If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
May 31, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #15,166 of 19,249
Trying to understand what is wrong with my er2xr measurement via Arta and a Dayton imm-6 mic (didn't load up the calibration file.)

What accounts for the big dip in the sub-bass and lower bass regions? I coupled the iem with a 8mm tube and placed the ety between 1mm to 12 mm distances from the mic with no difference in the overall shape of the graph.

er2xr_test.png
thought it could be my laptop's sound card, so I hooked up my Fiio BTR3, same thing. :frowning2:

May 31, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #15,168 of 19,249
Jun 1, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #15,171 of 19,249
From with the help with oratory1990 here a EQ profile for the ER4B sound.

Band 1 = 3KHz, Q 0.3 - 5dB < Says this will be like the high pass filter used

Band 2 = 6KHz, Q 0.7 - 5dB < needed if your owning a ER3SE/ER4P, Like the ER4P/S ohm adaptor

Band 3 = 100Hz, Q 0.7 - 3dB < If you want the 4XRs bass, Do 6db if you want 2XR bass which imo the BAs do better because of their speed.

Yes the pre gain = -10 if your on a ER4PT/ER3SE, -5 ~ -6 if on a ER4SR.

No idea why the ER4B was forgotten the mids blow the ER4S out of the water.

Jun 1, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #15,172 of 19,249
What's the real story on the FR difference between the ER4XR and ER4SR? Crinacle's graph shows they're both identical except for a slight bass boost on the XR. I've seen another graph that shows the SR has a hair more treble in certain places. Doesn't Crinacle's graphs have a reputation for being relatively accurate?

Jun 1, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #15,173 of 19,249
What's the real story on the FR difference between the ER4XR and ER4SR? Crinacle's graph shows they're both identical except for a slight bass boost on the XR. I've seen another graph that shows the SR has a hair more treble in certain places. Doesn't Crinacle's graphs have a reputation for being relatively accurate?

Different measuring gears can produce slightly different result, nothing wrong with that.

Jun 1, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #15,174 of 19,249
The official graphs are the only accurate graphs:
Etymotic_ER4XR_Graphs_ModelResponses.jpg

I think the ER4SR is supposed to be more accurate through the mids (they do sound a bit too warm).

Jun 1, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #15,175 of 19,249
For those who might be "on the fence" in considering a pair of Etys and have hesitated because of the deep insertion, grab some of these foam tips and drop any concerns you might have with discomfort. Very slow rebound, soft and comfy. Doesn't feel any more uncomfortable than a typical iem and sound is not noticeably compromised, other than a tad more bass evident (?). ER2XR's at $120 on Amazon is a fantastic deal for a pair of IEM's that are endgame for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VXLQYGQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jun 2, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #15,176 of 19,249
For those who might be "on the fence" in considering a pair of Etys and have hesitated because of the deep insertion, grab some of these foam tips and drop any concerns you might have with discomfort. Very slow rebound, soft and comfy. Doesn't feel any more uncomfortable than a typical iem and sound is not noticeably compromised, other than a tad more bass evident (?). ER2XR's at $120 on Amazon is a fantastic deal for a pair of IEM's that are endgame for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VXLQYGQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'd rather recommend the stock foam tips but they might give you some sharp upper treble peaks depending on insertion depth. They have smaller ones too.

Jun 2, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #15,177 of 19,249
I still love my ER4XR. One of those headphones/earphones that you could live with as your only one if you needed to just because it does so little wrong.

After 4 months of use I still was a little iffy about the fit and comfort of the triple flange tips. Some days they would feel totally fine and other days they would almost hurt. Decided to try the dual flange tips that came with my set and I don’t know why I didn’t do this sooner. Found the small sized ones to fit best and now I love these even more.

For one thing, WAY more comfortable and much easier to insert. The sound is a little different though. For one thing, they sound a little more open and airy, and the treble sounds a little less dark, making them seem a little wider. Mids are about the same but the timbre is a little more natural and with more clarity, maybe just a tad less warm. Bass seems to be a little reduced in comparison. I normally felt that these had enough all the time but now I find it lacking just a little on some music. Fortunately, these things take to a bass boost on my Fiio so well, way better than other headphones I’ve used.

Jun 2, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #15,178 of 19,249
For one thing, WAY more comfortable and much easier to insert. The sound is a little different though. For one thing, they sound a little more open and airy, and the treble sounds a little less dark, making them seem a little wider. Mids are about the same but the timbre is a little more natural and with more clarity, maybe just a tad less warm. Bass seems to be a little reduced in comparison. I normally felt that these had enough all the time but now I find it lacking just a little on some music. Fortunately, these things take to a bass boost on my Fiio so well, way better than other headphones I’ve used.

It crazy how night and day a bad fit is to a perfect fit. Noticed that too with ER3/ER4 they take a bass boost no problem, without hurting the sound.

Jun 3, 2020 at 12:47 AM Post #15,179 of 19,249
Did the MMCX connector fit well and without slack, just like the original cable?
It fits well. Holds tight, but allows rotation. It does not force you to attach it in one way only, the connector is attachable anyhow you rotate it, and there IS a click, it holds tight.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back