If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jul 22, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #13,891 of 19,251
I can put up with the Etys for over 8 hours. Though the last few hours the ear produces so much ear wax they become slippery and don't seal well anymore...
I don't find Ety deep insertion even remotely comfortable although I can put up with it. I think foam provides better fit than the triple flanges with the new models. I don't like the fit at all, and I notice sound being effected. But, then again I'm not keen on the flat to bass roll-off response. After years of trying put various iems, I know it can't be real accuracy.

Is it even perceptually even responsed based on our sensory? To my ears, no.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #13,892 of 19,251
Watch out for that. If your eartips get stuck in your ear it's time for an eartip change. The sounds gets muffled when the eartips get damaged by ear fluid.

I don't find Ety deep insertion even remotely comfortable although I can put up with it. I think foam provides better fit than the triple flanges with the new models. I don't like the fit at all, and I notice sound being effected. But, then again I'm not keen on the flat to bass roll-off response. After years of trying put various iems, I know it can't be real accuracy.

I don't think the bass is affected with the foam tips. You probably don't get a good seal with the triple flange tips. One thing I notice with the foam tips is that they don't offer the deap seal you need so you get something like too much 1-2K and emphasized treble with perhaps lowered peaks, not in amplitude but frequency.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #13,894 of 19,251
don't think the bass is affected with the foam tips. You probably don't get a good seal with the triple flange tips. One thing I notice with the foam tips is that they don't offer the deap seal you need so you get something like too much 1-2K and emphasized treble with perhaps lowered peaks, not in amplitude but frequency.
I can't speak specifically for Ety, but gnerally foam changes the response of bass to less tactile sounding bass compared to silicone( and particular types as varities of surface of the silicone seems to change bass qualities). Softer, not as tight and impactful. Ety don't have the kind of bass to be significantly noticible like large diameter dynamic drivers that moves much greater volume of air. I feel like I need larger triple flanges than large. Not entirely sure what I have is large actually.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #13,895 of 19,251
I don't think the bass is affected with the foam tips. You probably don't get a good seal with the triple flange tips. One thing I notice with the foam tips is that they don't offer the deap seal you need so you get something like too much 1-2K and emphasized treble with perhaps lowered peaks, not in amplitude but frequency.
my ears also don't let me go as deep with the grey foam(still pretty deep though). and clearly the main result for me is a bigger sub roll off compared to proper seal on triflange. I can see something a little similar measured in my coupler, but not as much of a low freq drop as I subjectively experience. no clue if it's a matter of the flanges shaking and being felt shaking, or if my ears just don't seal with the foam as well as the metal cone in the coupler, or whatever else I haven't considered, but let's just say I'm glad I can EQ the low end a little with the foam. the shift in resonance can be pretty noticeable too, but even with the foam I can go deep enough to get something I like. if I pull the IEMs out more, then I really start to hate how they sound(it's been that way with all Ety IEMs for me), so it's pretty intuitive to know when I'm not going deep enough ^_^.

Jul 22, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #13,896 of 19,251

So what is a "real accuracy"?

Jul 22, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #13,897 of 19,251
So what is a "real accuracy"?

I think there was a thread in the Sound Science forum about what accuracy (or maybe detail) actually is, and long story short, nobody really knows. According to Etymotic, accuracy was measured by cyclically recording and playing audio through the Ety IEMs using a test GRAS sensor 3 times, and measured the deviation from the original signal, but more info would be cool.

Also, as someone smarter than myself has stated, winning an argument against an idiot is impossible, so... @JohnYang1997 , welcome to the VIP list. Joe Bloggs, while still disappointingly immature, did provide some well backed evidence, and I learned a bit from his posts. Live and learn people.

Jul 22, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #13,898 of 19,251
I think there was a thread in the Sound Science forum about what accuracy (or maybe detail) actually is, and long story short, nobody really knows. According to Etymotic, accuracy was measured by cyclically recording and playing audio through the Ety IEMs using a test GRAS sensor 3 times, and measured the deviation from the original signal, but more info would be cool.

What Etymotic did was play a music track through headphones mounted on a Kemar dummy with a coupler/mic in its ear, record the track through that coupler mic, then take that recording and play it back through the same headphones mounted on the same Kemar dummy with a coupler/mic in its ear, then take that next recording and play it back through the same headphones.... You get the idea. After several iterations, most headphones would have the recording sounding like a mess, whereas with ER4s, the recording still sounded reasonable even after several passes. This was to demonstrate how much more accurate the Etys were. Cool party trick, but if one really wants to play Devil's advocate, there are some caveats.

