If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 1, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #15,526 of 19,251
Help me understand how an ear tip can change the sound signature of an Etymotic? Do they somewhat plug up the hole in the end? Maybe obstruct a portion of your ear canal? Since discovering Etymotic, that's all I use for portable listening. I've experimented with all types of ear tips and none of them actually changed the sound. The only thing different was the level of isolation. Are you certain that's not what you're experiencing?
I am big believer of ear tips in general. They have ability to change sound signature. But in general foam tips provides the most amount of bass. Silicon tips can also vary depending on the material used from soft to hard etc. Then there is size variation.

It’s similar to room acoustics in which placement of the speakers can change the sound perceived.

Oct 1, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #15,527 of 19,251
Hmm, I'm not feeling it. The sound comes out the hole. The ear tips keep the sound from leaking out and keep the phones from falling out of you head. I think it more about how far they are inserted into your ear canal than anything.

Oct 1, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #15,528 of 19,251
Hmm, I'm not feeling it. The sound comes out the hole. The ear tips keep the sound from leaking out and keep the phones from falling out of you head. I think it more about how far they are inserted into your ear canal than anything.
You are right about the fact that the tips are more about isolation. However, I get less detail and better bass response with Comply ear tips (with better isolation). This could also be due to how deep an insertion is possible with different tips.

Oct 1, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #15,529 of 19,251
Help me understand how an ear tip can change the sound signature of an Etymotic? Do they somewhat plug up the hole in the end? Maybe obstruct a portion of your ear canal? Since discovering Etymotic, that's all I use for portable listening. I've experimented with all types of ear tips and none of them actually changed the sound. The only thing different was the level of isolation. Are you certain that's not what you're experiencing?
The isolation is of course one factor and it can noticeably affect the low end.
Another cause for sound change is that the ear canal has a given shape and volume, and that will make it resonate at a given frequency.
Ear-resonance.jpg

Here you see an average ear canal resonance near 3kHz in red(5). But of course different people have different ear canals, leading to slight variations in the resonance in both frequency and amplitude. And all that becomes an adventure the moment you put the IEM in your ear and change that ear canal volume. With different tips having different shapes, lengths, sizes, materials, the odds of the final resonance remaining the same aren't all that big. Maybe one tip will let you go deeper, another tip might force you to settle somewhere just because it's the only position where you get a good seal, or just because it's comfy when it's there.
So it's not surprising that some people would notice big changes in the sound when rolling tips. At the same time, because of how different our ear canals and insertion habits can be, the change described by one person might simply not be the one you will experience with those same tips. if you're not bothered by the "tuning" of some tips in your ears, I say, lucky you.

Worth noting that those stuff don't stop at 3kHz. The most significant changes will tend to occur in the treble, as shorter wavelengths are more impacted by our small insertion changes, and shifts in resonances can jump pretty far from their original frequency.

Oct 1, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #15,530 of 19,251
For anyone looking to buy, adorama currently has the ES4SR in and out of sale for 159.99. It's 299.99 right now but earlier today it was 159.99. Price went up, dropped, and then went up again. Might drop again in the near future.

Pulled the trigger on a pair. Excited to try these out with my Qudelix 5k.

Might be able to use the call to order function on the product page stating it was 159.99 earlier today to honor price. Amazon won't price match.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201001-200934_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201001-200934_Chrome.jpg
    410.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #15,531 of 19,251
I did not had contatc with lunashop, I aquired mine through aliexpress andt hey came shipped with the nodge. The noth is not a big deal, i also have a Fiio cable that does not have the notch and they work fine as well (after a small mod on the mmx connector, not related to the notch)
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/if-...r4-this-is-the-thread-for-you.538615/page-858

Thanks, it's good to hear that we can mod fiio cables for the etys.

Been wondering of the cable type sweet spot for durability, flexibility and microphonics. I'm not used to aftermarket cables and I'm sure there are a lot of differing opinions when I comes to cables, and I'm probably looking for something that's more durable than the standard etymotic cable.

I'm leaning toward the 8-core cable, but on browsing there's a whole can of worms with PCOCC/Hi-res brown cables etc. ><

Oct 1, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #15,532 of 19,251
For anyone looking to buy, adorama currently has the ES4SR in and out of sale for 159.99. It's 299.99 right now but earlier today it was 159.99. Price went up, dropped, and then went up again. Might drop again in the near future.

Pulled the trigger on a pair. Excited to try these out with my Qudelix 5k.

