If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 1, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #15,976 of 19,251
Probably going to be harman-esque tuning. :frowning2: I'm guessing Lucid Audio bought Etymotic because they want to make money, and if you want your headphones to appeal to the most amount of people you do something close to the harman target. If it is flat FR I would be genuinely surprised but I seriously doubt it.

Jan 1, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #15,977 of 19,251
The foam ones do. Maybe it was just the glue on a bad batch? The first time I had to stop in a CVS and buy a pair of tweezers to dig one out in a panic.
I did get the foam separated from the inside tube once. It was with tips I had shamelessly overused and washed several times with soap or h2o2. By the time it happened, the foam itself had lost most of its elastic properties and it was more than time to go rest at the tip cemetery anyway.
Otherwise, the only foam I got stuck in my ears were also old Comply foam tips, and the default crap tips for the IE80 back in the day. That's it. I went crazy a few times having to go fish for tips with tweezers in the MiniDSP E.A.R.S where the fake ear really doesn't let go of anything it catches. But even there, I never had issues with Ety tips(foam or not). Don't know if I got lucky so far, or you didn't.

:open_mouth:

R44zYXi.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJe-OzVsg0C/
For as long as I remember I've read posts about how some people wished Ety had more bass, or messages like "Ety is great with one driver, imagine what they could do if they made a multidriver".
The XR move turned out to work pretty well for them AFAIK. So it makes sense that they'd listen to the pleb once again and consider multidriver design.

A few years back, I swore that I would only get IEMs that are tiny, but I can't pretend I'm not curious to try those. Maybe I'll convince myself that they're tiny because they're still smaller than my CIEMs:sweat_smile:.

Jan 1, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #15,978 of 19,251
Jan 1, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #15,979 of 19,251
I tried the dual flange tips that came with my ER4SR today out of curiosity and they sounded horribly muddy and boomy compared to the trip flanges. The seal was of course stronger (but I feel that the trip flanges seal adequately). Is it supposed to be like this?

Jan 2, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #15,980 of 19,251
For as long as I remember I've read posts about how some people wished Ety had more bass, or messages like "Ety is great with one driver, imagine what they could do if they made a multidriver".
The XR move turned out to work pretty well for them AFAIK. So it makes sense that they'd listen to the pleb once again and consider multidriver design.

I'm just waiting to see what the FR chart shows. Since the ER4SR can already be EQ'd into a ER2XR bass wise(8db). Because I doubt going multi BA gonna magically "fix" the ER4SR tuning like most reviewers say.

But then again cue Reddit being on fire how the ER4SR dead because this is now a thing, Despite the Single BA ER4SR holding up to IEM's 3 times it price & responds well to EQ/DSP. Since too many there assume adding a BA woofer or a DD will fix a non issue instead of admitting they don't like DF style bass?, Since the ER2SE has the same bass but with slightly slower decay.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #15,982 of 19,251
I want to thank you people generally and @Carlsan specifically for getting me back on the Etymotic train. They take a bit of fiddling and fussing to get just right, but they’re the only tool I’ve found that allow my mind to suspend disbelief and relax into the sounds. My old ER4P had a failing cable, and I messed about with some other options — less expensive, more expensive, less cable noise, less wire — before the Adorama sale convinced me to give up and return to the one thing that I know will work. The fussing it takes to position the driver, quiet the cable, and maintain the tips is nothing compared to the bothers of trying, tweaking, and rationalizing other gear that, so far, for me, has always fallen short.

Teasing a multi-driver unit makes me worried. Could be that their new ownership wants to pursue features and selling points to maximize profits without regard for the elegance of the well-designed, well-made, well-matched ER4. That’d be okay, though, as long as there is an ER4 buried somewhere in their product portfolio the next time I need a new pair. Or, could be that the multi-driver unit is following traditional Etymotic priorities and is just willing to go further down the curve of diminishing returns. That’d be okay, though, if I start making enough money to justify paying for it.

Anyhow. Sorry about my wallet but glad about my ears.

Jan 3, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #15,984 of 19,251
It is kinda sad for me to see Etymotic becoming just like every other IEM brand.

Jan 3, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #15,985 of 19,251
It is kinda sad for me to see Etymotic becoming just like every other IEM brand.
How so?

BTW, your username is giving me PDA flashbacks.

Jan 3, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #15,986 of 19,251

More Drivers != Better

Don Wilson works at Etymotic...
Quote:

Originally Posted by d_wilson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you need a dual driver IEM, or did some marketing genius convince you that two drivers are better than one?

The argument for multiple drivers holds water when there are physical limitations to filling a large room with sound, and not a 1.4cc volume in your ear canal.

What do you plan to gain from dual driver?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...+double+driver

Unfortunately the original post by @d_wilson was lost when the forum moved to new platform, but here is the re-quote. If you don't know who @d_wilson is - he is the original designer of ER4. Last I know, he left Etymotic in 2018, same year when Etymotic was sold to Lucid.

Jan 3, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #15,987 of 19,251
Unfortunately the original post by @d_wilson was lost when the forum moved to new platform, but here is the re-quote. If you don't know who @d_wilson is - he is the original designer of ER4. Last I know, he left Etymotic in 2018, same year when Etymotic was sold to Lucid.
Ah gotcha.

I bought their ER4XR a few years back and consider them my ultimate IEMs, so I pretty much stopped shopping for others unless I wanted something wireless for working out.

Jan 3, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #15,988 of 19,251

I had the same feeling when I saw the multi driver surprise.
But then after thinking it over again, I guess that if they keep the current line or spend the revenue from the new multi driver line to further improve (if possible) their existing products, it cannot be that bad. A company just have to develop and innovate to stay in business as long as they keep their original DNA.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #15,989 of 19,251
I had the same feeling when I saw the multi driver surprise.
But then after thinking it over again, I guess that if they keep the current line or spend the revenue from the new multi driver line to further improve (if possible) their existing products, it cannot be that bad. A company just have to develop and innovate to stay in business as long as they keep their original DNA.

They admitted that the ER4XR was limited on how much they could boost the bass. The 5SR could have more clarity/detail and deeper bass from using a BA woofer with a less stiff diaphragm, With the XR having more bass. The ER2XR is selling like hot cakes from it more Harman like tuning which the ER4/ER3 can't do without adding the extra +5db bass by EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back