1) Your ears are unlikely to perfectly match that coupler at any SPL.
2) Mics tend to measure very flat over a wide range of SPLs, but our hearing doesn't work that way. We're less sensitive to low and high frequencies at lower volumes, which is why we have A-weighting and equal loudness curves. At lower SPLs on real ears, I'd bet the Etys would be off too. That would probably be hard to demonstrate without some form of Monty-Pythonesque live-organ donation though.

Also, as someone smarter than myself has stated, winning an argument against an idiot is impossible, so... @JohnYang1997 , welcome to the VIP list. Joe Bloggs, while still disappointingly immature, did provide some well backed evidence, and I learned a bit from his posts. Live and learn people.

I don't know how these things get so lost in translation, but from what I've read here over the last few days, both @Joe Bloggs and @JohnYang1997 seem to me to have been very restrained and respectful, despite the barrage of insults being thrown their way.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #13,900 of 19,251
20190723_191757-01.jpeg

DIY-shorten the cable on my ER4XR to make it more manageable wearing it with the ES100. i just looped the cable a few times and wrapped it with those self adhesive medical /tactical wrap. i wear them behind the neck like sportbands

Jul 24, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #13,901 of 19,251
I personally prefer using Ety IEMs instead of noise cancelling stuff when traveling. the huge factor to consider is how long can you wear those stuck super deep inside your ears before you start hurting? if you have no experience of such IEM, I'd suggest to get yourself like a pair of the cheap options, like Etykid and try to get used to wearing them long before your flights.
some people like me are fine with ear probes for tens of hours at a time, other just don't have the ears for it or just can't relax with such an intrusive feeling, you 'll have to find out yourself which kind you are. I suggested Etykids(because they're cheap so you don't cry when you forget them on the plane), but also in case you're going to venture in plugging anything into the cabin's audio system, that stuff tends to have the captain speak at full volume no matter what volume setting you've set, so you most definitely do not want something very sensitive!!!!! or him talking will become hear damaging loud. some inline Shure volume attenuation or something or the same effect can become your best friend to avoid official ear rape messages while watching a movie(you set things so the movie is blasted at full volume and you adjust with the Shure thingy, that way that treacherous captain will only be as loud as the movie.
and of course if you have to take your IEM out every 10mn because someone decides to talk to you anyway:rage:, chances are that your ears will become irritated after a few in and out repetitions with etymotic IEMs. while some modern headphones with ANC can have all the fancy options and mics to let you hear ambient sounds clearly at the touch of a button without having to move the headphone at all.
so it really depends on the type of travel you expect, and how you feel wearing the respective products.

I’ve had a pair of 4XR for a year now. While I don’t wear them day in, day out (I have a wireless pair for working out, open backs for home), I find myself preferring that sense of fullness provided by the triple-flange tips over the more conventional single-domed tips. I also wear them for work purposes as a conference interpreter, so that should show that I’m quite comfortable with this form factor.

I think I’ll give them a shot in my first flight out, and then decide whether they work well enough or not. And thank you for the reminder that the inflight PA system can rupture eardrums!

Jul 24, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #13,902 of 19,251
I’m thinking about ditching closed cans and just switching over to IEMs entirely; the ER4XR is at the top of my list. They were $250 on Amazon for a while but they went back up to $300. Should’ve made the jump when I had the chance.

What exactly is the ER4-PT? It has more customer reviews on Amazon than the SR and XR. Is it the same earphone as the SR but with different tips?

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #13,903 of 19,251
I’m thinking about ditching closed cans and just switching over to IEMs entirely; the ER4XR is at the top of my list. They were $250 on Amazon for a while but they went back up to $300. Should’ve made the jump when I had the chance.

What exactly is the ER4-PT? It has more customer reviews on Amazon than the SR and XR. Is it the same earphone as the SR but with different tips?
it's the old ER4 series(er4 that turns to er4s with the impedance adapter), and the PT label was I believe just saying that it came with a measurement graph. nothing wrong with those, but the SR/XR are the new generation of the 4 series.

Jul 24, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #13,905 of 19,251

You act as if you're being humble (by calling Mark Twain / George Carlin etc. "smarter than you"), but you're also being very presumptive about who is an idiot. I would defer to @JohnYang1997 , a formal student in a relevant engineering discipline, for knowledge of the things you and I were discussing. These days, it seems, the smarter and more knowledgeable someone actually is about a subject, the more likely he is to be called an arrogant ass about it online. But calling him an idiot takes the cake! :laughing:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back