If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jun 11, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #15,196 of 19,242
Does the ER4SR sound identical to the ER4s? I have the ER4p (still in excellent condition ) with the S adapter and am wondering whether the ER4SR is worth purchasing...
Very, very similar but not quite 100% exact.

Etymotic%252520Research%252520ER4SR%252520-%252520er4s%252520raw.png

Jun 11, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #15,197 of 19,242
Does the ER4SR sound identical to the ER4s? I have the ER4p (still in excellent condition ) with the S adapter and am wondering whether the ER4SR is worth purchasing...
No, they don't sound the same. I've used the ER4S for over 6 years, and the ER4SR for a few months. To my ears, my main takeaways are
  • ER4S is a little more pronounced/forward, where the ER4SR takes a few steps back in its presentation (not to be confused with increased sound stage depth)
  • ER4S is a little easier to drive
  • ER4S has mids forward a little more where the ER4SR is a bit more ruler-flat
  • ER4SR has better precision with instrument separation and not getting muddled during high-intensity passages, where the ER4S can occasionally sound a little "smoothed over"
Overall I very slightly prefer the ER4S but I think that's 90% a matter of the music I listen to. I still taken time to use my ER4SR for multiple hours every week.

I would actually say the ER2SE sounds closer to the ER4SR, than the ER4S does.

Jun 11, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #15,198 of 19,242
No, they don't sound the same. I've used the ER4S for over 6 years, and the ER4SR for a few months. To my ears, my main takeaways are
  • ER4S is a little more pronounced/forward, where the ER4SR takes a few steps back in its presentation (not to be confused with increased sound stage depth)
  • ER4S is a little easier to drive
  • ER4S has mids forward a little more where the ER4SR is a bit more ruler-flat
  • ER4SR has better precision with instrument separation and not getting muddled during high-intensity passages, where the ER4S can occasionally sound a little "smoothed over"
Overall I very slightly prefer the ER4S but I think that's 90% a matter of the music I listen to. I still taken time to use my ER4SR for multiple hours every week.

I would actually say the ER2SE sounds closer to the ER4SR, than the ER4S does.

It is incredible how this is talking about the new ER2SE, I own an ER3SE (previously an ER4p and an HF3)

Is it a good option to change from an ER3SE to an ER2SE?

I am very intrigued!

Jun 11, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #15,199 of 19,242
It is incredible how this is talking about the new ER2SE, I own an ER3SE (previously an ER4p and an HF3)

Is it a good option to change from an ER3SE to an ER2SE?

I am very intrigued!
IMO I am a little disappointed by the ER3SR/XR series. It sounds like a lower-resolution version of the ER4SR/XR, a direct downgrade for less money, which makes fiscal business sense but doesn't impress me as a collector and lover of music. The ER3 are still very technically competent compared to earphones in general, but it almost sounds like ER4 drivers that didn't make the final QC cut. Warmer, not as perfectly balanced, not as deep and precise of imaging.

Whereas the ER2 has almost all the same resolution and depth and clarity of the ER4, it's just like a different take on the same formula. For $150 MSRP of the ER2 v. $300 MSRP of the ER4SR/XR, if your goal is to save money it's a no brainer to skip over the ER3 and get the ER2 instead.

Jun 11, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #15,200 of 19,242
No idea why the Etymotic ER4B is so rare out of all the ety's. For midrange and treble clarity/res it blows the ER4S/SR out of the water, With shelf filters pretty easy to do on a ER3SE/ER4SR. Or maybe I'm just a low key treblehead. lol

It sounds like a lower-resolution version of the ER4SR/XR
The ER3 has like -5db less treble than the ER4 has, The ER3SE is pretty much a ER4PT with bit more sensitivity. That how i saw the ER4PT had before using the S cable on it.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #15,201 of 19,242
I personally find the B being overly sharp with most modern music recording, but great with older, early 80s and before recording.

Jun 12, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #15,202 of 19,242
I had a 4B for a while and was utterly taken with it. It seemed like I could hear every tine of a brush hitting a cymbal, every bean in the maracas. Amazing. But in my case the effect was my attention was focused on that stuff and I wasn't really hearing the rest of the composition. It was too far from real life. So I got it switched to a 4S, which was always my reference sound until the 4SR came along.

Jun 12, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #15,203 of 19,242
I had a 4B for a while and was utterly taken with it. It seemed like I could hear every tine of a brush hitting a cymbal, every bean in the maracas. Amazing. But in my case the effect was my attention was focused on that stuff and I wasn't really hearing the rest of the composition. It was too far from real life. So I got it switched to a 4S, which was always my reference sound until the 4SR came along.

