of ER4SR, couldn't really pass up that deal. I'm upgrading from an ER3SE. I've always been a fan of Etymotic's in-house DF neutral sound, so these will be a treat to pair with my Etymotion cable :p

Opps! Fixed that, thanks for pointing that out!

Oh BTW, when I first ran into these I bought XR version of both ER3 & ER4 and after listening to both of them I decided to keep the ER4XR because the ER3XR when compared with the ER4XR actually sounded 'cloudy'/muffled.

I think you will like the ER4XR when you got your order.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #16,009 of 19,246
I honestly think some people are overreacting a bit. Or stuck in nostalgia.

I've had a broken shirt clip and after I contacted their support some days ago another one was shipped to me in less than 24 hours. This isn't bad customer support to me.
chrome_n6x9frA9YJ.png

With the company sold to Lucid and the factory seems to have moved completely to Vietnam, what we have seen here are reports of general drop in build quality
I have also seen postings floating around the internet on ex-employees complained about change of its more family style management to a more profit orienting management.

Unless people show me pics comparing both batches, I will give the benefit of doubt to Etymotic. Also, the ex-employees part sounds like fanfic.

Meanwhile, I think I am going to order another pair of custom ER4S because that's the sound that makes me fall in love with Etymotic in the first place.

I personally if liked a product that much I wouldn't buy a counterfeit version but rather a real ER4S. But that's me.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #16,010 of 19,246
Opps! Fixed that, thanks for pointing that out!

Oh BTW, when I first ran into these I bought XR version of both ER3 & ER4 and after listening to both of them I decided to keep the ER4XR because the ER3XR when compared with the ER4XR actually sounded 'cloudy'/muffled.

I think you will like the ER4XR when you got your order.

A little confused, I got the ER4SR not the XR

I honestly think some people are overreacting a bit. Or stuck in nostalgia.

I've had a broken shirt clip and after I contacted their support some days ago another one was shipped to me in less than 24 hours. This isn't bad customer support to me.
chrome_n6x9frA9YJ.png

Unless people show me pics comparing both batches, I will give the benefit of doubt to Etymotic. Also, the ex-employees part sounds like fanfic.

I personally if liked a product that much I wouldn't buy a counterfeit version but rather a real ER4S. But that's me.

This was before the buy out, I’m not sure if they’d still do this today though. I purchased an HF2 eons back. I think 3 years latera New iPod touch came out (I think 5th generation). I purchased it to find out my remote and mic no longer worked. Emailed Etymotic inquiring about price to replace them.Sent them in. They told me they couldn’t reproduce the issue so they replaced the HF2 that were two years out of warranty for free.

Jan 5, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #16,011 of 19,246
So far, what we've heard about the quality drop in the earphones is anecdotal evidence. I'm looking at my made in Vietnam ER4 and it looks and feels rock solid. The supposed thinner lower quality cable in the made in Vietnam batches don't make sense. Need to see pics before I believe it!

Jan 5, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #16,013 of 19,246
I know but I imagine that the difference between the ER3's and ER4's might be similar for the XR and SR versions.

You can confirm if my hunch is correct when you get your ER4SR.

It is my understanding that the ER4SR and ER3SE should both have the original Etymotic house sound (DF neutral) while the XR variants have a bass boost. I know the SE definitely does not have any sort of bass boost on them.

Jan 5, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #16,014 of 19,246
Here’s pics of my recently purchased er4sr from Adorama (used). It’s the newest Lucid Audio version- sounds amazing and I actually prefer the bass on the er4sr vs the er2xr (listening to the last 20 seconds “Walkies” by Vulfpeck and the er4sr has a bass drum texture that is so real!!) I’m excited to try with different portable amps/dacs, but I’m getting a great experience out of the apple dongle so far. My only complaint is the thin plastic cable at the split, but I can easily forgive

Attachments

• DF05057B-B068-4949-B9E0-88341CD57C6A.jpeg
    DF05057B-B068-4949-B9E0-88341CD57C6A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • ED7D22A9-B133-47D2-AF09-D481D1298DBB.jpeg
    ED7D22A9-B133-47D2-AF09-D481D1298DBB.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • EA8BE089-D090-4365-A1FF-6082A3936FC5.jpeg
    EA8BE089-D090-4365-A1FF-6082A3936FC5.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #16,015 of 19,246
Here’s pics of my recently purchased er4sr from Adorama (used). It’s the newest Lucid Audio version- sounds amazing and I actually prefer the bass on the er4sr vs the er2xr (listening to the last 20 seconds “Walkies” by Vulfpeck and the er4sr has a bass drum texture that is so real!!) I’m excited to try with different portable amps/discs, but I’m getting a great experience out of the apple dongle so far. My only complaint is the thin plastic cable at the split, but I can easily forgive

I forgot the ER4 were volume matched within 1dB.

Jan 6, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #16,016 of 19,246
So far, what we've heard about the quality drop in the earphones is anecdotal evidence. I'm looking at my made in Vietnam ER4 and it looks and feels rock solid. The supposed thinner lower quality cable in the made in Vietnam batches don't make sense. Need to see pics before I believe it!

Can anyone who has both post pics of both the old and new cables side by side? Or can anyone confirm that it's true based on their experience? If the new cable is actually thinner it should be easy to confirm it.

Jan 6, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #16,017 of 19,246
Can anyone who has both post pics of both the old and new cables side by side? Or can anyone confirm that it's true based on their experience? If the new cable is actually thinner it should be easy to confirm it.

If the physical wire is thinner yeah. Though they could also be sneaky and use less copper and more rubber or something. But I would like to know.

The other issue is that they could also use different materials for said wire as well. And as you use a wire the exterior will wear because it rubs up against stuff.

Jan 7, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #16,018 of 19,246
Got a er4p, house sound is pretty much the same as the er3xr and er2xr, very consistent.

I wonder how the er4p differs to the er4xr/sr now...

Jan 7, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #16,020 of 19,246
ye it's me again. I am an overseas buyer from hong kong. I have ordered an er2se from Adorama and ship it by USPS. After it arrived at the USPS facility, it did not move again since 13/12. Is it normal for USPS? The products I bought from Amazon have already arrived before Christmas lol....I have already opened a missing case in USPS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back