If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jun 3, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #15,181 of 19,243
The official graphs are the only accurate graphs:
Etymotic_ER4XR_Graphs_ModelResponses.jpg

I think the ER4SR is supposed to be more accurate through the mids (they do sound a bit too warm).

There's the user johnyang1997 who appears to be very knowledgeable who says there are FR differences in the treble and linked to this graph (source: https://clarityfidelity.blogspot.com/2016/10/etymotic-research-er4xr-iem.html):

Etymotic%252520Research%252520ER4XR%252520-%252520er4sr.png

Apparently he has done work with Topping and Moondrop so his comments have a bit of weight. He seems to prefer the SR. I'd like to try the SR and compare to my XR. But then there's the trouble of selling and shipping the one I don't like, or I could keep them both. :smirk:

Jun 5, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #15,184 of 19,243
which ety is the warmest sounding? i am still confused what ety to get.

Jun 5, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #15,187 of 19,243
which ety is the warmest sounding? i am still confused what ety to get.
My ER2XR is slightly warm yet very detailed and punchy. I never have listened to any other Ety, though.

Jun 5, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #15,188 of 19,243
My ER2XR is slightly warm yet very detailed and punchy. I never have listened to any other Ety, though.
how is the decay on them? do they have the usual fast BA decay or the natural dynamic driver decay? I dislike the BA timbre. I can sacrifice some speed and note accuracy and clarity for timbral improvements. That's why I am considering the ER2XR since they have a dynamic driver. Also, do the mids have some thickness or are thin?

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #15,189 of 19,243
how is the decay on them? do they have the usual fast BA decay or the natural dynamic driver decay? I dislike the BA timbre. I can sacrifice some speed and note accuracy and clarity for timbral improvements. That's why I am considering the ER2XR since they have a dynamic driver. Also, do the mids have some thickness or are thin?
Being a semi natural born basshead, I would say that the decay is quite fast, but the impact is real and very enjoyable. Bass is very well rendered globally. In order to make a comparison, I have a P-EAR-S audio 2BA IEM which can be considered as "bassy" and "warm" for a pure BA structure. The ER2XR's bass is better in terms of impact and naturalness. Mids are not the thicker and fleshier you will hear, that's for sure. They are clear and very well defined, with a realistic presence. Try them and return them if you don't like what you hear, but even me, coming from a Final E5000 (it says a lot), I really love the sound signature of the ER2XR, a nice blend of warmth, oomph and details.

Jun 6, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #15,191 of 19,243
I'm going to say that those claims about BA timbre are mostly bogus. The problem with the ER4 is that it has slightly laid back treble in some places and not an impressive amount of detail both of which contribute to this sense of muddiness on stuff like metal but when you actually listen closely it has a very precise and natural timbre. It's just not very detailed. The ER4 kinda reminds me of the HD800 in many ways, it has a similar kind of smoothness, but nowhere near as detailed obviously.

I'd honestly just get the ER4SR but try them with the big clear tips first. Try to get used to those because they give you the most amount of clarity and the intended FR.

Jun 11, 2020 at 12:36 AM Post #15,194 of 19,243
Does the ER4SR sound identical to the ER4s? I have the ER4p (still in excellent condition ) with the S adapter and am wondering whether the ER4SR is worth purchasing...

Strictly speaking no, FR curve wise. Personally I like ER4S a little more, but technically speaking they are pretty close to my ears.

Jun 11, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #15,195 of 19,243
Does the ER4SR sound identical to the ER4s? I have the ER4p (still in excellent condition ) with the S adapter and am wondering whether the ER4SR is worth purchasing...
To me they're different enough that I call the ER4-SR a very worthwhile upgrade. I know to a lot of people the two are close, and sure they're close compared to how far Etys are from other earphones. But me they're pretty different, and where I hear it is especially in realism of timbres like solo cello – where ER-4S can sound kind of thin, as if some resonances weren't picked up in the recording, but when I listen on ER4-SR then yes, it's all there as it should be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back