The 4B seems respond better to DSP like crossfeed than 4SR does. But it really does show how high the detail/res on the ER4/ER3 really is, Since when i tried it on the 2SE it still sounded soft.

Jun 12, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #15,204 of 19,242
IMO I am a little disappointed by the ER3SR/XR series. It sounds like a lower-resolution version of the ER4SR/XR, a direct downgrade for less money, which makes fiscal business sense but doesn't impress me as a collector and lover of music. The ER3 are still very technically competent compared to earphones in general, but it almost sounds like ER4 drivers that didn't make the final QC cut. Warmer, not as perfectly balanced, not as deep and precise of imaging.

Whereas the ER2 has almost all the same resolution and depth and clarity of the ER4, it's just like a different take on the same formula. For $150 MSRP of the ER2 v. $300 MSRP of the ER4SR/XR, if your goal is to save money it's a no brainer to skip over the ER3 and get the ER2 instead.

Thanks for your detailed answer!

It is obvious that if I were to buy a new unit right now it would be between er2se and er4se, but the question is whether it is worth selling my ER3SE to buy a new ER2SE.

Thank you!

Jun 12, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #15,205 of 19,242
My Ety ER2SE arrived today and tried it out for a half hour. Initial impressions are mostly positive, the sound is more or less what I was hoping for, something relaxing and accurate. I wasn’t sure what to expect for a soundstage but it’s fine. I think I’ll need to fidget with tips and the fit to get everything dialed in right. A little patience, that’s all.

Comfort-wise I think it will take a dozen or so listening sessions to get over the this thing needs to be broken in feeling like you get with a new pair of boots.. It’s not bad but it’s not good either.

It’s definitely a keeper.

Jun 12, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #15,206 of 19,242
My Ety ER2SE arrived today and tried it out for a half hour. Initial impressions are mostly positive, the sound is more or less what I was hoping for, something relaxing and accurate. I wasn’t sure what to expect for a soundstage but it’s fine. I think I’ll need to fidget with tips and the fit to get everything dialed in right. A little patience, that’s all.

Comfort-wise I think it will take a dozen or so listening sessions to get over the this thing needs to be broken in feeling like you get with a new pair of boots.. It’s not bad but it’s not good either.

It’s definitely a keeper.

I've had the ER4XR for about a month and just went through this. The hardest part is sticking these things in and out over and over trying to find which tips and/or size combinations are right for you. My ears were raw for a day or so, but now i just jam them in and they "disappear" completely.

Jun 12, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #15,207 of 19,242
I've had the ER4XR for about a month and just went through this. The hardest part is sticking these things in and out over and over trying to find which tips and/or size combinations are right for you. My ears were raw for a day or so, but now i just jam them in and they "disappear" completely.
Thanks.

I’ve been lurking here on this thread for the past winter deciding on whether I wanted them or not. Actually, I was deciding between the 3se or the 4sr. I didn’t want to spend $400 Cdn on the 4sr and for no real reason the 3se didn’t appeal to me and as I read up about the 2se, it checked all the righr boxes for me.

Is the Audioquest Dragonfly a good choice to pair with the Ety’s? I think I’ll go with the black version, if I go that route. Is it worth the money?

Jun 14, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #15,208 of 19,242
Thanks.

I’ve been lurking here on this thread for the past winter deciding on whether I wanted them or not. Actually, I was deciding between the 3se or the 4sr. I didn’t want to spend $400 Cdn on the 4sr and for no real reason the 3se didn’t appeal to me and as I read up about the 2se, it checked all the righr boxes for me.

Is the Audioquest Dragonfly a good choice to pair with the Ety’s? I think I’ll go with the black version, if I go that route. Is it worth the money?
I can recommend the radsone earstudio 100 mk2 very highly. Powerful amp, clear detailed dac and exceptional control with the app.

Jun 15, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #15,209 of 19,242
So, just read the manual for the Etymotion Bluetooth cable. Looks like “Awareness Mode”, didn’t make it in. Such a shame (though, if my experience with the Radsone ES100 and Fostex TM2 is any indication, most attempts to bolt this onto devices that aren’t TWS earphones or ANC headphones are unusable nonsense anyway).

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #15,210 of 19,242
So, just read the manual for the Etymotion Bluetooth cable. Looks like “Awareness Mode”, didn’t make it in. Such a shame (though, if my experience with the Radsone ES100 and Fostex TM2 is any indication, most attempts to bolt this onto devices that aren’t TWS earphones or ANC headphones are unusable nonsense anyway).

it uses micro usb in 2020..not major problem, but still..
my bigger concern is with that battery pack that seems to rest on the back of the neck. probably not very comfortable using it while resting on the bed.
i paired my ER4XR with ES100 using this 3d printed neckband that can be found on the internet

20200606_162111-01.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back