If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Nov 18, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #15,766 of 19,246
Wow thanks. How did you find that link?! It doesn't seem findable on the site directly, it lists it at the normal price...

Considering how long it takes them to repair and replace a cable, and how often they break, it may be worth it to pick up a spare pair!!!

Speaking of which I see that adorama is offering 5 year insurance plan for $69. Might be worthwhile...

URL hacking :) I've noticed when others post deals in the Deals and Discussions Thread that there is also a ?emailPrice=T in the query string, so if I suspect something may be on sale on Adorama, I search and find it normally and then modify the URL in the browser to strip everything after the URI (e.g., etyer4xr.html) and append ?emailPrice=T and then magically note that the price updates -- if indeed there is an email promotional price for that item. :)

Interestingly, I sometimes will get a direct link from Adorama directly in my email since I am subscribed to their newsletter and have a login and have purchased from them before, but often for whatever reason, they don't market all their deals to me, so I have to use this trick to suss out deals. :p

EDIT: the other thing I've noticed is that when sorting by price in a search results listing in Adorama's web site, I will notice something "out of order" in the results, e.g., I will see something for $529, then $499, then suddenly, say something like Focal Elegia for $899, then it goes back to the right sortation and there's an item for $439, and so immediately I click on the "out of order" item, I see the regular, high price, then update the URL in the browser address bar to add emailPrice=T and sure enough, reveal the hidden lower price that makes the "out of order" listing I had seen make sense and actually in order after all. :)

I've actually discovered deals accidentally this way!

For example, here's a listing of all earphones sorted by price descending, several pages into the listing where it's showing $150 Shure SE425, then weirdly it shows the ER4SE at $299 -- which is clearly > $150! :D

https://www.adorama.com/l/?sf=Price...Item-Condition_New-Items&SearchInfo=earphones
Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 6.07.06 AM.png

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #15,767 of 19,246
URL hacking :) I've noticed when others post deals in the Deals and Discussions Thread that there is also a ?emailPrice=T in the query string, so if I suspect something may be on sale on Adorama, I search and find it normally and then modify the URL in the browser to strip everything after the URI (e.g., etyer4xr.html) and append ?emailPrice=T and then magically note that the price updates -- if indeed there is an email promotional price for that item. :)

Interestingly, I sometimes will get a direct link from Adorama directly in my email since I am subscribed to their newsletter and have a login and have purchased from them before, but often for whatever reason, they don't market all their deals to me, so I have to use this trick to suss out deals. :p

EDIT: the other thing I've noticed is that when sorting by price in a search results listing in Adorama's web site, I will notice something "out of order" in the results, e.g., I will see something for $529, then $499, then suddenly, say something like Focal Elegia for $899, then it goes back to the right sortation and there's an item for $439, and so immediately I click on the "out of order" item, I see the regular, high price, then update the URL in the browser address bar to add emailPrice=T and sure enough, reveal the hidden lower price that makes the "out of order" listing I had seen make sense and actually in order after all. :)

I've actually discovered deals accidentally this way!

For example, here's a listing of all earphones sorted by price descending, several pages into the listing where it's showing $150 Shure SE425, then weirdly it shows the ER4SE at $299 -- which is clearly > $150! :D

Wow. That is really excellent work. :D

Nov 18, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #15,768 of 19,246
Thanks a lot for this, just placed my order. If it seems solid when it arrives I'll probably order a spare and be set for a while!

Will try to remember to pop back with some impressions in a few weeks.

This post was about this cable:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2m-4ft-Silver-Plated-HIFI-Cable-for-Etymotic-ER4P-ER4B-ER4S-ER4SR-ER4XR-ER4PT/123916846406?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=424688395138&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

How was it? Or if anyone else has it... how is it? (Am thinking I'll get the regular 3.5mm one, but I'd be interested in hearing about balanced too).

I have a broken cable, it's out of warranty. I called Etymotic, they said they do not do repairs any more, no point in sending it in. You just buy a new cable from the site, for $79.00. That's a lot more expensive than the $28.40 for that cable above from ebay... if it's just as good!! (or better) How's the sound quality, the solidity of the cable connection? Are the cords flexible enough?

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #15,769 of 19,246
I'm looking for replacement black foam eartips, and I'm based in Eastern Europe.... is there anywhere which could deliver to me before my current and only pair wears out?

Nov 19, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #15,774 of 19,246
How does etymotic er2 or er4 sound without triple tips? I have sensitive ears so i really cant insert inear deeply...
The less shallow insert the greater will be ear canal resonances. So you might get sibilants and other annoying artefacts when these are not inserted deeply enough. You can fix resonances using EQ. I did shallow insertion using foamies ages ago and always used to get a terrible 8k peak. I fought it using EQ either at 8k or 7.5k and i would ask myself what i was doing wrong as people rarely reported it. Well, then according to measurements which were published later this peak is there: https://clarityfidelity.blogspot.com/2016/09/etymotic-research-er4sr-iem.html ! Please read see the website page i mentioned as it gives excellent overview of how etymotic behaves.
TLDR: Shallow insertion is not optimal. resonances plus hf lift. This can be fought with EQ and use of higher resistance dampers.