Might be able to use the call to order function on the product page stating it was 159.99 earlier today to honor price. Amazon won't price match.
I’m soooo close to picking up the er4sr... and I only bought the er2xr a few weeks ago

But, seeing all the recent price drops on the ER series makes one think a new etymotic line is incoming... are they due for a next generation ety???

Oct 1, 2020 at 10:40 PM Post #15,533 of 19,251
I’m soooo close to picking up the er4sr... and I only bought the er2xr a few weeks ago

But, seeing all the recent price drops on the ER series makes one think a new etymotic line is incoming... are they due for a next generation ety???
I highly doubt it. Etymotics are not a company with a history of releasing the next generation very often, so I believe you will be safe purchasing the ER4SR and I'm almost certain there won't be a ER4SR version 2... this year or next year...

Oct 2, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #15,534 of 19,251
After all these years, just changed tips from Shure Olives' to Etymotic triple flange and I should admit that triple flange is the most suitable tips for Etys IMHO. Because of tight fit, sound is definitely more refined. I still love olives, they're the most comfortable tips for me but when it comes to Etymotic, it's triple flange for me from now on. Etymotic knows it.

And also, when I was using S, triple flange caused little bit pain but with SR there's no pain at all. If you experienced similar pain with S, you should give it a try with SR. You won't regret.

Oct 2, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #15,535 of 19,251
The dip in the treble moves around the deeper or shallower the fit. Also, the intensity of the 2K and 10K (and above) regions changes based on insertion depth as well. To get the clearest sound you're meant to insert the IEM so that it doesn't go completely inside the ear canal.

Oct 5, 2020 at 1:24 AM Post #15,536 of 19,251
Different people have different ear canal shapes. I can't use the 3-flange tips that come with Ety's because inserting them into my ears pinches them, as you mentioned as one possibility. For several years now, I've only used the Comply T100 size, smaller size or the Shure "Olives.". Very comfortable, shallow insertion, excellent isolation.

Oct 5, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #15,537 of 19,251
Different people have different ear canal shapes. I can't use the 3-flange tips that come with Ety's because inserting them into my ears pinches them, as you mentioned as one possibility. For several years now, I've only used the Comply T100 size, smaller size or the Shure "Olives.". Very comfortable, shallow insertion, excellent isolation.

same, i also can't use the 3 flange because it bends and chokes the sound if i push it to deep. i usually use a double flange that i got from a cheap IEM, and i recently tried some spinfit twinblades that were mostly useless for me on regular IEMs, but (surprisingly) fit nicely on my Etys. sounds a bit different from triflanges, but not a bad sound either

Oct 5, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #15,538 of 19,251
Can I use the knowels-BF-1861 filter here for the ER3SE and ER4SR lines?
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/knowles/BF-1861-000/655321

The OEM green filters cost more than $3 a piece. And I can get those for <$1.5 in bulk. I saw that this can be done with the original ER4S from this thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/nrb...rom-an-ety-yes-yes-yes-how-to-nrb-mod.626457/

I am just wondering if anyone has tried to save a bit by buying the filter in bulk. Also the 1861 filter seems to be made of metal, which is probably more durable.

Oct 6, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #15,539 of 19,251
Weird how so many are quick to class ER4SR/ER4XR decay/attack as a issue like with planar/electrostatic. But when i had the SRH 1540, IE 80s for a bit dynamic drivers suffer from horrid overshoot in 50 ~ 100Hz area. Like i try Sunn O)))'s Richard which is great test for 80Hz band, On DDs it can take 50ms ~ 120ms to giving the impression of more bass & causing bass bleed.

But on the ER4XR it only takes 2.5 ~ 15ms so the lack of punch is it showing what note really sounds like. When the ER4S/SR is given a 120Hz low shelf of +5db sounds much cleaner which shows on breakcore like POS that can pass 6db <100Hz while DDs sounds like there struggling. Dynamic Speakers don't have this issue since they can use a woofer or multi driver config.

TL:DU = Current dynamic headphones could sound like BA/Planar/electrostatic if they use dual driver 36mm Woofer + 18mm mids/treble than a single driver.

Oct 7, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #15,540 of 19,251
When the ER4S/SR is given a 120Hz low shelf of +5db sounds much cleaner which shows on breakcore like POS that can pass 6db <100Hz
If you boost the bass frequency regions, does some imbalance become apparent? Try detaching the drivers and swapping them around

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back