If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jul 2, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #13,621 of 19,256
e116pws.jpg

I would be happy if Etymotic made a shorter (1-1.2m) cable.

Right: Null Audio Arete MKIII using Lunashops connectors. Not a fan of these connectors as they make an already long IEM even longer and stick out too much. Also the cable itself is stiff with strong memory effect and quite microphonic.

Left: plusSound X Series re-terminated with I believe the same Aliexpress connectors you used, soldering the tiny connectors isn't easy! The connector is shorter than the Lunashops connector but still not as streamline as the Etymotic connectors.

Really want to try a Linum Super Bax.
I thought the plussound had bad memory effect and sound quality was ok.The Null audio wire memory must be really bad then. There are only like two or three different low end mmcx for the etymotics, that pretty much everyone uses. Which I'm not a fan of the quality or material of them. There is one made in Japan but literally cost an arm and a leg. About $100+.
After looking at all my options for my etymotics, I settled on the pure silver Fiio which cost was about $100. The mmcx doesn't have a notch but fits nice and tight. It's also a single molded connector which feels and looks pretty high quality imo. Memory effect is excellent. Sound quality is excellent too

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #13,622 of 19,256

Built this long before there is a ready-made MMCX connector for ER4SR/XR and it is perfectly usable (also designed to be somewhat locked into the notch so it won't free-spinning). rarely building this anymore as it is not the easiest to solder and take a lot of effort to make. But as far as length goes, it is definitely the shortest and least intrusive.

10206314.jpg

I'm very curious how you like the sound. I see the UP2 is spec'd at 67mW into 32Ω, versus 25mW for the BTR3 and 80mW for the Hiby W5. To me the ER4-SR sounds underpowered from my BTR3, so I've been pondering getting a W5. But I'd prefer Shanling's control scheme (and the ability to use it as a connected DAC/amp). Do you have thoughts about how these three stack up for the ER4-SR?

You can find my short impression of UP2 (as well as W5 and BTR3) here. ER4S and 4SR are part of the IEM I used when writing those impression.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #13,624 of 19,256
After doing more tests since i get much better fit with stock flanges, the SR really fill's out with a 4dB 200Hz low shelf the thinness i got on stock is gone and there no mid/upper bass bleed.
Do you mean an equalizer?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 4, 2019 at 5:17 AM Post #13,626 of 19,256
has anyone checked the channel matching on the ER2 series? particularly on the low end, since I find that the balanced armature ER4 and ER3 earphones , which i have i bought and replaced several times, have inconsistent bass responses between each driver..... now , with my current pair of ER3XR's, I use Equalizer APO to selectively reduce the 40-60hz region by ~1.5db on the side with too much bass when I am listening to things on Windows

Jul 4, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #13,627 of 19,256
Just got the er2xr in. They are tonally very similar to the Sony Ex800ST which kind of shocked me. I might sell them or send them back. Already own the Sonys.

Jul 4, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #13,629 of 19,256
They sound really similar. Ima listen to them for a few more hours.

[edit] OK I hear what you are talking about. There is a certain mid peak that isnt here compared. So far I think these actually compare to both the 800 and KPE very well. Bass is.. good!

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #13,631 of 19,256
That isn't even close, lol. Form factor is very different.

Listening more. Tried Dire Straights Money for Nothing. My god. That is the best I've ever heard this track. EVER!

So far I think these beat the KPE. I'm a mid lover and these are so so good!

Jul 4, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #13,632 of 19,256
I bought the ER4SR back in february, I like it, but I have issues with the fit. They sound ok right after I put them in, but a few seconds later, the sound decrease and sounds a bit muffled. I actually remember having this issue with the Brainwavz B2, so I bought Sure Foam Olives, and those were much better on the B2, and on the Etys they work better than the stock tips, but still I found that the sound is not that full. I don't know if this is an issue with the sealed IEMs and my ear canal. I don't recall having this issue with dynamic IEMs and even some BA like the Sony XBA-4/3/1 or Nuforce HEM-6 doesn't present this issue.

Has anyone here had similar issues with the Etys?

Jul 4, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #13,634 of 19,256
I would say spend some more time with them. Er2xr are far superior than ex800st. No peaks in the highs.

Whoa...I’m not sure about this. Gotta demo it.

Jul 4, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #13,635 of 19,256
That isn't even close, lol. Form factor is very different.

Listening more. Tried Dire Straights Money for Nothing. My god. That is the best I've ever heard this track. EVER!

So far I think these beat the KPE. I'm a mid lover and these are so so good!

imho the KPE is like the Ety "lite", similar, but can't quite touch them. the Regular Kanas however is a different beast and has it's own character that makes it worthy to keep along with my Etys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back