If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jun 15, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #15,211 of 19,243
DSC_0019a.JPG

Not too bad for an hour or two of soldering.

Jun 15, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #15,212 of 19,243
Looks like Etymotic has a HD600/HD650 situation with the ER4SR and XR. The SR is accurate and bright. The XR is darker but less fatiguing. Almost every measurement shows both having essentially the same mid and treble FR but yet SR just seems brighter.

Jun 15, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #15,213 of 19,243
Looks like Etymotic has a HD600/HD650 situation with the ER4SR and XR. The SR is accurate and bright. The XR is darker but less fatiguing. Almost every measurement shows both having essentially the same mid and treble FR but yet SR just seems brighter.

Not to mention distortion between them is uncanny. The HD650 has worse bass distortion than the 600. The ER4XR has much higher distortion than the 4SR, but unlike the 600 line up they both don't die from a bass boost by EQ. With the ER2SE being a thing the HD600 is even more outdated than it already is without even bringing up the ER4SR.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #15,214 of 19,243
I originally bought the 4XR, but exchanged for SR's - in the past I always erred on the side of neutral vs warm - I had MDR 7506's (vs V6), HD 600 (vs650). But after having the SR's for a while I just had to go back to the XR. However I still much prefer the 600's over the 650's...

Jun 15, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #15,215 of 19,243
Thanks.

I’ve been lurking here on this thread for the past winter deciding on whether I wanted them or not. Actually, I was deciding between the 3se or the 4sr. I didn’t want to spend $400 Cdn on the 4sr and for no real reason the 3se didn’t appeal to me and as I read up about the 2se, it checked all the righr boxes for me.

Is the Audioquest Dragonfly a good choice to pair with the Ety’s? I think I’ll go with the black version, if I go that route. Is it worth the money?
Don't scrimp. Go with the DF Red. There's one for sale here for $110 shipped. Good deal.

Jun 16, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #15,217 of 19,243
After owning my ER3SE's for 5+ months i really think BA >> Dynamic drivers. On metal it feels like the driver can keep up while on the 2SE/SRH1540/XBA N1 it struggles. The detail/res is much higher since i can hear bits missing on most DD stuff. The BA thd is a weak argument since ER4s with <0.4% are a thing.

Jun 16, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #15,218 of 19,243
After owning my ER3SE's for 5+ months i really think BA >> Dynamic drivers. On metal it feels like the driver can keep up while on the 2SE/SRH1540/XBA N1 it struggles. The detail/res is much higher since i can hear bits missing on most DD stuff. The BA thd is a weak argument since ER4s with <0.4% are a thing.
Depends on which dynamic driver also some are super fast , some fast , some medium, Some slow, some super slow

Jun 16, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #15,219 of 19,243
Depends on which dynamic driver also some are super fast , some fast , some medium, Some slow, some super slow

The HD6XX is always the go to headphone when planar/BA speed is said unnatural. But i too notice they oddly ignore some Dynamic drivers can be very fast, The ER2SE is a example when given more juice from my LG V20. Same with mid tier dynamic 2.1 set up's.

Jun 16, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #15,220 of 19,243
What parts are interchangeable? For instance, will an ER4 cable fit an ER2? What about ear tips? Interchangeable? The reason I ask is the ER2 cable looks sketchy so I'm shopping around for a backup. Thanks.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #15,221 of 19,243
Eartips are interchangeable across the ER line. Cables are interchangeable among ER4-SR/XR, ER3-SE/XR, and ER2-SE/XR, but not between those and the older ER-4S/4P/4B models.

ER2 and ER3 cables are fine in my experience (I think they're the same except the splitter color), but the ER4 cables are more substantial, braided, and also longer.

Jun 16, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #15,222 of 19,243
I finally figured out the ER4SR. I initially thought they were a tad too bright. Somewhat like drinking a glass of ice water.

So basically, the double-flanged tips allow the earphone to go deeper. I was originally using the triple-flanged size L because the size S was too small. It was a good snug fit but the diameter of the third and largest flange was such that it stopped the earphone from going deeper. The two flanges on the double-flange size M are the same size as the first two flanges of the triple-flange size L. It's missing the largest third flange so it allows you to push the earphone to the maximum depth. In my case I was able to push it a millimeter or two deeper. This is essentially the "double-flange mod" that some people were doing before Etymotic finally released the official ones.

Now everything is well. It feels like the music is directly injected into my brain. This earphone is like a precision science instrument so a millimeter or two makes a difference. There is a fine line between it sounding too bright or just right.

Jun 17, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #15,224 of 19,243
I am able to buy a new pair of either the er2se or er3se for the exact same price. This is an interesting situation, as I have never heard any of the erxxx series of iems. Between the er2se and er3se, which is the preferred choice by most here, and which would the majority of you pick if costing exactly the same ?

Edit: I should mention as well that my music genres are hard rock and heavy metal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back