Nov 19, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #15,775 of 19,246
The less shallow insert the greater will be ear canal resonances. So you might get sibilants and other annoying artefacts when these are not inserted deeply enough. You can fix resonances using EQ. I did shallow insertion using foamies ages ago and always used to get a terrible 8k peak. I fought it using EQ either at 8k or 7.5k and i would ask myself what i was doing wrong as people rarely reported it. Well, then according to measurements which were published later this peak is there: https://clarityfidelity.blogspot.com/2016/09/etymotic-research-er4sr-iem.html ! Please read see the website page i mentioned as it gives excellent overview of how etymotic behaves.
TLDR: Shallow insertion is not optimal. resonances plus hf lift. This can be fought with EQ and use of higher resistance dampers.
I like the double flanges the best, triple flange second, and foam tips like Comply a distant third.

Nov 19, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #15,776 of 19,246
How does etymotic er2 or er4 sound without triple tips? I have sensitive ears so i really cant insert inear deeply...
Have you tried Comply foams? They are soft so it shouldn't hurt...the softness also dampens the sound so there is less likelihood of sharp resonances

Nov 19, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #15,778 of 19,246
amazon.de delivers to most places or the other European domains (.it .fr .es .nl or even .co.uk) I'm very happy with the Comply foamies.
I am looking for the black foams in particular, and im having trouble finding some on German Amazon....

Nov 19, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #15,779 of 19,246
Just received today the Etymotic ER-4XR ordered from Amazon US to be delivered in Spain. They’re still on offer for 199 dollars and got them for 230 euros with transport and taxes which is 100 euros less than the best price I have ever seen in my country.
I am a rather beginner audiophile although I have since recently a really good pair of cans which are the Denon AH-D7200, amazing but those are clearly limited to home use. I have limited experience with iems and earphones. I have had several cheap Sennheisers that always ended up with a broken cable. Some months ago I bought the Final Audio E4000 which I really like but have very poor isolation since they are semiopen. I was looking for my definitive iems (upgraditis allowing!) mainly for on the go, I sometimes go near the sea where outside noise is really strong, also big city noise, and also for some occasions at home. The Etys looked good, have a really good name, but I could not try them on. I was advised by some in this thread for the XR for the bass. I listen mainly to classical orchestral music, Beethoven, Brahms, Mozart, Dvorak and the like.
My first impression of the Etymotic was bittersweet. Sweet since I did not find any discomfort with the deep insert. I was really worried since it seems to be very personal and many hate it. In the Spanish speaking YouTube world, there are these two Argentinian audiophile reviewers, one loved the Etys while the other said he could not bear them on. First, I tried the triple flanges and then the dual flanges. So far I seem to prefer the dual flanges, comfort and otherwise. As I was explaining, the experience was initially bitter since the music sounded dull and lifeless. That was with the triple flanges. It seems these iems are really very sensitive to the correct positioning. The correct position and you feel out of the world by the isolation. In the wrong position and the sound is rather bad. Thankfully I read about this problem in this thread and I persevered until I found the correct fit. I must say that I always seem to have a problem with my right ear and iems but thankfully here it worked well in the end. When I tried the dual flanges that seem to work better for my ears, then bass suddenly arrived and while the sound is not colored, it has bass and life. With the dual flanges and the correct positioning, I stopped for an hour and listened, really listened to the Beethoven 7th Symphony in a recording by LSO live that I know well. Then also a bit of Mozarts Requiem, and Bach’s Brandenburg concertos, always in known recordings in DSD and 24/96 flac. I used my two daps: A&K SR25 and Sony Nwa-55L with MrWalksmann latest firmware. I must admit I am really impressed. I prefer my Denon headphones I must confess, but those are completely different beasts. These iems are truly fantastic and without any doubt they have exceeded my expectations. It is true that they sound a bit like a speaker monitor, the precision and quality is remarkable. Their fame is truly justified in my opinion. It will be interesting to go back to the Final E4000 after a few days of Etys. I guess they will sound too bassy and certainly not as precise.
Now I have been using the Etys for three hours no problem of comfort and really liking the sound more and more. I have to readjust my right ear sometimes but no problem.
Other things for other interested buyers I found it was unclear in reviews. The box nowadays comes with the two cases, the small pocket one that is more practical in my opinion (was not there before it seems) and the bigger that can easily house any of my daps which are both on the smaller side.
Also the box includes the triple flanges, the foams and a whole set of twin flanges inside the small pouch that for me are the best. These apparently were not included before.
The only thing I dislike so far is the cable, I find the microphonics of the cable uncomfortable. It improves it is true with the shirt clip and neckband but it is still there! Is is unavoidable or are there other cables that solve this problem?
I would like to thank all in this community since their comments helped me with this excellent purchase.
I include some pics that would be interesting for some I hope!

0A5723BC-78D8-4040-8697-DB21F133BB34.jpeg

261763F3-082D-4677-AC48-41CA8EC57E90.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back