If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jul 21, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #13,876 of 19,251
Less bass != more treble. Also you're not even comparing the same form factor here. Might as well talk about loudspeakers vs etys. A big pair of over ears in an ideal listening environment will of course sound more impactful by virtue of it engaging more of your visceral senses. Loudspeakers, more so again.

Even so, Etymotic are right that it's mostly recording dependent. I may demonstrate this by applying said multiband compressor (actually what's needed is an expander in your case) on a recording of your choice.
I notice the same impact difference even on cheap $20 dynamic driver IEMs. It's not just percussion instruments (that's where you might notice it most easily) but instruments in general. They sound more spacious or effortless in a way despite there being less detail overall. But I can definitely tell the BA driver on the ER3 and ER4 is quicker. It has the sort of smooth texture you'd expect from a higher end headphone.

My next headphone will be an electrostatic open back which is coincidentally another type of headphone that gets criticized for not having great dynamic range or impact. It's not that much of an issue for me because I'm looking for that smooth natural texture and detailed instrument reproduction that is easy on the ears.

Jul 21, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #13,877 of 19,251
I notice the same impact difference even on cheap $20 dynamic driver IEMs. It's not just percussion instruments (that's where you might notice it most easily) but instruments in general. They sound more spacious or effortless in a way despite there being less detail overall. But I can definitely tell the BA driver on the ER3 and ER4 is quicker. It has the sort of smooth texture you'd expect from a higher end headphone.

My next headphone will be an electrostatic open back which is coincidentally another type of headphone that gets criticized for not having great dynamic range or impact. It's not that much of an issue for me because I'm looking for that smooth natural texture and detailed instrument reproduction that is easy on the ears.

I do agree that dynamic bass is generally different sounding for BAs, especially versus single BAs. Something about its attack / decay is different. However, the new sony IEM's bass is very well executed, and they sound like dynamic bass. This is not to say that the bass on BAs are not accurate sounding, because I find the ER4SR's bass have better timbre than most of the dynamic IEM's I've heard.

I don't quite understand what "effortless" means though.

Jul 21, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #13,878 of 19,251
I guess the way I would describe that difference, DD vs BA, is that instruments on dynamic driver headphones sound as if they're forced into existence a little. It's not compression. It actually comes across as more instrument separation or more space between instruments. On full range BAs of the sort you find on Etymotics, the instruments kinda hit you all at once with softer impact. Instruments don't stand out as much as they do on a dynamic driver with a more neutral tuning (or EQ-ed to that).

Jul 21, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #13,879 of 19,251
What is hardest to get across in audio circles is the fact that not every observation made by every listener alive is an actual physical phenomenon in need of a new science breakthrough to explain. More often... I'll stop here and show myself the door. :no_mouth:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 21, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #13,880 of 19,251
I think it's probably at least in part explained by distortion when it comes to bass. A headphone can have relatively flat bass when measured but actually be perceived as having more bass due to high THD. Open back headphones are pretty crap when it comes to THD in the bass\sub bass region.

Also, the ER4 might be struggling a bit in the treble\mids due to the same problem. 0.8-1% THD at 1K would be unusual for most dynamic drivers. I would say this fact doesn't necessarily hurt the ER3\ER4 because their drivers are still faster overall.

Jul 22, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #13,881 of 19,251
Any frequent air travelers here?

Would you say that a pair of ER4XR with either the foam or triple flange tips are “good enough” at blocking out most inflight noise?

I will be doing some traveling in the near future, but it isn’t enough traveling to warrant a separate pair of ANC headphones, as much as I love trying out and buying new headphones.

Jul 22, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #13,883 of 19,251
Flight noise is not that noisy is it? My ER3 and ER4XR isolate very well on noisy bus rides with the stock (standard) tips. If you can get a fit with the big tips it might isolate even more. Also, the sound quality on the ER4XR (with the proper seal) is stupendous due to the natural\warm tuning.

Edit: There is a caveat here though. It seems that constant hissing noises interact with these IEMs in a weird way in some cases causing some sort of phase cancellation. Although that flight noise is more like a low frequency hum which shouldn't cause this effect.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #13,884 of 19,251

Would you say that a pair of ER4XR with either the foam or triple flange tips are “good enough” at blocking out most inflight noise?

I will be doing some traveling in the near future, but it isn’t enough traveling to warrant a separate pair of ANC headphones, as much as I love trying out and buying new headphones.
Yes. For me, the triple flange tips are definitely good enough at blocking out most inflight noise. I can sit on the very last row of the plane (where usually the engine noise is loudest) and enjoy music and/or a movie in peace :ksc75smile:

Jul 22, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #13,885 of 19,251

I usually fly with family, including small kids, so isolation isn't really possible.
For the subway though, which I feel is louder than noise in the flight cabin, it blocks most train noise, and with music I don't hear any track sounds or announcements.
I use small comply foams inserted deeply.
After about 2 hours or so though I need a break...so maybe for long flights if the main goal is noise cancelling, Bose QC20 might be better. Sounds less good but you can wear them for 12 hours no problem.

Jul 22, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #13,886 of 19,251

I personally prefer using Ety IEMs instead of noise cancelling stuff when traveling. the huge factor to consider is how long can you wear those stuck super deep inside your ears before you start hurting? if you have no experience of such IEM, I'd suggest to get yourself like a pair of the cheap options, like Etykid and try to get used to wearing them long before your flights.
some people like me are fine with ear probes for tens of hours at a time, other just don't have the ears for it or just can't relax with such an intrusive feeling, you 'll have to find out yourself which kind you are. I suggested Etykids(because they're cheap so you don't cry when you forget them on the plane), but also in case you're going to venture in plugging anything into the cabin's audio system, that stuff tends to have the captain speak at full volume no matter what volume setting you've set, so you most definitely do not want something very sensitive!!!!! or him talking will become hear damaging loud. some inline Shure volume attenuation or something or the same effect can become your best friend to avoid official ear rape messages while watching a movie(you set things so the movie is blasted at full volume and you adjust with the Shure thingy, that way that treacherous captain will only be as loud as the movie.
and of course if you have to take your IEM out every 10mn because someone decides to talk to you anyway:rage:, chances are that your ears will become irritated after a few in and out repetitions with etymotic IEMs. while some modern headphones with ANC can have all the fancy options and mics to let you hear ambient sounds clearly at the touch of a button without having to move the headphone at all.
so it really depends on the type of travel you expect, and how you feel wearing the respective products.

Jul 22, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #13,887 of 19,251
Flight noise is not that noisy is it? My ER3 and ER4XR isolate very well on noisy bus rides with the stock (standard) tips. If you can get a fit with the big tips it might isolate even more. Also, the sound quality on the ER4XR (with the proper seal) is stupendous due to the natural\warm tuning.

Edit: There is a caveat here though. It seems that constant hissing noises interact with these IEMs in a weird way in some cases causing some sort of phase cancellation. Although that flight noise is more like a low frequency hum which shouldn't cause this effect.
Depends on engine size. Some are up to 80dB. 747 for example.

For low frequencies Ety isolation isn't that great. This is why business travelers have Bose headphones with them. Because ANC is superior for engine noise.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #13,888 of 19,251
Depends on engine size. Some are up to 80dB. 747 for example.

For low frequencies Ety isolation isn't that great. This is why business travelers have Bose headphones with them. Because ANC is superior for engine noise.
y not both? Put on Etys with Bose headphones with ANC on outside without audio input :ksc75smile:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 22, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #13,890 of 19,251
I think the ER4SR are the only IEMs I can listen to fatigue free (comfort and sound) as daily drivers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back