If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jul 24, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #13,906 of 19,205
Hmmm. I think the issue with ER4XR for me is the fit. After trying stock foam, I'm getting better low-end response and better isolation as well. I wonder if the triple flange tips I have is medium, not large?

Yeah, I can't get as deep of an insertion with foam. Whatever size triple flanges I have is not working for me.

Jul 24, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #13,907 of 19,205
I personally use and love the Shure olive tips for comfort, isolation and sound.

Jul 25, 2019 at 7:29 AM Post #13,908 of 19,205
I personally use and love the Shure olive tips for comfort, isolation and sound.
Hello, Colors.
I have the most success with the Ety grey foam. Also have best seal/isolation with larger silicone tips like Westone stars.
So am wondering:
-what exactly are the Shure "Olives?" and
-what size should I try first: probably large?
Thanks!
Charlie

Jul 25, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #13,909 of 19,205
Jul 27, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #13,910 of 19,205
As I mentioned earlier, I'm not getting good fit. I know we had a discussion earlier on the triple flange types that's been available over time. ER4P I've owned long ago came with the gray ones, and the updated ones the clear ones which fit badly for me. I found these images on a blog. Maybe I should give the ER38-18 or gray ones a try? Foam works best for me compared to the clear triple flanges.

But, the Ety triple flanges are so expensive! $20 for them. Anybody know cheap alternatives of large size?

https://clarityfidelity.blogspot.com/2016/10/etymotic-research-er4xr-iem.html?view=magazine

pic20150830034149.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #13,911 of 19,205
As I mentioned earlier, I'm not getting good fit. I know we had a discussion earlier on the triple flange types that's been available over time. ER4P I've owned long ago came with the gray ones, and the updated ones the clear ones which fit badly for me. I found these images on a blog. Maybe I should give the ER38-18 or gray ones a try? Foam works best for me compared to the clear triple flanges.

But, the Ety triple flanges are so expensive! $20 for them. Anybody know cheap alternatives of large size?

https://clarityfidelity.blogspot.com/2016/10/etymotic-research-er4xr-iem.html?view=magazine

The ER38-18 are not the same as the older grey ones. I think etymotics discontinued them. I tried them and they were smaller than the older grey ones that I had 6+ years ago. To be honest they were no difference that I can tell from the er38-18cr, just the color. Maybe the grey ones where slightly thicker material. Again both did not work for me as the new large size from etymotics are smaller then they use to be.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #13,912 of 19,205

If you prefer foam over flange, the Shure yellow foams are more comfortable than the grey Etymotic and they have a built-in wax screen.

Jul 27, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #13,913 of 19,205
The ER38-18 are not the same as the older grey ones. I think etymotics discontinued them. I tried them and they were smaller than the older grey ones that I had 6+ years ago. To be honest they were no difference that I can tell from the er38-18cr, just the color. Maybe the grey ones where slightly thicker material. Again both did not work for me as the new large size from etymotics are smaller then they use to be.
That's a shame. Ety points out those are large size, but Amazon reviewers find them not quite large? Perhaps somebody here has the large old ones, and also know of a cheap alternative large ones as replacement (pics highly encouraged! Comparison pic as proof). In my experience, tips vary in surface material type (friction, etc..), shape, etc.. It's very crucial for fit and sound.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #13,914 of 19,205

i never find those triple flanges fit my ears, i also tried those glider foam tips, and i also don't like it.

the only ones that fits me are single flanges with adapters, but those change the trebles of the ER.

the best luck i have is the Yotaphone double flanges. same length and same sound as the Ety triple flanges, but fits me perfectly because of the larger dome size

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2019 at 2:19 AM Post #13,915 of 19,205
Too bad the triple flanges don't fit some ears. They are the best sounding tips with Etys and seems to be crucial to get the "right" treble extension, IMO.

The Vorz Duo with bass switch on and the ER4SR is truly outstanding.

Jul 28, 2019 at 3:34 AM Post #13,916 of 19,205
Too bad the triple flanges don't fit some ears. They are the best sounding tips with Etys and seems to be crucial to get the "right" treble extension, IMO.

The Vorz Duo with bass switch on and the ER4SR is truly outstanding.
I have the old grey triple flanges that fit and sound great. When I compared them to the foam one they sound very similar to my ears. I did prefer the foam ones in the end due to comfort and noise isolation.

Jul 29, 2019 at 2:19 AM Post #13,917 of 19,205
Jul 29, 2019 at 2:24 AM Post #13,918 of 19,205
Jul 29, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #13,919 of 19,205
it's the old ER4 series(er4 that turns to er4s with the impedance adapter), and the PT label was I believe just saying that it came with a measurement graph. nothing wrong with those, but the SR/XR are the new generation of the 4 series.

Actually PT is just the same package as ER4P, but with extra, including a travel (airplane) adapter, a meaurement graph, and a P-to-S adapter. I believe the T stands for Travel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back