If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 3, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #15,991 of 19,246
I had the same feeling when I saw the multi driver surprise.
But then after thinking it over again, I guess that if they keep the current line or spend the revenue from the new multi driver line to further improve (if possible) their existing products, it cannot be that bad. A company just have to develop and innovate to stay in business as long as they keep their original DNA.

What is Etymotic's DNA if not: First, its insistence of the original Etymotic FR curve that should be both (1) function over form and (2) above and beyond the number of drivers' number. Secondly, its lasting build quality and iconic design and lastly, its top notch customer service? For many years, Etymotic doesn't see itself as much as an IEM company than it is an hearing aid company and so it can up hold what the company's name means: 'True to Sound'. I can see the reasoning behind the XR line as they are trying to please the market trend but it is nonetheless a deviation of its core house FR curve. With the company sold to Lucid and the factory seems to have moved completely to Vietnam, what we have seen here are reports of general drop in build quality and much worst, degradation of its once legendary customer service. I have also seen postings floating around the internet on ex-employees complained about change of its more family style management to a more profit orienting management. So it lets me wonder just how much has changed since Lucid takes over Etymotic - are we simply looking at the old Etymotic trying to re-invent itself at the new era or are we really looking at Lucid trying to maximize the Etymotic' 'brand power' while fundamentally changing what used to make Etymotic great in the first place? Well, I don't have an answer - not yet. But I am not optimistic about it either. Meanwhile, I think I am going to order another pair of custom ER4S because that's the sound that makes me fall in love with Etymotic in the first place.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #15,992 of 19,246
I love the way people are judging this item based off solely a prototype image off of Instagram.

Why is everyone just assuming these are going to be bass canons that will sound completely different from their house sound?

Maybe they are still going for their house sound but are wanting to go for a huge soundstage with a more textured bass and high end extension? Who knows? We don't.

Jan 3, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #15,994 of 19,246
I also welcome the idea of naturally wearing a set of etys over ear to reduce cable noise. And I bet you will be able to change the cable more easily without a keyway being required as in the previous series.

I'm actually mixed about the keyway connector. I have the Etymotion BT cable with my ER3SE right now, would love to have compatibility with their new multi-driver design.

Jan 3, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #15,995 of 19,246
I agree with ClieOS. IMO, the last ER4 iteration from Etymotic USA prior to the sale to Lucid pretty much ends the so-called "house sound" as well as form and function. Truth is that the sound, form, and function are very long in the tooth, which is a good thing for some and not so for others. I've always had a love-hate relationship with Etymotics. While it stayed pure and unchanged for many years, other domestic brands such as Westone, UE, and Shure started the driver count war. The "honest truth" that became the Etys' "house sound" along with the trade mark diffuse field response are the reasons why the ER4S has been the most repetitive (bought/sold 12 times) purchase of my twenty years in this hobby.

I recall conversations here around a decade ago regarding more drivers in the ER4. My thought was that, "if it isn't broken why change/fix it?" A LOT has changed over the last decade with IEMs, for better or worse. A glimpse of this new, multi-driver Etymotic may be an Eytmotic by brand name only, but the heritage and so-called DNA is lost, IMO. All the superlatives from my wish list with the ER4S has long sailed. I wonder if this new multi-driver model will be just another Chi-Fi variant of another model/brand that are often clones of each other.

Jan 4, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #15,997 of 19,246
I love the way people are judging this item based off solely a prototype image off of Instagram.

Why is everyone just assuming these are going to be bass canons that will sound completely different from their house sound?

Maybe they are still going for their house sound but are wanting to go for a huge soundstage with a more textured bass and high end extension? Who knows? We don't.
Can those things be measured or proved with a technical approach? Cause otherwise it's nothing more than your typical marketing bull epithets for whatever is selling.
If I'm to speak from personal subjective impression, most of anything I would want next flagship to have more body to its sound with everything else ER4 is known for.

Jan 4, 2021 at 4:49 AM Post #15,998 of 19,246
With the company sold to Lucid and the factory seems to have moved completely to Vietnam, what we have seen here are reports of general drop in build quality and much worst, degradation of its once legendary customer service.

The customer service is much worse, no question about it. But what general drop in build quality, could you be specific about this? Which models, what problems? I've seen posts about a cable becoming thinner, that's about it.

Jan 4, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #15,999 of 19,246
The customer service is much worse, no question about it. But what general drop in build quality, could you be specific about this? Which models, what problems? I've seen posts about a cable becoming thinner, that's about it.

I am referencing the difference between earlier US built ER4SR/XR and the later Vietnam built ER4SR/XR. Also, there are cases reported on another forum that indicated the Vietnam factory seems to have much leaner QC process. As I used to build cable for ER4, I got more PM asking for help dealing with failed cable over time.

Jan 4, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #16,002 of 19,246
Do you speak for the everyone on Headfi?

They definitely don’t, because as a long time Er-4P/S user (7 years?) I’ve been curious about trying the “new” Er-4SR but never pulled the trigger because my original pair is still working great and look new... but I saw that link the other night and was able to buy the SR for 136$ so wow! I’m excited, they come on Friday!

Jan 4, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #16,003 of 19,246
I am referencing the difference between earlier US built ER4SR/XR and the later Vietnam built ER4SR/XR.

I see. I'm curious, what difference or differences specifically? Anything specific other than possible changes in the cable?

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #16,004 of 19,246
I see. I'm curious, what difference or differences specifically? Anything specific other than possible changes in the cable?
From what I noticed so far, aside from the cable change, and at least from memory, it seems that the paint job of the earpieces and y split holder from the new etys will get easilly chipped off compared to the older version from US. This I could not validate though as I no longer have the old version.

Jan 4, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #16,005 of 19,246
They definitely don’t, because as a long time Er-4P/S user (7 years?) I’ve been curious about trying the “new” Er-4SR but never pulled the trigger because my original pair is still working great and look new... but I saw that link the other night and was able to buy the SR for 136$ so wow! I’m excited, they come on Friday!

Sure glad that my post helped you score a good deal on a set of ER4SR.

In case anyone else interested in getting a set of the Etymotic earphones here are the links to the items with the discounted price:

ER4SR ($139): https://www.adorama.com/etyer4sr.html?emailprice=t
ER4XR ($139): https://www.adorama.com/etyer4xr.html?sdtid=14689085&emailprice=t
ER2SE ($59): https://www.adorama.com/etyer2se.html?sdtid=14643662&emailprice=t
ER3XR ($74.99): https://www.adorama.com/etyer3xr.html?sdtid=14643662&emailprice=t
ER3SE ($74.99): https://www.adorama.com/etyer3se.html?sdtid=14643662&emailprice=t

Can't take credit for finding the above deals but just repeating information I found on one of those deals forum.

BTW, anyone here care to share his or her opinion on the balanced cable for the ER4XR? Is it a worthwhile upgrade?

Also Brian, thanks for your help! :)

Thanks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back